Who is the worst backup the leafs have had in recent years?

Worst Backup Goalie since 2010

• Total voters

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Since Hutch has been waived and We currently don’t have one, I’ll say that guy.
But it’s close.

Reactions: Buds17

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Toskala is not even close to the worst. He was also a starter.

Sparks is the worst and it’s not close.
The worst, but it's not recent is Rick St.Crroix or affectionately known as Rick St. Sieve because everything went through him. Toskola's save %age was around .900 or slightly under, St.Sieve's was around .850

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Most of the Leafs starters over the past decade were backups on other teams before coming to Toronto. Then went right back to being backups as soon as they left.

Reactions: Beaumaris and qqaz

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Just because he started a lot of games, it doesn't mean he was starting quality. He was the worst goaltender I've seen from the Leafs in that time period and ended up being the backup by the end of his tenure.

At least Sparks was able to put up a .902% save percentage, something Hutchinson and Enroth failed to do by a long long long long mile.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Chose Enroth. Fewest appearances out of the options, and shaky numbers to boot. Considered Bibeau due to even fewer GP, but he had good numbers outside of that.

Not sure if a higher or lower GP in general is the better way to approach answering this!

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

He was a backup the year Gustavsson played 42 games, he played 26 and they both sucked enough they traded for JS Giguere.

The worst backup I can remember from parts of two seasons: Don Beaupre

Acquired for Damien Rhodes he went 0-5-0 down the stretch in 1995-96 4.64 GAA and a .847 sv%

The next season he lasted all of three games going 0-3-0 with a 5.50 GAA and a .833 sv%. A nice round 0-8-0 Leafs career.

He was so bad that a 4-10-2 Glenn Healy was a marked improvement the following year.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Just because he started a lot of games, it doesn't mean he was starting quality. He was the worst goaltender I've seen from the Leafs in that time period and ended up being the backup by the end of his tenure.

At least Sparks was able to put up a .902% save percentage, something Hutchinson and Enroth failed to do by a long long long long mile.

Sparks was also able to do something Enroth couldn't do and Hutch also couldn't this year. Win a hockey game.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Sparks was also able to do something Enroth couldn't do and Hutch also couldn't this year. Win a hockey game.

I think he also just set the record for longest shutout streak for the Chicago Wolves? I may be mistaken.

Not that it really has anything to do with his time with TML.

To me though, Sparks isn't the worst we've seen. Enroth was horrible. Hutch, too. Sparks? Slightly less horrible.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
This is a crutch. The team has stunk for a long time. The back up goalie didn't matter. He's the first one thrown under the bus.

Reactions: nsleaf

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Enroth/Hutch were the worst, quite easily.

Sparks was the least likable because it was over a full season instead of under 10 games.

Reactions: GermanLeaf

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Sparks was so much more effective than Hutchinson is/was.
You guys might not like him, and no one was ever in love with him, but he's hands down a better goalie than Hutchinson.

Just by the shear numbers, Sparks allowed a goal and a half less per game.

That just puts in perspective how bad hutch is.

For me this is a toss up between Enroth and Hutchinson. I'm pretty sure Enroth is literally scared of the puck.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I picked Enroth. He was on my wish list that offseason (and Matt Martin). He had had some great numbers on much worse teams leading up to the signing, but boy oh boy did he poop the proverbial bed in Toronto.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Sparks was so much more effective than Hutchinson is/was.
You guys might not like him, and no one was ever in love with him, but he's hands down a better goalie than Hutchinson.

Just by the shear numbers, Sparks allowed a goal and a half less per game.

That just puts in perspective how bad hutch is.

For me this is a toss up between Enroth and Hutchinson. I'm pretty sure Enroth is literally scared of the puck.
Try and tell any scout or goalie coach Sparks is better than Hutchinson. When they stop laughing, hopefully you’ve got more than a single stat that’s influenced by team play to support this.

Sparks has never been an NHL goalie and anyone who knows about this thing was saying it before, during, and after they waived Curtis McElhinney.

Sparks, by a landslide.

Reactions: TML1990

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
At least we’re talking about how poor our backup has been when for about a decade the starters position was a similar glaring issue :laugh:

Reactions: ACC1224

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Funny, 2 of the guys I considered, Sparks and Hutch, are almost the polar opposite of each other.

Hutch had such bad numbers. He was statistically terrible, and he was rightly waived. But he never looked too bad in-game, and most of his losses were because the team gave up on him.

Sparks had almost ok numbers. Especially earlier last season, he got a few wins and everything. But watching him play was laughable. He was clearly out of his league, and the team just carried him to a few W's.

Both are/were bad. I went with Sparks. Could have picked Enroth, also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad