Who is the second best player in Bolts history?

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Obviously MSL is number 1 but who is second? Lecavalier? Stamkos? A player from longer ago?

And do guys like Kucherov or Hedman have shots at making it there?

That goes to our first ever 50 goal scorer.

As far as Stamkos and Kucherov.....Stamkos....I doubt it. His injury history....hes has flashes where he could of easily been the best ever, but to do it long enough? I don't think he can stay healthy long enough to be fair. Though I'd love it if he made me eat crow on that.

Kucherov....yes, hes a Franchise winger. He won't be as a dynamic goal scorer as Stamkos or Vinny, but as a guy that produces he can top the both of them, and when its said and done be our best player up until that point.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Vinny Lecavalier until Stamkos does something in the playoffs.

Kucherov and Hedman still have plenty of time to build a resume.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Right now I say lecavalier! But down the years hedman, stamkos or kucherov can over take him vinny at number two maybe even Marty one day.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Given the length of their newest contract extensions, I expect Hedman and Stamkos to finish their careers as the best and second best players in franchise history respectively. Throw in a Cup (or more) and it's all but guaranteed.

Hedman is already sixth in assists and points for all Lightning skaters ever. Next year he should surpass Kubina for most goals by a Lightning defenseman. He's already the best defenseman in team history. Under contract for eight more years and will still only be 34 when the deal is up. Already a top defenseman in the league, he's on a path toward all-time greatness. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Hedman (and Karlsson) to be challenging Lidstrom for best Swedish defenseman ever. He's big, he's fast, and he's a pretty lovable viking warlord! If he ends up retiring a Bolt he'll end up retiring as the best Bolt ever.

Stamkos will overtake Vinny and Marty for most goals in the next two years. He'll top both in points within the next four. If he just plays out his contract reasonably healthy, he should finish 1st statistically in all relevant offensive categories with a sizable enough lead for anybody else to sniff for a long while. Like Hedman, he'll only be 34 when his deal expires. He'll have a decade as the team's Captain under his belt. If he 'leads' the team to a Cup he'll be canonized in Lightning lore. If he is able to maintain his levels of productivity, or (gasp) even better them, he too will go down as an All Time great. I know many question his health and longevity, but, it is still within reach for Stamkos to end up a top 10 goal scorer of all time. If he reaches those levels of career production it would be impossible not to consider him better than any Lightning player previously.

If any of Kucherov, Drouin, Johnson, or Palat stick around long enough at similar, or better, levels of productivity they could compelling challenge St. Louis and Lecavalier statistically. Whether they can measure up beyond numerically remains to be seen.

Winning the Stanley Cup would certainly put a brighter sheen on ANY of the current guys. Managing to stay consistently productive over 15ish year careers with this franchise will certainly put any of the aforementioned guys in the discussion. Stamkos and Hedman's long term contracts inherently give them the best chance of doing that.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
While Hedman and Karlsson are so damn good, I think it's ridiculous to think that either of them would be as good as Lidström. He's among the best defensemen of all time.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Obviously MSL is number 1 but who is second? Lecavalier? Stamkos? A player from longer ago?

And do guys like Kucherov or Hedman have shots at making it there?

disagree on the obvious

i view the playoffs as the important factor not just cups

msl 68 points
hedman 37 points he will pass msl
stamkos will pass marty in points in both playoffs and in reg imho so will be best ever
vinny 52 points
kucherov already 42 points hes gonna crush msl's totals in playoffs in long run
not sure he passes stamkos in regular season points though

my money would be stamkos kucherov hedman msl vinny

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How can St. Louis be #1 when Lecavalier clearly is? Just because St. Louis has more points doesn't make him the best player.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Right now it's Vinny, but I expect Stamkos and Hedman to pass him at some point. Hopefully Kucherov as well.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How can St. Louis be #1 when Lecavalier clearly is? Just because St. Louis has more points doesn't make him the best player.

You're right, being better at hockey and actually staying healthy is what makes made him better. Not just points.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
disagree on the obvious

i view the playoffs as the important factor not just cups

msl 68 points
hedman 37 points he will pass msl
stamkos will pass marty in points in both playoffs and in reg imho so will be best ever
vinny 52 points
kucherov already 42 points hes gonna crush msl's totals in playoffs in long run
not sure he passes stamkos in regular season points though

my money would be stamkos kucherov hedman msl vinny

This has everything to do with the teams they played on.....if you're going to count playoffs then Cups > No Cups.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

SilverwareTrophyWinner.jsp

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
This has everything to do with the teams they played on.....if you're going to count playoffs then Cups > No Cups.

absolutely agreed but i expect CUPS not a cup\\

dont agree fully with teams they played on either seeing as how well kucherov has done stamkos missing one year tyjo broken hand another palat injury etc..

those were devastating losses to core group

does anyone think if marty vinny or brad missed the playoffs they win that year? i don't

you got to look at everything and evaluate it accordingly

right now kucherov has been our best playoff performer so he needs to keep that up stamkos needs to step up have a 15 goal 30 point run sometime lol make up some ground:) etc.. and we need to win plain and simple we have to win cup and/or more

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Given the length of their newest contract extensions, I expect Hedman and Stamkos to finish their careers as the best and second best players in franchise history respectively. Throw in a Cup (or more) and it's all but guaranteed.

Hedman is already sixth in assists and points for all Lightning skaters ever. Next year he should surpass Kubina for most goals by a Lightning defenseman. He's already the best defenseman in team history. Under contract for eight more years and will still only be 34 when the deal is up. Already a top defenseman in the league, he's on a path toward all-time greatness. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Hedman (and Karlsson) to be challenging Lidstrom for best Swedish defenseman ever. He's big, he's fast, and he's a pretty lovable viking warlord! If he ends up retiring a Bolt he'll end up retiring as the best Bolt ever.

Stamkos will overtake Vinny and Marty for most goals in the next two years. He'll top both in points within the next four. If he just plays out his contract reasonably healthy, he should finish 1st statistically in all relevant offensive categories with a sizable enough lead for anybody else to sniff for a long while. Like Hedman, he'll only be 34 when his deal expires. He'll have a decade as the team's Captain under his belt. If he 'leads' the team to a Cup he'll be canonized in Lightning lore. If he is able to maintain his levels of productivity, or (gasp) even better them, he too will go down as an All Time great. I know many question his health and longevity, but, it is still within reach for Stamkos to end up a top 10 goal scorer of all time. If he reaches those levels of career production it would be impossible not to consider him better than any Lightning player previously.

If any of Kucherov, Drouin, Johnson, or Palat stick around long enough at similar, or better, levels of productivity they could compelling challenge St. Louis and Lecavalier statistically. Whether they can measure up beyond numerically remains to be seen.

Winning the Stanley Cup would certainly put a brighter sheen on ANY of the current guys. Managing to stay consistently productive over 15ish year careers with this franchise will certainly put any of the aforementioned guys in the discussion. Stamkos and Hedman's long term contracts inherently give them the best chance of doing that.

I kind of agree, oddly enough. Hedman is ridiculously underrated. Him and Karlsson are about even and will both at least challenge Lidstrom. I don't think either passes him but watch out.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I agree with Vinny however it’s pretty cool that we have three guys (could even be 4 if we keep Drouin and he develops the way we hope) that can be up there challenging for the top spots and if nothing else they can round up the top-5 for years to come after they retire.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I think Stamkos and Lecavalier are close. Edge to Vinny.

I think Hedman has the ability to pass both though.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You're right, being better at hockey and actually staying healthy is what makes made him better. Not just points.

Look at what Vinny had on the roster to work with his first two years. Look where the franchise was and the weight that was put on his shoulders at 18. St. Louis became captain in his 30's and couldn't make it through a season before he wanted out. Stamkos gets to captain a stable franchise that has more quality and depth in it then ever before. Ask either one of them to do what Vinny did at 18/19 and they fail, hard. It's not all about stats which Vinny is up there in its importance to the franchise and community too and nobody matches Vinny in that regard.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

dont agree fully with teams they played on either seeing as how well kucherov has done stamkos missing one year tyjo broken hand another palat injury etc..

does anyone think if marty vinny or brad missed the playoffs they win that year? i don't

right now kucherov has been our best playoff performer so he needs to keep that up stamkos needs to step up have a 15 goal 30 point run sometime lol make up some ground:) etc.. and we need to win plain and simple we have to win cup and/or more

This core is not winning a cup at all unless yzerman makes serious changes

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Uh yes it's called the bulin wall

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I think Tyler Johnson has the slight edge on Kucherov as the better playoff performer, taking into account the past two playoffs. He was slightly below Kucherov last year, 2015 he was our best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad