Who is your NYR season MVP?

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

McDonagh
MZA

MZA's getting a ton of votes because people didn't expect him to play the way he's played this season. He's been fast. He's been physical. He's been tremendous on the PP. He's been our best forward.

But he hasn't been more valuable than McDonagh.

Points will always get more recognition than Defense. Even when that dmen has only 9 less points than that forward.

mti79

May 11, 2007
McDonagh has been a stud from game 1. His mere presence in our D has given us a chance. Plus he's starting to add offense? Yeah... MVP.

Would not be surprised if it's Hank by the end of the year though....

TheDave1022

Nov 4, 2008
Carmel, NY
Zucc with Talbot a close 2nd. If not for Talbot during that stretch where Lundqvist was terrible, the Rangers would be pretty low in the standings.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's also entirely possible that if Hank has an amazing last 20 games he could win it again, if he finishes with 30+ wins and .925_ sv%

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
How? How is a forward who is on pace for 58 points more valuable than our #1 two-way beast of a defenseman who plays 24 minutes a night?

I love Zuccarello, he has become one of my personal favorites, but to claim he's more valuable than McDonagh is simply baffling. And yet 49 people believe so. I just don't get it.

yeah, i don't get it.

Ryan McDonagh AINEC imho.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I am with Boyle.

Zuccarello has been good and looks to get better, but he has the same number of points as Richards who has no votes, I think there is a bit of favorite player bias going on here.

At the end of the season I think the contenders will be McDonagh, Lundqvist, Nash, and Zuccarello. But I do fully expect McDonagh to win as he has been dominant consistently this year. You ask fans of others teams what one player of ours could they have for this season, I think it'd be McDonagh in most cases.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
McDaddy is definitely a harder player to replace, but Zucc is the MVP of this season. He makes any line bettter and has chipped in with a lot of key and clutch plays.

Things started to turn around when he managed to elevate his play after being scratched.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Right now it's 1. McDonagh and 2. Zuccarello.

Henrik might be there by the end of the year if he keeps up his recent play.

Talbot and Kreider have been the two most pleasant surprises.

FWIW Kreider needs to start potting a few more.

1 goal in the last 9 games, 2 in the last 13.

That's like a pace of 10 goals a season.

Bardof425*

McD and its not even friggin close. He not only keeps the puck out of our net (shutting down the best players in the game night after night) he is a big part of our PP and offense in general. If we had better finishers or if he himself had some puck luck he would have 40 points by now. Not even close and I think Zucc is having a breakout year.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
McD and its not even friggin close. He not only keeps the puck out of our net (shutting down the best players in the game night after night) he is a big part of our PP and offense in general. If we had better finishers or if he himself had some puck luck he would have 40 points by now. Not even close and I think Zucc is having a breakout year.
I agree that McDonagh is the season MVP so far, but I think it's silly to say that he hasn't had any puck luck.

He has 8 goals. Two are empty-netters and one a PK goal from his own zone. He has 5 primary assists and 17 secondary assists. He's had a great season, but his point total is inflated.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
I agree that McDonagh is the season MVP so far, but I think it's silly to say that he hasn't had any puck luck.

He has 8 goals. Two are empty-netters and one a PK goal from his own zone. He has 5 primary assists and 17 secondary assists. He's had a great season, but his point total is inflated.

Besides those three goals, why do you feel his point totals are inflated? Isn't it common for defenseman to have a lot of secondary assists, especially if they're starting the break out with an outlet pass?

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
MZA is most improved and extremely worth of the extra effort award.

But for MVP it's McD by a long shot.

For me:
McD

MZA

Kreider/Nash
Lundqvist
Staal/Richards

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Besides those three goals, why do you feel his point totals are inflated? Isn't it common for defenseman to have a lot of secondary assists, especially if they're starting the break out with an outlet pass?
Yeah, defensemen get a higher percentage of secondary assists than forwards.

Still, among the top 30 defensemen in the league in terms of assists, McDonagh has the third lowest proportion primary assists per assist. More than half of the list has double the rate he does:

a1.png

Secondary assists have been shown to measure luck more than anything.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Yeah, defensemen get a higher percentage of secondary assists than forwards.

Still, among the top 30 defensemen in the league in terms of assists, McDonagh has the third lowest proportion primary assists per assist. More than half of the list has double the rate he does:

a1.png

Secondary assists have been shown to measure luck more than anything.

If you only count G and A1, Victor Hedman leads all defencemen in scoring. Didn't even make Team Sweden's reserve list... :facepalm:

Bardof425*

Did I say any puck luck? I meant more. He's had a few easy ones as you've pointed out. But, he's also set himself up for many prime scoring chances that have hit a dman or a post or the goalie's head and the more important issue is the lack of finish on the Rangers. If many of the plays he's set up were on the stick of a Kane, Toews or Sharp instead of the Rangers forwards he'd have 40 points. That is my main contention.

Anyway he's been great and IMO his offensive numbers do not fully reflect his efforts.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
I voted for Zucc. By far, McD is our best player, he ought to be talked about for the Norris. It ain't a coincidence players like Ovechkin are scoring 60 goals a season, and can hardly get a point against us. But we had absolutely ZERO offense, now we're (almost) dynamic, which is the reason we're a playoff team, and Zucc is the major reason for that.

MTrangers

Oct 26, 2012
Missoula, MT
Just now on NHL live they were talking about Zucc and Norway in regards to the Olympics. The co-host mentioned Zucc maybe being the MVP this year for the Rangers. He said it was close with Hank....

Didn't think it was possible the McD is still underrated.

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco
For me cap hit was the deciding factor. I love McD.. I love Zucc. They are far and away our most valuable players this year. But a 1.15 cap hit is just so important to this team this year.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
McD is the better player.

I voted for Zucc.

He's been the one to spark this team day in and day out. When a line needs going, Zucc gets put onto it. The line gets going.

Zucc's spark is what has kept this team relevant.

Vickers8

McD is the better player.

I voted for Zucc.

He's been the one to spark this team day in and day out. When a line needs going, Zucc gets put onto it. The line gets going.

Zucc's spark is what has kept this team relevant.

To think Matt they almost didn't resign him last year

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Like many of you I am stuck between Mac and Zuccarello but I have to go with Mac. Take Zucc out of the lineup and it is bad. Take Mac out and it would be horrific. Not only is he a top-tier dman, but he is the most important part of the power play.

Imagine the Rangers D without him. It is not pretty.

Moon Knight

Aug 15, 2012
I wish I could pick both but I pick Zucc for this.
I did not expect his type of play this season at all. I think he just became a core player for the Rangers after this season.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Although McD is the better player, narrowly chose Kreider over Zuc.

MVP not who is best player, IMO, though excellence comes into equation?
IMO, who is the difference maker.

So far that is Kreider and Zuc, and others rejuvenated to lesser degree.
McD and Hank remain excellent

But Kreider's whole overall game has changed this team.
Indirectly, it has helped Zuc.

co CK.
But it is subjective, not objective, without enough basis for consensus, IMO.
That is to clarify, all those nominated and receiving votes are worthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad