Who Loves Justin Abdelkader?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Good stuff, Bench - I didn't know that. And unfortunately, in the cap era, that kind of approach simply can't work because of the general size of these deals. And it really doesn't work when those players aren't actually playing like a good team.

Here's the list of guys who were on the team 8 seasons ago, in 2009-2010, and remained this season.

Zetterberg (signed to 2021)
Helm (2021)
Kronwall (2019)
Ericsson (2020)
Abdelkader (2023)
Howard (2019)
Miller

Also consider Datsyuk and Franzen were still under contract for this year. The list could have potentially been 9 players. Of the group above, only Miller won't be on contract next year. Tatar was activated (briefly) in 2010-2011, so it will be his 7th season next year, if you want to get technical.

San Jose has had lots of retention of core players since 2009-2010, and taken a similar approach to the Wings in re-tooling than rebuilding, but look at the difference in these names retained during that time.

Thornton
Marleau
Pavelski (2019)
Vlasic (2020)
Couture (2019)

Thornton and Marleau are due for new deals this season.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
Some bottom six players play in the top six if there's a fit. I think Abdelkader is that at times. His play with Zetterberg and Larkin/Nyquist during long stretches was really quite good. He's tough along the boards, is a good defensive guy and when he retrieves the puck he gets it back to the skill. Almost like Sheahan's rookie season with Tatar but better.

Thing is, Zetterberg seems to make everyone look better than they really are. Look back previous years and major outputs have come with guys playing with Z. Gustav Nyquist plays better with him, started his outbreak with him (was playing high level hockey with everyone, Gus that is), Tatar's hot streak came with Z, Larkin's best hockey has come with Z, Mantha's best hockey has come with Z, Val had a breakout season with Z, Huds' last year he thrived with Z, etc.

Justin Abdelkader is a player you love to cheer for, but he won't be that guy now or in the future because everyone will solely look at the 7 year 4M+ AAV. I think Abdelkader can be a fit in the top six. He's serviceable in that aspect. I get him for stretches on the fourth line but yeah, it does make me question everything. Going into free agency Detroit definitely didn't need to re-sign BOTH Helm and Abdelkader.

I still like Abby. He's not the only one pushed as the face of the franchise. When they show players going to events on snapchat/Youtube it does however seem to be the same guys based on living in the area. Those are Justin Abdelkader, Riley Sheahan, Danny DeKeyser, Luke Glendening and Dylan Larkin.

That was my point. Everyone looks better playing with superstars. That's one of Holland's biggest failings, of which there are many. He sees guys like Abby playing with Datsyuk or Zetterberg and thinks THEY are the ones with the talent and then inks the big long term deal. I've never been ticked off at Abdelkader for the money he makes or the length of his contract. Who besides Al Kaline would turn down money that was offered to them?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Here's the list of guys who were on the team 8 seasons ago, in 2009-2010, and remained this season.

Helm (2021)
Kronwall (2019)
Ericsson (2020)
Abdelkader (2023)
Howard (2019)
Miller

Also consider Datsyuk and Franzen were still under contract for this year. The list could have potentially been 9 players. Of the group above, only Miller won't be on contract next year. Tatar was activated (briefly) in 2010-2011, so it will be his 7th season next year, if you want to get technical.

San Jose has had lots of retention of core players since 2009-2010, and taken a similar approach to the Wings in re-tooling than rebuilding, but look at the difference in these names retained during that time.

Thornton
Marleau
Pavelski (2019)
Vlasic (2020)
Couture (2019)

SShhhh! Don't let Holland hear you!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Helm (2021)
Kronwall (2019)
Ericsson (2020)
Abdelkader (2023)
Howard (2019)
Miller

Thornton
Marleau
Pavelski (2019)
Vlasic (2020)
Couture (2019)

No they didn't. They actually made some pretty huge trades of roster players to address holes in their line up.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
SShhhh! Don't let Holland hear you!

I mean, hell, if he's going to sign an old dude, I hope it's Joe Thornton!

It's actually going to be interesting to see what happens. Does San Jose take them back and go for another swing? Probably?

No they didn't. They actually made some pretty huge trades of roster players to address holes in their line up.

Well, yeah. But the comparison was akin to San Jose trying to contend for the last 8 seasons, like the Wings and the retention of core players. I think by that metric the similarities emerge with the primary difference being the caliber of player the Sharks have maintained over such a long period of time. There's no Millers or Helms on the list, is my point. It gets particularly suspect when you consider Helm, Abby, and Ericsson still have ages to go on their deals.

San Jose, rather than commit to an Abby level guy forever, brought a variety of vets throughout the years to fill out the lineup. The latest being Joel Ward, a guy I'd easily flip for Abby given their roles and contracts.

The Sharks aren't a perfect franchise, but this is a good compare and contrast regarding loyalty to the same band of players over and over hoping they do better next year. Abby is the exemplar of that discussion around here.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Perspective is helpful.
You seem like a person who has relatively sharp mental faculties, and enjoys engaging in discussion.

However, when somebody contradicts you, and you reply with only a vague phrase that doesn't really clarify your stance or offer any concrete support to your argument(s), it's like throwing an anchor overboard on the voyage of discussion. It can sometimes be a bit jarring.

So if you feel that Abdelkader is in fact comparable, or even superior, when viewed against Lapointe, then perhaps some additional specifics would be in order, rather than a short (sometimes even dismissive, in how it can be received) generality.

Just my two cents; YMMV.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I mean, hell, if he's going to sign an old dude, I hope it's Joe Thornton!

It's actually going to be interesting to see what happens. Does San Jose take them back and go for another swing? Probably?

I mean, in a way yes Joe Thornton would finally be signing an old dude who has some gas left in the tank. Though on the Wings there's a good chance he'd become a very expensive 40 point player.

It would likely be a large contract and does nothing to address the long term needs of the team, though it would make life a little easier for Zetterberg in his final few seasons. Plus if Thornton wants to sign with the Wings it's pretty clear he's looking for a payday and not competing for the Cup.

It'll be really interesting to see what the Sharks do, especially given their first round exit.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Thornton's knee injury (he played the first round with a torn ACL and MCL) makes him a big question mark -- not that I'd want the Wings to sign him even if he were healthy.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Loves a pretty strong word, but just so Gator isn't underappreciated

This-Guy-Jim-Halpert-The-Office.gif

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Wait, you think Gator could have/should have been signed for 3 years @ $2 million? :laugh:

On the open market there's no doubt in my mind Abby would have gotten the same contract or better. Wings didn't get a home team discount. Boo-hoo!

There were no better options available to fill his role on the team and Wings should not/will not ice an AHL team and purposely tank when they had a 25 year playoff streak going. No chance Mike Ilich and family accept that. None what-so-ever.

I am not saying he would have signed at that, but for what he was signed for it would have been better for the organization to have let him walk, or better yet to have traded him when he had positive trade value like a well run organization would have done so he would have predictably become someone elses problem contract.

Loves a pretty strong word, but just so Gator isn't underappreciated

This-Guy-Jim-Halpert-The-Office.gif

Haha that actually kinda looks like gator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad