Who is the Real Whipping Boy

Who is the Canucks' whipping boy this year?

• Total voters

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
A whipping boy is someone taking punishment that someone else deserves. If you deserve it, you aren't the whipping boy.
And I think that still applies to bad players who receive the fixation of the fanbase. Most whipping boys are sub-par players in some way or other (major exceptions in this market being Sedins and Luongo, who fall far more into the definition you have given), but we have deemed them worthy of especial scorn.

I just thought it was interesting that unlike most years, it is tricky to identify just one guy that we all pile on.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The reason Goldobin isn't the opposite is because what expectations of a player like him should be. The attitude towards him is the same fans in Calgary had towards Baertschi. If Goldobin were 26 it would be warranted, but he isn't.

The large amount of supporters are the ones who take note that he's 23 in his first full NHL season.

Could see another Baertschi for sure. Just don't think that's anything to get particularly excited about.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough. Though the irrational part, in my estimation, is not that they are good or bad at hockey, but that the fixation they recieve from fans is not commensurate with their actual impact. Gudbranson is a bad player. He could still be a whipping boy for everything that is wrong with the team, though there are many other factors at play. Does that make sense?
I think you're trying to differentiate between two things that can't really be separated and are ultimately the same thing.

If you "accurately" think Gudbranson is this degree of bad but then ALSO think (or fixate on him due to the fact that you think) he's bad in a way that impacts the team more than he actually does, then logically speaking, you don't actually have an accurate view of how bad he is. How much he negatively impacts the team is inherently part of how bad he is. So calling one irrational is the same as calling the other irrational.

I get what you're trying to say, but I don't think it works, or that there's any way around that.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I have very rational reasons for disliking all of those players (except Goldobin, didn't even notice him on there). The actual undeserved whipping boys on the team are Markstrom and Edler. Outside of Pettersson and Horvat those two are the biggest reason we win games and they still get crapped on all the time.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
It's Guddy. A true whipping boy is one that is usually terrible but is crapped on even when they have a good game (which is usually rare)

Pouliot doesn't qualify for this because I can't think of a game where he wasn't the worst Canuck on the ice.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Goldobin doesn't really get blamed or criticized nearly often enough to be considered a scapegoat. When he has strong stretches, people are generally at least moderately approving of him, and when he plays poorly, people become lukewarm and disinterested in him and that's about it. I don't really understand why he's on the list to begin with. And people generally like that trade (I didn't, really).

He's closer to someone who gets undeservedly praised than undeservedly blamed around here.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Pouliot. He's my least favorite player on the Canucks by a significant margin. He was traded here and subsequently gifted a top 4 role on our blueline, deserving none of it. He rarely makes a decent offensive play and constantly leaves you wanting more. He's a 7th defenseman on the Edmonton Oilers. He can't skate, he can't pass, he can't shoot, he's absolutely useless as an NHL roster player. He should be collecting cheetos dust in between bus rides in Utica.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Management says Goldobin.

I say Pouliot. Put a wreath around his neck slap his ass to send him off into the sunset with all of our sins and let's move forward.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
None of the above.

Whipping boy suggests they don't deserve the criticism they are receiving.

MDZ by the OPs definition.

He isnt even playing 3 out of 4 nights.
The rest just get what they deserve.

Edit oh crap, didnt even realise Goldobin is there. Why is he there?

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Pouliot. He's my least favorite and the guy who sticks out in terms of poor play. The others have various ways they contribute. Schaller is very close but defensemen stand out.

Everyone complains about Gudbranson and I think we get it - he has rough games. And maybe the fact that he has strong ones is what frustrates people because we see unfulfilled potential. But that's the guy we've got. It's similar to Goldobin in a lot of ways. In both cases though, it's common for people to take a glass-half-full view of them and so it's incomplete. I'm not happy they've got large gaps in their talent, but at least they bring something to the game. It's frustrating and I understand, but not everyone is going to give us a complete game.

Like look, people clamor for grit and sandpaper guys to shelter Pettersson, but if those guys have talent whatsoever, they're extremely coveted. For goodness sakes, people on here have even asked for Lucic. The teams that have bigger, hard hitting guys have to look the other way when their talent isn't top tier because it's still that type of game.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Pouliot. He's my least favorite and the guy who sticks out in terms of poor play. The others have various ways they contribute. Schaller is very close but defensemen stand out.

Everyone complains about Gudbranson and I think we get it - he has rough games. And maybe the fact that he has strong ones is what frustrates people because we see unfulfilled potential. But that's the guy we've got. It's similar to Goldobin in a lot of ways. In both cases though, it's common for people to take a glass-half-full view of them and so it's incomplete. I'm not happy they've got large gaps in their talent, but at least they bring something to the game. It's frustrating and I understand, but not everyone is going to give us a complete game.

Like look, people clamor for grit and sandpaper guys to shelter Pettersson, but if those guys have talent whatsoever, they're extremely coveted. For goodness sakes, people on here have even asked for Lucic. The teams that have bigger, hard hitting guys have to look the other way when their talent isn't top tier because it's still that type of game.

Trust me.

Gudbransons "strong" games dont frustrate anyone. There is zero untapped potential there. Move him for what ever and we will be in a better position.

What do you think he brings..?

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Who here wants Lucic? Jeebus, I wouldn’t even trade Eriksson straight up for him.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I'm gonna say Eriksson.

I feel like the flak he gets over his contract far outweighs his actual contributions or lack of contributions on the ice.

To hear some talk, he never does anything and is a completely useless anchor of a player. But then you look at his actual stats and deployment, and even if he's not the offensive player we were hoping for his 200 ft game and defensive play are very good. He's a responsible winger you can literally put on any line, and every now and then he shows a bit of his old magic and produces, sometimes like against Florida multiple times in a night.

As for the others...
Pouliot/Schaller/MDZ/Granlund get all the criticism their play deserves.

Whereas, Goldobin and Gudbranson simply aren't producing to the level they need to be, and especially for Guddy have been defensive liabilities.

There isn't anything particularly unfair in the general criticism of Gudbranson, even if it gets hyperbolic. Goldy's lack of production apart from Pettersson and in the later half of the season so far combined with his struggling to keep up with his defensive responsibilities also make criticism of his play fair. Hopefully Goldy can figure it out as a young player, Guddy likely needs a new team.

To me, whipping boy means mostly undeserved, or overblown criticism that happens regardless of what they do... so yeah Gudbranson deserves his Criticism, so Loui Eriksson is my selection.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
I am going to say Goldobin, since he's getting a lot of crap of a particular group of posters, the same group of posters who were all over Hutton last season, since he was management whipping boy. Now, Hutton is a regular and people tried to pin Guddy's mistakes on him. Unfortunately, that didn't aged well.

Goldobin, for me, it is last year's version of Hutton. If we retain him (and I really hope we do), he will prove some posters wrong.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Goldobin definitely by a select few that pulled a 180 on him once he was rumoured to be on the block

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I find it funny Gudbranson leads this... He is not a whipping boy. He is overrated and shouldnt be playing in the NHL.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't know how Eriksson isn't facing more heat. He hasn't lived up to his contract for one second of it. He floats around, shoots wiffle balls at goalies, and just because he's somewhat defensively sound we shouldn't be calling him out on his contract?

He's a phantom in the room, doesn't talk to media, and is the garbage time king. The media and fans should be lighting him up daily.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I don't know how Eriksson isn't facing more heat. He hasn't lived up to his contract for one second of it. He floats around, shoots wiffle balls at goalies, and just because he's somewhat defensively sound we shouldn't be calling him out on his contract?

He's a phantom in the room, doesn't talk to media, and is the garbage time king. The media and fans should be lighting him up daily.

he's here to collect his pension, leave him alone.
:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Reactions: rypper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad