Prospect Info: Who is the Sens #8 Prospect at the moment?

Who is the Sens #8 Prospect at the moment?

• Mads Søgaard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Filip Chlapik

• Filip Gustavsson

• Angus Crookshank

• Jonathan Gruden

• Mark Kastelic

• Parker Kelly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020

1- Drake Batherson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #1)
2- Josh Norris (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #2)
3- Erik Brannstrom (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #3)
4- Logan Brown (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #4)
5- Jacob Bernard-Docker (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #5)
6- Alex Formenton (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #6)
7- Shane Pinto (Prospect Info: - Who is the Sens #7 Prospect at the moment?)

Tell me who I should add to the poll options

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

Players still in the organization who graduated since last year :

Christian Wolanin turned 25 y/o
Marcus Högberg turned 25 y/o
Nick Paul turned 25 y/o
Christian Jaros has 76 NHL games
Jayce Hawryluk has 68 NHL games

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA in priority among these players?

Prospects to be added :

Jonathan Davidsson
Jonny Tychonick
Olle Alsing
Max Lajoie
Maxence Guénette
Jakov Novak
Jonathan Aspirot
Jean-Christophe Beaudin
Andreas Englund

And the longshots that won't probably get ranked (as usual we won't get many votes at that stage)

Christopher Wilkie
Michael Carcone
Viktor Lodin
Luke Loheit

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Give me Balcers here.

He’s our most underrated forward prospect imo. Had 23 goals in 67 games as a rookie in the AHL, went PPG+ last season in the AHL and put up a ~0.5 GPG pace (16 goals in 33 games).

2 seasons ago, he had 14 points in 36 games in his first NHL stint, which is nothing to scoff at, and showed multiple flashes of high end skill and IQ. He’s a good skater, he has great hands, a good shot and a good motor. I see certain posters questioning his size and grittiness but from everything I’ve seen he’s very willing to go to the dirty areas.

I think he has MacArthur potential if he pans out. They are pretty similar. It’s too bad he got injured in training camp because he would have had a good chance to spend the year in the NHL last season and really cement a spot in the top 9. He was a lock to make the team out of training camp.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Thomson easily for me: he’ll log the lost minutes in the most important moments out of anyone left on the board. Sogard is still a mystery to me, could be #1 or could be #20.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Just my opinion, but I don't see Logan Brown being an NHLer. The motor isn't there, but he should find a home in Europe.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Thomson will win this due to where he was drafted, but he's nowhere near our 8th best prospect.

Kid has zero hockey IQ. I'd be surprised if ever turned out to be a decent NHLer.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Thomson will win this due to where he was drafted, but he's nowhere near our 8th best prospect.

Kid has zero hockey IQ. I'd be surprised if ever turned out to be a decent NHLer.

Why do you say that? That shot/skating looks NHL calibre to me. WOW

Edit: I just read two scouting reports on this lack of defensive awareness. Here is the more detailed scouting report "Thomson is still a work in progress, and he needs to work on a few details of his game, the first being defensive awareness. Like many young defensemen, Thomson could stand to work on his defensive game. He has good instincts, but he can be a tad risky at times. His aggressiveness can sometimes lead to turnovers or leaving opponents open in prime scoring areas."

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Just my opinion, but I don't see Logan Brown being an NHLer. The motor isn't there, but he should find a home in Europe.

Jeff Brown disapproves of this tweet. Brown could be like Hoffman, impressive stats line but not impressive play

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yeah, this should be Rudy. His AHL numbers are very similar to Norris, Brown or Formenton. Good skill and the rest of his game is good too. Rudy I see an NHL player. Thomson is going to be Chris Wideman. A guy whose above average offensive ability just narrowly misses being good enough to make up for an otherwise pretty average player.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, this should be Rudy. His AHL numbers are very similar to Norris, Brown or Formenton. Good skill and the rest of his game is good too. Rudy I see an NHL player. Thomson is going to be Chris Wideman. A guy whose offensive ability just narrowly misses being good enough to make up for an otherwise pretty average player.

If Thomson goes into a corner once and comes away with a puck he’ll have done more defensively then Wideman had ever done

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, this should be Rudy. His AHL numbers are very similar to Norris, Brown or Formenton. Good skill and the rest of his game is good too. Rudy I see an NHL player. Thomson is going to be Chris Wideman. A guy whose above average offensive ability just narrowly misses being good enough to make up for an otherwise pretty average player.
Chris Wideman...not even close. Their sizes and games are completely different. Thomson was just the captain of his world junior team too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Thomson is bigger and a much better skater. He's also far more advanced defensively at the same age.

If his offense doesn't translate his two way game is enough for a long career in a bottom 4 role imo but i think he could give us good middle pair guy with a well rounded game

Reactions: Tuna99

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Thomson here and Balcers next. I’m not convinced any of the other skaters will ever have a meaningful role in the league.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Chris Wideman...not even close. Their sizes and games are completely different. Thomson was just the captain of his world junior team too.
Captaincy aside, I thought he had a weak showing at the WJC.

You're right though that their games are a bit different. I was mostly trying to make the comparison of a guy who was good but not good enough on the offensive side and just so-so everywhere else, which is where I think Lassi's career is going to go.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Wideman is an odd comparison

Lassi has size and skating over Wideman, as well as pedigree, hence why he was drafted in the 1st round and then playing in a pro league at 19 y/o. Wideman came a long way to be able to play these 181 NHL games, drafted in the 4th round as an undersized D-man without plus skating, spent 4 years in college, 3 more in the AHL then was finally be able to play in the NHL.

Wideman was 5'10 and 183 lbs in his adult body, Thomson is 6'0, 190 lbs as a teenager and already a much better skater than Wideman ever was.

There's no guarantee that Thomson figures the NHL game well enough to have a long career but still, chances are on his side at the moment. Like pretty much all young D-men, he'll have to work on his defensive game, something that can be improved with time and experience. Without above average hockey sense, he might never be able to be a 1st pairing D-man, but he can certainly be 2nd pairing if he learns the right away and optimize his NHL qualities. I see him starting on the 3rd pair eventually then work his way up. He's not even 20 y/o so time is on his side. As of now, he's still a pretty good prospect.

Thomson here and Balcers next. I’m not convinced any of the other skaters will ever have a meaningful role in the league.

It's true and such is the nature of being a prospect. After a very stong top-10 (Abramov will probably close out the top-10), the overall skaters talent goes down a notch but there's also 5 goalies left to vote.

The rest are maybes but still early in their development. I wouldn't sleep on Crookshank and Gruden to end up in players. Chlapik can play in the NHL but it's hard to see where his career is heading for now, might be traded in the near future for a better opportunity. For Davidsson, it depends how he rebounds after concussion problems. Also, I really like Maxence Guenette development's curve.

Also, Artyom Zub looks like a good bet to do well in the NHL. He's very well regarded in the KHL and already has a lot of pro experience for his age. Seems to have the qualities of today's NHL D-men

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not d'accord with Thomson. But I do hope Thomson is a top 4 RD along with JBD
Chabot JBD
Wolanin Thomson Looks good to me.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad