Who quietly had a very good season

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Brent Burns led his team in scoring for the second year in a row.

Felt like it was Huberdeau's breakout season. Kyle Connor was great all year too.

Kopitar had an under the radar fantastic year.

All I saw on here was how overrated John Carlson is and whoever gives him big money and big term is going to regret it. Led the league with 68pts from the blue line.

But maybe the best kept secret is how good Ivan Provorov and the Flyers are going to be.

Reactions: TheMule93

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Easily Antti Raanta. Sample size be damned, he put up Vezina-worthy numbers on one of the worst teams in the league. Not too many people talk about him though.

Since January, they really weren't one of the worst teams in the league. It takes time for a new coach to change something after a long tenured coach. I was actually impressed with what I saw from the Coyotes from January on, if you pull the stats, it supports that Tocchet really had that team turning a corner and AR was a MASSIVE part of that too.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Surprisingly, due to his injuries, I think Auston Matthews had a pretty quiet season going over a P/G.

Maybe a wrong thread for him. He was definitely talked about every chance people had, but perhaps not in a way he deserves. And this kid deserves to be praised. 34 goals in 62 games is insane. Can't wait to see what he does next year, hopefully playing healthy the whole season.

edit:

I honestly thought his 40 goal rookie campaign was a fluke. Not because I didn't like him, on the contrary I like him a lot. Just didn't think someone his age, playing his position and style he plays can conjure that many goals (he doesn't nit pick, or try to find an open position without the puck. He creates his own scoring chances and capitalizes on them impressively). I don't believe lightning can strike twice on the same spot, so I'm convinced it wasn't a fluke.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Not just Rantanen on the Avs, but Barrie. 57 points in 68 games, and for a Dman, c'mon. The best points per game for any Dman but Karlsson this season.
Truthfully that says more about EK than anything. In a down year, on a whack team, while dealing with injury/tragedy... he’s still the best producing dman in the NHL. Wild.

But I feel like Rantanen started getting love towards the end of the season. Bout a month ago he was the most underrated player in the league, no question. Maybe it’s still him because it’s not enough talk for a 21 year old producing a top 5 total at the RW spot. Imo

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Hampus Lindholm was 10th in goals per game among defensemen and put up the second best shot suppression numbers of all dmen behind only Colin Miller who played much less and easier minutes than him.

And the Ducks media still thinks he’s behind Fowler and now due to +\- and a load of secondary assists also think he’s behind Josh Manson (who admittedly did have one hell of a season).

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Across the league I don't think Raanta, Monahan, Wheeler or Luongo got enough reps.

For my team, someone who usually gets more credit for his defensive ability than anything else - Provorov finished joint top for goals for defensemen.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Provorov had 17 goals, and was tied with Hedman for most even strength goals in the league with 15.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Alex DeBrincat 2017-2018 rookie season in numbers:

- team leading 28 goals
- team leading +/- +6
- team leading 82 games, 3 player tie
- fewest PIM, 6
- 2nd in points, 52
- 2nd in PPG, 6
- 2nd in S%, 15.5
- 3rd in PPP, 12
- 5th in SOG, 181
- 6th in GWG, 1

- 14:48 avg ice time per game
(almost 6 minutes less what Patrick Kane)

- 6th in shots per game, 2.21
- 6th in take aways, 33
- 10th in hits, 40
- 14th in blocked shots, 25, 3 player tie

- was in Hawks top 10, 26 of 32 advanced stat categories,
from those 26, top 5 of 8 categories, in top 8 of 14 categories.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
Not just Rantanen on the Avs, but Barrie. 57 points in 68 games, and for a Dman, c'mon. The best points per game for any Dman but Karlsson this season.

He's also done this without Johnson to shelter him for large stretches of the year.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Nikita Zadorov led the league in hits, with lots being highlight worthy. Chipped in 7 goals/ 20 points with no PP time, and was used as the top pairing defenceman on the left side pretty much the whole season.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Matthews was one of the best players in the league this season but he fell prey to injury, I don't think he really got the recognition he deserves. Hopefully the playoffs will redeem this.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Nick Bjugstad with a nice bounce back season at 49 points. Hopefully he stays healthy and improves on that.

Also, Jonathan Huberdeau new career high at 69 points. He was at a PPG pace for a while but tailed off.

finnishflash

Mar 19, 2018
Felt like it was Huberdeau's breakout season.
Breakout? Nah. I think that the scoring was overall higher this year, Huby had an OK season. He had a great start but when games really mattered, he withered away when he was moved out of the Barkov line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad