Who makes their line-mates better: Carter or Kopitar

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
Often times you hear that an ELITE player makes their teammates better. I think we can qualify Carter and Kopitar as ELITE players. We also know that Kopitar has always made his line-mates better. However, the more I think about it... Carter might actually have this edge in the playoffs.

Carter was a big part of "PLAYOFF PENNER", and is now a big part of catapulting these 2 rookies into playoff darlings.

I love both Carter and Kopi, and I'm am happy to have both of these guys on the Kings... I saw the words "playoff penner" in another blog and it got me thinking that Carter actually could be doing more with less around him.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Neither If you ask me, there is truly only one Player in the league that makes his Wingers better.

That's Crosby.

That is my personal opinion. I think Kopitar and Carter compliment and play well off their line-mates, but I don't think they make their wingers better.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Neither If you ask me, there is truly only one Player in the league that makes his Wingers better.

That's Crosby.

That is my personal opinion. I think Kopitar and Carter compliment and play well off their line-mates, but I don't think they make their wingers better.

Kopitar makes his teammates DEMONSTRABLY better. Just look at the goals for percentage (GF%) 5 on 5 for this season for Kopitar with different teammates.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=24&withagainst=true&season=2013-14&sit=5v5

Justin Williams has a GF% of 70.6% with Kopitar and 38.5% without Kopitar. Drew Doughty, 66.7% with Kopitar, 47.1% without Kopitar. Go down the list and you'll see that EVERY SINGLE Kings player is better with Kopitar on the ice. He makes every player better defensively and offensively. It's incredible how good a player Kopitar is.

Now take a look at Jeff Carter. Much more of a mixed bag. Doughty actually has a higher GF% without Jeff Carter than with Carter on the ice. Same with Kopitar, Dwight King, Toffoli, Martinez, etc. Carter doesn't make his teammates that much better.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=327&withagainst=true&season=2013-14&sit=5v5

Kopitar doesn't have Carter's wrist shot and doesn't have the explosive acceleration and breakaway speed, but he is so much better at almost every other facet of the game. He makes everyone else on the ice much more productive by being an exceptional defensive forward and a puck possession hog. When you spend 60-70% of the time in the offensive zone with Kopitar, he effectively tilts the ice in your favor.

I like Carter and he's fun to watch, but I'll take Kopitar any day. There's not a more complete center in the game right now. Crosby included. You can compare Kopitar and Crosby's stats and see for yourself.

Last edited:

Albi

Nov 24, 2004
Claro - Switzerland

That's Crosby.

Malkin much more than Crosby IMO.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Most the great players makes their line mates better and Kopitar surely does. And if your looking at the kids you would have to say Carter has as well. To think there is only one player in the league that makes his line mates better is purely insane.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I think the best GM's in the league know which players are difference makers. They must keep these guys on the team above all else. Supporting players are much more dependent on these guys...but that can also work on a team's favor as you can trade someone at their peak and get good prospects in return. Those guys will end up being great support pieces.

I actually like the salary cap system. All the teams are on even ground and it is up to the GM to create the best drafting and system that trickles down all the way to the minors. The Kings franchise is really in the best shape it has ever been in. I hope that the current ownership group can stay together - it is a great time to be a fan.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
I think the best GM's in the league know which players are difference makers. They must keep these guys on the team above all else. Supporting players are much more dependent on these guys...

true, but everything here is mutual, with a predefined hierarchy: 1. team, 2. coach, 3. lines, 4. players 5. everything else. and usually it's best to stick to it.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
true, but everything here is mutual, with a predefined hierarchy: 1. team, 2. coach, 3. lines, 4. players 5. everything else. and usually it's best to stick to it.

I think it's a testament to the culture Lombardi has brought here. Now we understand the method to his madness. He brought in guys who care about team and ultimately, winning.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

That's Crosby.

Normally wingers and centers should complement each other. Gabby and Kopi certainly do that. Or the winger may complement the other two guys as Brown does to KG. Thus the KGB line.

Pearson, Toffoli and Carter complement each other as they all skate hard when attacking and they all quick and hungry.

Crosby on the other hand makes his wingers better for sure. So does Malkin, turning the 2.5 mil Neal into the 5 mil Neal.

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
The turnover Kopitar created on Gaborik's goal the other night is a perfect example of a player creating an opportunity for a teammate. Gaborik doesn't score that goal if Kopitar doesn't do the heavy lifting.
Gaborik is a product of Kopitar. Throughout the playoffs.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
The turnover Kopitar created on Gaborik's goal the other night is a perfect example of a player creating an opportunity for a teammate.

Hahaha, that play was just filthy. He stole that puck like a bully stealing the shy kid's lunch money, then he spent it and ate it right in front of him. All the hapless Hawk could do was stand there and watch it happen.

Gaborik is a product of Kopitar. Throughout the playoffs.

They certainly benefit each other but I think Gaborik is benefiting more from playing with Kopitar than likewise.

I would love to see what kind of Kopitar could put up in a full season with Gaborik (healthy). That last part is probably a stretch but even a solid 50-60 games together, I bet Kopitar could maintain a PPG pace.

KingKopitar11*

Carter is benefitting from not playing with Richards and Pearson and toffoli benefit from playing with fast Carter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad