who should be in the rafters?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Gare's numbers for the Sabres are really close to Robert's.

503 GP 500 pts & 524 GP 552 pts

And I love LaFontaine, but he only played 268 regular season games and 19 playoff games as a Sabre.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Horton died while a member of his team. His number should not be in circulation. Period. Whether it is officially retired or it is "unofficially" just removed from circulation doesn't make a difference to me. He can stay.

Of the others, Perreault, Hasek, and maybes on LaFontaine and Martin. That's all I would have.

thekenneth

Jan 25, 2013
who was the jack ass that put
Perreault?

img_redirect.php

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
who was the jack ass that put
Perreault?

That was Jame. I'm pretty sure it was a mistake since Martin and Robert had 0 votes last I saw. I can't imagine he'd say Perrault shouldn't be retired while Martin and Robert should. No one would say that.

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Voted not Horton, keep everyone else.

I can't see permanently honoring a guy who got himself killed racing a sports car away from a police officer without a seatbelt on on a public highway while twice the legal BAC limit. No matter what his accomplishments were while wearing other uniforms.

Without his death, hanging his number in our rafters makes less sense than hanging Nathan Paetsch's number up there would. Given the circumstances of his death, it's a no brainer.

Hang his banner at the Tim Horton's at Harbor Center, that's a good and reasonable place for it.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Tim Horton doesn't come close. He's in there because of "tragedy" which for the record is him driving down QEW highway high on barbiturates and alcohol and crashing his car. There's a lot evidence he got to his addiction by way of his hockey injuries, and it's very sad, but he could have easily killed others that night.

If his play and Time here warrants his inclusion, fine. I don't think it does.

There I said it.

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Probably no to Gare too. He was a good player for Buffalo but honestly if you think Gare deserves to be in the rafters then so does Vanek.

Gare was a better hockey player than Vanek as a Sabre. His first 50 goal season was when he played on the Sabres shut down line. He was fifth in Hart voting in his second 50 goal season. Much better defensive player and 75% of of his goals and assists were at even strength. He was also the captain for 5 seasons in Buffalo before being traded.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Lafontaine is the only one who, for me, clearly does not belong. The perception of what he is is far greater than what he actually did for this team. The guy only really had 2 full seasons on the Sabres, albeit one prolific. The rest were riddled with injuries and what-could-have-beens. If you have LaFontaine in there, you might as well put up Mogilny's - but of course he's not quite deserving either.

For me, Gare is borderline. Horton I can understand for completely different reasons, of course. I like the French connection up as a whole. That was a collectively prolific and iconic line for the franchise. Hasek of course is a no-brainer.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Gilbert Perreault and Dominik Hasek have earned it, but I am not 100% against recognizing the french connection together like they are currently. So I say Robert, Martin, Perreault and Hasek makes for a fine quartet.

I think this is just right. Perhaps with another type of recognition for Horton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad