Who is / was the best manager in Euro 2016

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Who is (or was) the best manager in the Euro 2016?

Some candidates:

-Chris Coleman (Wales): both great tactics and execution suitable for the players at his disposal+ team spirit. Does Coleman continue with Wales or is he ready for the big payday in the club management (i.g. as Wenger's successor at Arsenal)

-Antonio Conte (Italy), has progressed all the time, starting with lower Italian clubs, then success with Juventus, and now doing well Italy and then heading to Chelsea. On his way to to be maybe one of the very top managers?

-Joachim Löw (Germany), not really highly rated, but has delivered the results.

-Vicente del Bosque (Spain), for years won everything, but the wheels came off during the past few years

-Didier Deschamps (France), has had some success at club level, but the jury is still out.

-Fernando Santos (Portugal), ultra pragmatist, but his career is more of nearly man than a great winner

-Lars Lagerbäck (Iceland), almost totally managed only national teams, and done quite well considering their the countries (Sweden and Iceland). Could he at some point gotten a better job in club management to follow on the footsteps of say Svennis Eriksson?

-Michael O'Neill (N.Ireland): still young enough to carve himself a good career after unexpected success with N.Ireland.

I left out likes of Terim and Hodgson who most likely won't get much support despite having some success in the past.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Are we talking about best on a career level? Or who has specifically been the best at this tournament. On a career level, it has to be either VdB or Conte. At this tournament, I'd opt for Conte. My views on Conte are of course very biased.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Voted Conte but special shout out to O'Neill of Northetn Ireland, not only for his success at national team level with a very limited squad but didn't he guide Shamrock Rovers to the Europa League group stage as well? The first Irish side to make that competition and I believe the league is semi-professional

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Based mostly on this tournament, not on managerial career.

But you can take into consideration e.g. the qualification stages / the last year or so.

Or let's say someone would think that del Bosque as a manager did as well in this tournament than he did when Spain was winning, and it was other factors which led him down. And that someone could therefore think that Del Bosque is still the best despite what happened in this tournament.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
instantly thought of Conte, but voted for Lagerback because for Iceland not even have lost a game yet in this tournmaneny is just downright impressive. He has also managed go get those players to play like a Spartan army or something. Good stuff.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Who coached Hungary? Heck of an accomplishment to reach the KOS with that team and actually looking decent there.

Voted Conte.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
What Conté has achieved with that team. I wish Belgium had a coach with at least half his tactical prowess.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Probably Conte.

Who coached Hungary? Heck of an accomplishment to reach the KOS with that team and actually looking decent there.

A German, Bernd Storck, who from what the commentators were saying the other day has not only paid his dues during his career but he's also apparently got Hungary well ahead of what he promised.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Lagerback & Coleman.

I think Deschamps subs have been good.

France would have lost to Ireland if he didn't bring on Coman at half time. Totally changed the game.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lucky DD indeed didn't start lucky. He couldn't select his first choice striker. Then he lost Varane, Zouma and Laporte through injury.
But he's fully responsible for selecting and starting Evra, who's desastrous.

And then lucky DD was back. He didn't have a single top nation to face until the semis (if we get there).
And the team has won without ever being convincing. Despite his starting lineups. Despite having Rami starting (and playing awfully).
His luck has pushed even further with Rami being suspended. Now Umtiti is starting and if everything goes to plan, he'll be impressive and start in the semis.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I think a lot of things have gone wrong for Deschamps but if he gets to the Semi's you can't say he was a failure.

Semis should have been the most basic expectation for the players at his disposal. It's a huge success for Wales, but it's not enough for France.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Don't know how you could argue against Coleman at this point. Not only has he taken a very small nation very far in the Euro already (and I'd put my money on them besting Portugal) but they've actually played some really nice football at times as well.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I picked Lagerback for a few reasons.

1. Talent pool much smaller to choose from than anyone else.

2. Played England, Portugal, Austria, and Hungary without losing!

3. They've shown extremely regimented tactics and rehearsed routines, all things that are directly impacted by the coaching.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I picked Lagerback for a few reasons.

1. Talent pool much smaller to choose from than anyone else.

2. Played England, Portugal, Austria, and Hungary without losing!

3. They've shown extremely regimented tactics and rehearsed routines, all things that are directly impacted by the coaching.

I understand that line of thought, but Wales have been clearly more impressive tactically to me. Better players, yes, but more well-rounded tactics too. Iceland have their throw-in gimmicks and defend well, but Wales have done that as well.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I understand that line of thought, but Wales have been clearly more impressive tactically to me. Better players, yes, but more well-rounded tactics too. Iceland have their throw-in gimmicks and defend well, but Wales have done that as well.
Iceland's players pretty much dictate the tactics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad