Who is the off-the-radar free agent signing this year?

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
As far as free-agent signings go, age doesn't matter to me so much as their attitude and whether they are fastidious in their efforts. Even Radulov would be fine by me, so long as he works hard and ignites a fire under the butts of his teammates.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Alex Goligoski: Old enough to appeal to Holland and enough offensive prowess to be tempting.

Ben Scrivens: Affordable, sometimes competent back up for when Howie gets traded.

Kovalchuk: Just a whimsical throw in since he has garnered no mention recently.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Alex Goligoski: Old enough to appeal to Holland and enough offensive prowess to be tempting.

Ben Scrivens: Affordable, sometimes competent back up for when Howie gets traded.

Kovalchuk: Just a whimsical throw in since he has garnered no mention recently.

I agree on Goligoski, I think he's in the Holland range of guys. Kovalchuk won't come here, he's signed in the KHL again I think. And as for Scrivens, I would rather sign Enroth or Johnson.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He was already mentioned, but Frans Nielsen is my hope (for the off-the-radar category, which doesn't fit many of the players mentioned in this thread imo). Nielsen has been one of the more under-rated players in the league for a while. The guy is Mr. Versatility. He could slot in Richards' old spot and provide twice the value (assuming he gets paid roughly the same).

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Radulov/Eriksson and a defenseman. Sadly there's not that many interesting ones available. Hamhuis would do wonders for us but he's probably staying with the Canucks.

Nielsen is a good shout too

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Kris Russell
Jason Chimera
Dan Hamius
Huds!!!!!

Weird. I almost put Chimera in the OP. I think he'll ultimately re-sign in Washington, but if he doesn't, I Holland will talk to him, I would almost guarantee it. Been around the league a million years, "good veteran presence," fast, big, scores dirty goals, versatile. I actually really wouldn't mind it in a vacuum, but coming off a 20/20 year and being 37, he'll want a last big paycheck.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He was already mentioned, but Frans Nielsen is my hope (for the off-the-radar category, which doesn't fit many of the players mentioned in this thread imo). Nielsen has been one of the more under-rated players in the league for a while. The guy is Mr. Versatility. He could slot in Richards' old spot and provide twice the value (assuming he gets paid roughly the same).

Nielsen will get $5M. He put up 50+ points and can play center. If he doesn't get $5M, he'll get $4.5M but it'll be for something ridic like 6 years. The man is 32. I don't want him at all. He's precisely the type of guy that you love and can play an integral role in a Cup win when he's underpaid but will contribute to your mediocrity and cap headaches when given a UFA salary.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Nielsen will get $5M. He put up 50+ points and can play center. If he doesn't get $5M, he'll get $4.5M but it'll be for something ridic like 6 years. The man is 32. I don't want him at all. He's precisely the type of guy that you love and can play an integral role in a Cup win when he's underpaid but will contribute to your mediocrity and cap headaches when given a UFA salary.

Nah, he's not getting 6 years at age 32, as a non-elite player. Nor is he going to get $5M. If his price tag were indeed $30M for 6 years, then obviously we don't want him (no one would, he'd be out of an NHL job). But I think that's a completely unrealistic expectation.

You put him on this roster and he's immediately one of our 3 best forwards. That's plenty enough value to trump his age. Given our need at center, the experience of Datsyuk and Richards walking out the door, and the extreme unlikelihood we sign Stamkos, he's an almost perfect fit.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Nah, he's not getting 6 years at age 32, as a non-elite player. Nor is he going to get $5M. If his price tag were indeed $30M for 6 years, then obviously we don't want him (no one would, he'd be out of an NHL job). But I think that's a completely unrealistic expectation.

You put him on this roster and he's immediately one of our 3 best forwards. That's plenty enough value to trump his age. Given our need at center, the experience of Datsyuk and Richards walking out the door, and the extreme unlikelihood we sign Stamkos, he's an almost perfect fit.

i agree with your last paragraph and its why i unfortunately think we will sign eric staal to a 3 year deal at about 5 million

no way we go into next season if datsyuk retires with zetts, larkin, sheahan, glenny down the middle

book it, they will go after stamkos but will most likely sign eric staal

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would not mind signing Nielsen.

Mostly because

1) I don't want Z playing center anymore
2) I don't want Sheahan as 2nd line center next year

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
I would not mind signing Nielsen.

Mostly because

1) I don't want Z playing center anymore
2) I don't want Sheahan as 2nd line center next year

I wouldn't mind Nielsen either. Are we assuming Larkin slots at 1C next year?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Frans Nielsen will get at least 5 million. Filppula got 5 mil, 2 or 3 years ago, after putting up 19 pts in 41 games. Nielsen will likely get 5-5.5 over 4-6 years from someone.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Okposo will not sign in Detroit and that's a good thing. His contract will be higher than Abdelkaders by a good margin, and the Wings already have more wingers than they know what to do with.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Okposo will not sign in Detroit and that's a good thing. His contract will be higher than Abdelkaders by a good margin, and the Wings already have more wingers than they know what to do with.

it's why not signing Abdelkader and signing Okposo would have been a better course of action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad