OT: WHO MADE THIS CITY!!!! Montreal Traffic Rant

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
That's a good question who built this city. Could be one of the only cities in the world where we have signage for exits and directions that appear slightly after where they should be. Like sometimes when you hit a fork you will notice the sign for what is on the right or left appear deep into the fork instead of maybe 10 feet before.

How about driving around the l'acadie circle that is a complete mess that they rebuilt. Check out decarie north, heading back to the 40 in and around st-laurent. Good luck not getting lost, I swear, that would not be done in any other city. But it could be the worst design in the history of the world and it probably cost 20000 times more than in any other place. It's gotten to the point where everything with our infrastructure, roads, and corruption, it's all just comical, because that's what this province is!

Cogliano13Gagner89

Nov 3, 2007
Oilers Misery
That's a good question who built this city. Could be one of the only cities in the world where we have signage for exits and directions that appear slightly after where they should be. Like sometimes when you hit a fork you will notice the sign for what is on the right or left appear deep into the fork instead of maybe 10 feet before.

How about driving around the l'acadie circle that is a complete mess that they rebuilt. Check out decarie north, heading back to the 40 in and around st-laurent. Good luck not getting lost, I swear, that would not be done in any other city. But it could be the worst design in the history of the world and it probably cost 20000 times more than in any other place. It's gotten to the point where everything with our infrastructure, roads, and corruption, it's all just comical, because that's what this province is!

Couldn't have said it better myself :handclap:

I left for a job interview today at 11:30 this morning in Kirkland (I live in RDP). I got there at 12:45 and oh yeah....the street I needed to take when I exited the 40 was closed for construction so I had to take another 15 minute detour. :rant:

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal
This is the result of incompetence, corruption and certain other issues which have distracted the public for decades. We're all paying for those years of neglect. It sucks but it has to be done, lest we want another overpass collapse or charbonneau commission.

We haven't actually moved in to a new era... yet, but at least it feels as though the construction being done is being done properly.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc

Sorry, but that is specific to MTL, not the whole province. And people in TO or Vancouver are complaining about the same things. Typical case of free Québec bashing.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
2565863-3853767-4957010%2B_3d402eb6c781d9c88cd3419c33f6e390.png

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sorry, but that is specific to MTL, not the whole province. And people in TO or Vancouver are complaining about the same things. Typical case of free Québec bashing.

My guess is you've never driven in Toronto ? They have the prettiest roads I've seen...

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
My guess is you've never driven in Toronto ? They have the prettiest roads I've seen...

True. With the exception of The Gardiner Expressway, traffic is bearable here in Toronto and the surrounding area, even during rush hour.

I grew up in Montreal and I visited last week for the first time in a few years. I don't remember it ever being as bad as it currently is in Montreal. There is construction everywhere I went. I tried to get from downtown to the West Island one night at about 11pm and both the 20 and 40 were closed. I tried to go up north and there were lane closures from the 13 through the 15. It was a mess.

One thing that hasn't changed is the quality of the roads. As soon as you cross the border from Ontario to Quebec you start to hit the bumps and potholes. Hopefully all this construction is a sign that this problem is finally being addressed. But it sure feels like it could have been planned better.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

I often complained about Vancouver traffic, but I just don't feel as strongly about it since my last visit in Montreal. It really is an issue.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The problem with Montreal is, IMO, poor indications. How many times did I come across a "détour" sign which was not indicating me when and if and where I should go? It's just like, to your right, we have a "détour"... enjoy!

Extremely confusing.

Also, just think about it. You know Montreal, but the tourists don't. So, you go from downtown Montreal towards the airport. On the 720, you will first come across indications to go to Mirabel airport. Not only this is completely useless (airport is closed), but it's also problematic because some tourists might get confused.

But wherever you are within a 50km radius from Montreal, you have clear indications on how to get to Sorel.... Like... thanks buddy, I really needed that!

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think they should add roads and make them tolls. Not saying tolls should replace current roads but A25 is an option and seems successful.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You want to see needlessly confusing and complicated?

Drive to Winooski (of all places, lol) and use a GPS.

Ottawa is surprisingly traffic heavy as well. Not as bad as Montreal, but the Metropolitan Area has, like, 5 times less people.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Aside from everything else, we also have exits in the left high speed lanes that helps slow traffic and the expressways are either built into a pit (e.g. Decarie), or are on leveled ramps (e.g. Metropolitan) which means there is no expansion available. Great forethought there.

Then lets look at the Jacques Cartier (built in 1926) and Victoria (built in 1859) bridges construction and compare them to the Champlain cement nightmare (built in 1967) ... and wonder why some bridges last a long time while some have to be replaced.

Then there is the Olympic stadium ...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It sucks but it has to be done, lest we want another overpass collapse or charbonneau commission.

You act like we're safe now... There WILL be another overpass collapse, or worse, a bridge collapse. It's a matter of time. There's only so much that patchwork can fix.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
They should add one lane to every highway here and everything would be fine. Like the exit on the Decarie north to take the 40 west is the reason why the whole 15N is always bumper to bumper... They just remade that exit too! Just make it a two lane exit instead of a one laner... It's just stupid..

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
They should add one lane to every highway here and everything would be fine. Like the exit on the Decarie north to take the 40 west is the reason why the whole 15N is always bumper to bumper... They just remade that exit too! Just make it a two lane exit instead of a one laner... It's just stupid..

I live downtown and for years I worked in Ville St Laurent... I had to do that commute every day. I watched that trainwreck of a construction job for so many years and THIS is what they come up with?? It is 100x worse than before!!!!

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
I live in Brisbane and this it's urban planning is easily 100x worse than Montreal's. However, construction is much more bearable given that they can spread it over the entire year.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I've lived in Ontario and Quebec and part of the problem here is the way people drive in Montreal. Like impatient children.

When a lane is closed, if people lined up behind everyone instead of desperately trying to pass everyone who waited the whole thing would move a lot quicker. It's simple physics.

People don't jump in line at the coffee shop or restaurant, but put them in a car and they are suddenly more important than everyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad