WJC: Who is your "All-Hype" Team

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So every year the WJHCs are broadcast world wide, and it's become a major must watch event

TSN has been at the forefront of this, which has been largely good, but has lead to some not so desirable things as well, Pierre Maguire's shtick for example.

Anyone is over blowing players at the WJHC who turn into nothing more then bit players.

My goal isn't to rip players, it's just to look at those players who were built up as WJ mythical players, who really aren't.

My All Hype team looks like this.

Brad Larson - Ryan O'Marra - Daniel Tkaczuk

Ryan Ellis - Shawn Belle

Justin Pogge

Yours?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
not sure I'd say Ellis qualifies as he's still pretty young at this point:

mine:

Milan Kraft - Maxim Balmochnykh - Daniel Tkaczuk
Igor Knyazev - Matthieu Biron
Al Montoya (HM to Ari Ahonen)

DG

Sep 19, 2006
Toronto
I'm not sure who would be on mine, but I know that Pierre McGuire is coaching these MONSTERS.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't speak ill of Shawn Belle. When he was called up with the Oilers this year he quickly became our 2nd best defenseman (behind Theo Peckham of course).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
not sure I'd say Ellis qualifies as he's still pretty young at this point:

mine:

Milan Kraft - Maxim Balmochnykh - Daniel Tkaczuk
Igor Knyazev - Matthieu Biron
Al Montoya (HM to Ari Ahonen)

An undersized, not physical strong defenseman who isn't a strong skater ending up a 1st round pick? He easily qualifies.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
An undersized, not physical strong defenseman who isn't a strong skater ending up a 1st round pick? He easily qualifies.

The kid is still in junior, clearly the results for Ellis are not in yet. Undersized, not physically strong, not a great skater - all secondary to what's between the ears. See no. 99. I'm not a particular fan of Ellis but you can't write him off before he's even played in the NHL!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The kid is still in junior, clearly the results for Ellis are not in yet. Undersized, not physically strong, not a great skater - all secondary to what's between the ears. See no. 99. I'm not a particular fan of Ellis but you can't write him off before he's even played in the NHL!

Yeah, that's not an argument, because Gretzky was better then everyone at hockey ever, where as Ryan Ellis is a decent puck mover in juniors.

Look, he gets physically dominated in his current league, and that's not going to get easier in the NHL, no point in glossing over the reality.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah, that's not an argument, because Gretzky was better then everyone at hockey ever, where as Ryan Ellis is a decent puck mover in juniors.

Look, he gets physically dominated in his current league, and that's not going to get easier in the NHL, no point in glossing over the reality.
Not sure you are watching the same Ryan Ellis I am. It seems pretty clear that this guy is going to be the next Mike Green. Likely not very good in his own end, I'll grant you that, but the guy can run a powerplay like nobody I've ever seen at his age. I don't think the NHL is going to do away the concept of powerplays any time soon. He'll be fine in the NHL which these days caters to the undersized defensemen, unless you haven't noticed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad