who should be in the rafters?

Ron C.

Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
I voted everyone. The only reservation I would have is with Tim Horton. I remember exactly where I was standing when I heard the news about his death the night before. He played for the Sabres for such a short period of time that this would be my only hesitation. That being said, he was an important player for this franchise even at his age and I would certainly keep him up in the rafters.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hasek and Perreault are the only 2 I feel 100% certain deserve to be in the rafters, but I'm not vehemently opposed to any of the other jersey retirements either. :dunno:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Hasek and Perreault are the only 2 I feel 100% certain deserve to be in the rafters, but I'm not vehemently opposed to any of the other jersey retirements either. :dunno:

I feel similarly but since there isn't an option and I don't feel right singling out any of the other guys I'll abstain.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Based on the poll options, shouldn't the question be-- who shouldn't be in the rafters?

If its who should be, then I would vote for Mike Ramsey

Rocket Scientist

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle Area
I said no to Horton, by the fact of his short time here. But, he was before my time, maybe I'm underestimating his impact. I do know about the tragedy of his death.

I mean no disrespect to him, and sorry if I sound a little ass-y.

So - a legit question - If he hadn't died the way he did is #2 in the rafters? Feels like retiring his number was about building our young team's history in 1974 more than marking his importance to the team. So, I'd kinda like to know the story more from any of you who were sentient during that era. I was 2 in 1974, for full disclosure.

He was a Leaf for years and years, and they have his number 7 as an "honored number" but not retired, BTW.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
I said no to LaFontaine. He had some great seasons here and he was my favorite player growing up, but he only played 268 games for Buffalo. I think longevity needs to play a role in deciding who gets their number retired.

Probably no to Gare too. He was a good player for Buffalo but honestly if you think Gare deserves to be in the rafters then so does Vanek.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Based on the poll options, shouldn't the question be-- who shouldn't be in the rafters?

If its who should be, then I would vote for Mike Ramsey

Fair enough. Maybe we need a companion poll, but I'll leave that to anyone who feels so inspired.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
I think it should just be #11, #16, and #39. Even LaFontaine is kind of borderline considering he didn't play here that long, but he was the most dominant offensive player they ever had when he did so I feel like that should be rewarded.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
I think that it's time to stop horsing around with this draft sweepstakes and do something bold. Let's preemptively retire 97 McDavid.

LaFontaineToMogilny

Jul 16, 2013
Gilbert Perreault and Dominik Hasek have earned it, but I am not 100% against recognizing the french connection together like they are currently. So I say Robert, Martin, Perreault and Hasek makes for a fine quartet.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To me, 11 and 39 are locks, there are some arguments for 16 I'll listen to, but that is about it. I just don't know if 16 was a Sabre long enough to deserve it.

For me, the discussion should start with HHOFers that are viewed as having been a Sabre during the biggest, most important, part of their career.

11 is a no-brainer and 39 qualifies.

16 is viewed more as an Islander by most fans, I bet.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Rob Ray! 14 seasons, 889 games played for the Sabres (#4), 3189 PIM (#1 by a mile. Next closest is Mike Foligno with 1450)

: )

Seriously, though, Horton is kind of silly for the Sabres. And as someone mentioned, if Gare is in, it's a slippery slope to Vanek. And, for that matter, Mogilny, Pominville and Satan.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Comparison: 124 players have their jerseys retired, of which only 38 are not in the HOF (including a couple shoo ins like lidstrom and selanne). That's based on my count of the wiki page (may be off by 1-2).

KennyFnPowers*

why would you vote NO-HORTON... he OBVIOUSLY had the most significant impact on the BUFFALO AREA.

Naaa-Dooyyyee!

Also, this is a non-vote... c'mon - they're all no-brainers. i think that's how end up getting in the rafters in the first place.... :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad