Who is the riskiest and most successful GM?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Jim Rutherford comes to mind. Took some big gambles with Pittsburgh and ultimately paid off with the Stanley cup last year.

George McPhee was always a risky gm when he was with the Caps, not sure you could call him very successful in terms of playoff success though.

Can you remjnd me of the high risk moves the Rutherford made? Adding Kessel (with retention) for cheap? Getting Daley for Scuderi? Hagelin for Perron? Those all turned out great, but I wouldn't consider one a high risk move.

I'm going Sweeney. Moving a 22YO high potential dman for cheap. Trading and retaining on fan favorite Lucic. Then to go way off the board with the draft picks that those deals returned? And have the guys who got passed on to look good post draft? That's risky.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Marc Bergevin.

He traded PK for Weber. Huge risk that is paying off great for the habs.
He stuck with MT as his coach after the worst collapse in team history. MT is coaching amazing this year and the team is in 1st place.
Also traded 2 seconds and Eller for Shaw. Took a risk on Radulov who has been this years best UFA signing.

Doesn't have a cup yet to his name but he is closer than many think. So you can rank all cup winners ahead of MB, but so far this season he has taken the biggest risks with the biggest payoff, SO FAR.

It's honestly no different than if PK was with the team and long term it's obvious who'll come out on top.

The team is in 1st place because of Price and everyone knows this. We saw the difference without him

He didn't take a risk on Radulov considering it was a one year deal and anyone with a brain realized Radulov is amazing

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Can you remjnd me of the high risk moves the Rutherford made? Adding Kessel (with retention) for cheap? Getting Daley for Scuderi? Hagelin for Perron? Those all turned out great, but I wouldn't consider one a high risk move.

I'm going Sweeney. Moving a 22YO high potential dman for cheap. Trading and retaining on fan favorite Lucic. Then to go way off the board with the draft picks that those deals returned? And have the guys who got passed on to look good post draft? That's risky.

So you notice that Rutherford was lacking a bit on the "high risk" side (I agree), but then mention Sweeney, who is lacking just as much, if not more, on the "most successful" bit?

For a true combination of high risk with success, you might actually have to go Lombardi here. Not sure.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lombardi, in consecutive years, traded for Penner, Carter, Regehr, Gaborik, Sekera, Lucic. Those are some pretty ballsy moves and he gets laughed at frequently for the ones that didn't work out but he's batting pretty high right now.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
How is the Weber trade paying off great for Habs? 30 games in and its not like Habs wasnt a very good team before the trade when Price isnt injured. Its highly unlikely that its a good trade longterm. He has played 30 games for Habs, cant say if that paid off or not until many years from now or if they win a cup.
Eller and Shaw trades arent risks. Same with Radulov, one year deal for a proven pointscorer isnt a risk at all. They signed him to a one year deal to avoid the risk.

Look how few goals at 5v5 Weber has been on the ice for. Look at Emelin and his play. Yes Price is an amazing goalie, but when Weber/Price combo is on the ice for 20 minutes of the game the opposition has almost no chance to score. Weber has brought something different to this team that it has been missing.

Shaw was a risk to bring him in for 2 high 2nds and sign him to that contract. Rad was also a risk most on this board thought he was Semin 2.0.

With hindsight everyone pretends that all these moves were going to pay off but go back in the summer and most posters were ragging on MB and calling him out for all his moves. Team is top of the league and all the players he brought in have been big contributors to that.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
It's honestly no different than if PK was with the team and long term it's obvious who'll come out on top.

The team is in 1st place because of Price and everyone knows this. We saw the difference without him

He didn't take a risk on Radulov considering it was a one year deal and anyone with a brain realized Radulov is amazing

Team isn't in first place because of Price. Team is a top 5 scoring team and has one of the top PP's in the league.

Who knows what things would be like with PK here. He is also racking up the - in Nash and is on the ice for tons of goals while Weber is barely on the ice for any goals at all.

And Rads was a risk. Most thought he was done and woudn't bring anything to the NHL. He has been the best UFA signing this summer.

All MB's moves were very risky this year and so far they have paid off. I am only talking about now. As time goes on things can change but lets judge what we see now.

Chirallie should get an honorable mention for trading Hall for Larsson and signing Lucic as well.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
GTFO with the Rutherford suggestion. His best move for the Pens was trading Dumo and more for Staal as the Canes GM. His remaining moves was letting 4 of the best players in the league continue to be the best players.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Stan Bowman - Chicago. He repeatedly has to trade players who out value their usefulness to his team. Saad is a great player, but they couldn't afford the cap hit and there are plenty of examples. He trades a player like that for picks/prospects to re-stock on low cost effective players, took a big risk in giving Toews/Kane massive contracts that haven't backfired yet. (10.5mil caphit)

He pays the price to keep those he needs, sends packing the guys he doesn't in order to recycle them into cheaper more cost-effective players. Went on a limb and go Panarin, got plenty of players who weren't as effective on other teams as they are on his. Knew which players to keep around even if it seemed risky and which to move which also seemed risky.

Eventually, his risk vs reward might dwindle, but by the time it does his team already has 3 cups, 2 of which he was the GM for. The guy takes big risks IMO, but he has such a good success rate that it makes it seem farm less risky in retrospect.

Like I said, he'll overpay to keep the guys he knows he needs, and trade away players he doesn't without batting an eyelash, and he'll do it when their value is at a perfect time to do so.

HM: Dean Lombardi, and subsequently he has 2 cups to his credit too.

Rutherford didn't take too many risks since the trades he did were shrewd and IMO pretty lopsided. Anyone could've told you they were wins when they happened, but I admit some were more obvious wins than others.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Chiarelli I think, I don't view most of those trades and moves Lombardi or Bowman did as very risky.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Team isn't in first place because of Price. Team is a top 5 scoring team and has one of the top PP's in the league.

Who knows what things would be like with PK here. He is also racking up the - in Nash and is on the ice for tons of goals while Weber is barely on the ice for any goals at all.

And Rads was a risk. Most thought he was done and woudn't bring anything to the NHL. He has been the best UFA signing this summer.

All MB's moves were very risky this year and so far they have paid off. I am only talking about now. As time goes on things can change but lets judge what we see now.

Chirallie should get an honorable mention for trading Hall for Larsson and signing Lucic as well.

MB was ridiculed this offseason for getting rid of PK for supposed reasons other than hockey, then bringing in another "locker room problem" in Radulov. It wasn't necessarily a risk to bring Radulov in but he certainly had balls of steel to trade PK.

I just love the stat watchers too. "PK's been outplaying him the last ten games". What's great about Weber is that when he's not producing offense for our team, at least he's not producing offense for the other team.

Weber's 5/5 GA/60 in relation to his team
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=50&teamid=16&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

And Subbans

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=50&teamid=17&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

Subban and Ekholm are getting lit up nightly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00