Who owned the "Best player in the World" title since the Wayne/Mario era

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Tough to argue 1996 when Lemieux had 161 points in 70 games.

not looking into getting a back and forth over it, but at that point I think at that point Lindros had a better overall game. I felt he was a bigger force on the ice, at that point. again at that point.

And regarding point totals, the Flyers under Murray played a defensive conscious system, while Pittsburgh was more of a country club where flash was preferred. However, that doesn't imply that I'm saying Lindros was a better scorer at that point. Simply their situations were different, again at that point.

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
Based on what? He doesn't have an offensive season that rivals Jagr's or Crosby's best or level of play nor is he close to Crosby's all around game.

I would argue his 2017-2018 regular season is as good if not better than any regular season Crosby ever had. To say none of his last 2 seasons rivals Crosby's season is a joke. His 5v5 production last year was nothing short of spectacular.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I would argue his 2017-2018 regular season is as good if not better than any regular season Crosby ever had. To say none of his last 2 seasons rivals Crosby's season is a joke. His 5v5 production last year was nothing short of spectacular.

He wasn't better than Crosby 2011 to 2013, that is inarguable and that's just looking at offensive production.

I would put McDavid's 16/17 season as being better than this past year's.

Reactions: sanscosm

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
What is your argument that McDavid was at Crosby's level?

Have Crosby hit at least a point per game at 5v5 in a season? Because we all know, majority of the game is played at even strength. But then again, I wouldn't expect any other opinion regarding McDavid vs Crosby from you Troy

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
There was a period after Mario where the best player in the world was almost certainly Czech, whether it was Hasek or Jagr. Lindros and Forsberg were considered the model Messier/Howe peak hockey player, but Forsberg's foot and Lindros' brain didn't let them ascend. Despite the fact no one at the time would have said Brodeur and Lidstrom, those two ended up having the greatest careers.

And then Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin entered the league. And they were the best in the world until Connor McDavid.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Have Crosby hit at least a point per game at 5v5 in a season? Because we all know, majority of the game is played at even strength. But then again, I wouldn't expect any other opinion regarding McDavid vs Crosby from you Troy

Why do ES points matter so much? Do they give your team more goals?

But to answer your question, 2011 and 2013.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
not looking into getting a back and forth over it, but at that point I think at that point Lindros had a better overall game. I felt he was a bigger force on the ice, at that point. again at that point.

And regarding point totals, the Flyers under Murray played a defensive conscious system, while Pittsburgh was more of a country club where flash was preferred. However, that doesn't imply that I'm saying Lindros was a better scorer at that point. Simply their situations were different, again at that point.

He was much closer than their point gap indicated but did he really make up a pace of over 60 points if they had both played the full season (as it stands Lemieux had 22 more goals and 46 more points in 3 less games!) with his physical play and all-around game? I don't think that's possible even if he was the Selke winner. He was better the following season though for sure and better than Jagr or anyone else IMO from 1994-1997.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He wasn't better than Crosby 2011 to 2013, that is inarguable and that's just looking at offensive production.

I would put McDavid's 16/17 season as being better than this past year's.
Crosby scored 197 points in those 3 years, not all that impressive.

Reactions: Voight

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
There was a period after Mario where the best player in the world was almost certainly Czech, whether it was Hasek or Jagr. Lindros and Forsberg were considered the model Messier/Howe peak hockey player, but Forsberg's foot and Lindros' brain didn't let them ascend. Despite the fact no one at the time would have said Brodeur and Lidstrom, those two ended up having the greatest careers.

And then Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin entered the league. And they were the best in the world until Connor McDavid.
Think mid 90s you could chuck Fedorov in that list.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He was much closer than their point gap indicated but did he really make up a pace of over 60 points if they had both played the full season (as it stands Lemieux had 22 more goals and 46 more points in 3 less games!) with his physical play and all-around game? I don't think that's possible even if he was the Selke winner. He was better the following season though for sure and better than Jagr or anyone else IMO from 1994-1997.

Mario was purposely sitting out games that year so there is no need to pace out his totals.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Do you really enjoy changing your argument to fit your narrative every week? Enjoyable to watch you confuse yourself when you keep changing your argument.

The other poster asked if Crosby had hit over a ES PPG in a season. I answered the question,

Do you enjoy pretending to appear that you are actually contributing to a discussion by throwing out insults?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

2016-17 NHL Leaders | Hockey-Reference.com

Before you post a picture of Sid with the cup... team accomplishment (along with the Smythe, which he wouldn't have won without his team).

I am assuming you had McDavid out of your Top 100 players in the league after his rookie season?

And don't need to post a picture of anything when Crosby had more points and a higher PPG than McDavid in 16/17.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad