Who is you least favorite player for the franchise?

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
Who is the Hurricanes/Whalers player who is your least favorite?

Off the top of my head:

-Chris Pronger
-Keith Primeau

...both for disparaging things they said after they left.

-Zarley Zalapski

...he just epitomizes "the trade" and I hated him for it (not entirely fair I suppose). Plus, didn't he suck most of the time for us?

-Yvon Corriveau

...for missing that breakaway vs Roy in game 7. Damn you Corriveau!!!!

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
kaberle1.jpg

Glad he's playing in a city where people care about hockey now. Or whatever he said. Good ridance :P

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Enrico Ciccone - completely ****ing useless waste of a roster spot. As much as people bag on Westgarth and bagged on Brookbank, they're at least not completely incompetent of the hockey playing aspects of being a hockey player.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Primeaudonna quickly comes to mind.

I never really liked Iafrate, I've hated a lot of Caps players over the years, and wasn't excited to see the Canes give him a shot. But since he never made it out of training camp, I'm not sure this one counts.

Ciccone was one of several low rank goons the Canes tried out over the years. None amounted to more than a 2 minutes a night punching bag.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Let's face it, they're hockey players, and they're mostly a good group of guys. Even at the lowest barometer, as a group they don't approach the lowly status of many other sports. I won't consider anyone who played here for less than a year, and I didn't start paying daily attention to Hurricanes/hockey until Jan 2000. So, with those disclaimers...

It's probably a tie between Marek Malik and Chad LaRose, for different reasons. Malik because he was the worst player and aggravated me the most of any player, but LaRose due to the length of time that he has taken a roster spot. However, I've somewhat come to terms with LaRose, because his numbers are difficult to argue with and the fact that his coaches have trusted him cannot be ignored. But even with all of that rationality in place in my brain, it certainly didn't pain me to see him get scratched on Thursday.

Sean Hill in his final days was difficult to stomach. Those 225 PIMs in his last two years here came 2 minutes at a time, and they weren't for roughing.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
kaberle1.jpg

Glad he's playing in a city where people care about hockey now. Or whatever he said. Good ridance :P

Would have to agree. TKabs was a waste of a signing and if it wasn't for his brother convincing him to sign with us, it probably would never have happened.

The 09/10 version of Aaron Ward is up there. Another waste of a signing.

Also, I barely remember this guy but I can't recall anything positive that was said about Sandis Ozolinsh. From what I've heard, he was kind of a dick during his time here. Anyone concur with those thoughts?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Ozo was a weird flake, but I don't think he was necessarily a bad guy. He was very Corvo-like, but taken to ridiculous extremes.

Primeau is probably the guy that sticks out the most for me. Geoff Sanderson didn't exactly endear himself in the early days either, for the short span he was around.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ozo was a weird flake, but I don't think he was necessarily a bad guy. He was very Corvo-like, but taken to ridiculous extremes.

Primeau is probably the guy that sticks out the most for me. Geoff Sanderson didn't exactly endear himself in the early days either, for the short span he was around.

I can give Geoff a pass, as well as basically any player that was actually uprooted to play here. Sanderson, Cassels, Brown, all guys that aren't know for being issues that were traded fairly early on in that first season here. Burke's a bit of a different matter in his own right. But all these guys weren't all too happy about the move from Hartford. Can't say I blame them. If they had the support from the fans then that the players have now I'm not sure any of them feel anywhere close to as negatively about the team being here as they did at the time.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I can give Geoff a pass, as well as basically any player that was actually uprooted to play here. Sanderson, Cassels, Brown, all guys that aren't know for being issues that were traded fairly early on in that first season here. Burke's a bit of a different matter in his own right. But all these guys weren't all too happy about the move from Hartford. Can't say I blame them. If they had the support from the fans then that the players have now I'm not sure any of them feel anywhere close to as negatively about the team being here as they did at the time.

in some sense I can understand that, but at the same time, those guys were being paid to do a job and like it or not, part of that job as a public figure is to put your best foot forward, not complain and represent your organization as best as I can.

And it's a shame, because he was probably the one guy on that team who really had the ability to turn heads with his play. Other guys chose to take a positive attitude and were rewarded with being part of a big turnaround.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Gary Roberts

Oh come on.

I "hated" him for like 5 minutes and then we played that series against the Leafs and he played balls-out and it was like he would've given his life to win that series. You can't help but have respect for that.

Besides, kind of hard to get mad at him for having a chip on his shoulder. I really believe JR dropped the ball there. If he had made a decent offer Gary would have probably been on the Finals team the next year, and who knows? Might have made a difference.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I will say I do all I can to like players while they are here, but there are a few disappointing players either for their play or how they left. I agree with most of the ones so far. I would add Belanger, Grahame, and Storr for me. I thought Belanger mailed it in while here. I just didn't care for Grahame and Storr as goalies. There were other goalies as bad or worse, but they stuck in my craw most.

karparules

Sep 4, 2007
Ryan Carter, Tom Kostopoulos, and Ian White. All three of these guys hated playing here and seemed to be pouting that they were banished to the Southeast Division. No pride in being NHLers at all. I'm glad they've all moved on.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ryan Carter, Tom Kostopoulos, and Ian White. All three of these guys hated playing here and seemed to be pouting that they were banished to the Southeast Division. No pride in being NHLers at all. I'm glad they've all moved on.

White certainly seemed that way, but Kostopoulos? Not sure how he was off the ice but on it he certainly at least seemed to be giving it his all, and I know he was shaken up about the trade to Calgary. Not Sutter or Jeff Carter shaken, but not many players are.

Now Belanger, there's a guy who disappeared from the "give a ****" meter about November of his only season here. What kind of ice time did he seriously expect being behind Brind'Amour and Staal?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Yeah I seem to remember K-Stop was upset about being traded.

Regarding Belanger, this was his highlight playing for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad