Who is the off-the-radar free agent signing this year?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yandle-Green
Kronwall-DeKeyser
Smith-Marchenko
Ouellet

No you're not. That's not to say we couldn't get Fowler or Trouba via a trade for the plethora of wingers we have.

Fowler/Trouba-Yandle
Kronwall-Green
DeKeyser-Marchenko
Smith/Ouellet

Then we could start talking about a playoff run

Yandle-Green as your top pair is going -100. Dekeyser can't play the right side well, at all.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Every single person on here said the same thing about Quincey when his last contract was running out. You never know with Holland.

Different situations imo. Quincey being re-signed was a panic move from striking out in free agency.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
DDK-Green
Yandle-Marchy
Ericsson-Kronner

Wouldn't be too bad of a D, and that's just adding Yandle.

There's no way in hell they would have a Yandle-Green pair

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Different situations imo. Quincey being re-signed was a panic move from striking out in free agency.

And when Datsyuk leaves... And then Stamkos and Staal gets snatched up?

I don't know, wouldn't surprise me.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Yandle-Green as your top pair is going -100. Dekeyser can't play the right side well, at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iix_MCIdBeE&sns=em

Yandle's defensive play has improved tenfold from what it was on the Coyotes. Not to mention combined they would have put up 85 points this year. But ok different pairings

Kronwall-Yandle
Dekeyser-Green
Marchenko-Smith

Yandle would be an asset we get without losing anything but cap space

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iix_MCIdBeE&sns=em

Yandle's defensive play has improved tenfold from what it was on the Coyotes. Not to mention combined they would have put up 85 points this year. But ok different pairings

Kronwall-Yandle
Dekeyser-Green
Marchenko-Smith

Yandle would be an asset we get without losing anything but cap space

I get that... and I LIKE Yandle... What I'm saying is you need to consider fit.

Kronwall-Yandle as a top pairing would also be a big time minus pairing. Also don't think Yandle has played the right side at all in his whole career.

Your pairings are kind of proving my point a little in how he doesn't fit.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

DeKeyser - Green
Yandle - Marchenko
Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith

I actually think he fits great. If Ericsson is going to keep his spot and Kronwall's knee is banged up, this gives more heavy lifting to other guys. And look, at least one guy with a good pass on all 3 units!

Obviously a more rounded player fits even better, but those guys are the trade sort. I mean ideally you're freeing up salary this off-season and can also upgrade on Marchenko on that 2nd pair with a trade.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
DeKeyser - Green
Yandle - Marchenko
Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith

I actually think he fits great. If Ericsson is going to keep his spot and Kronwall's knee is banged up, this gives more heavy lifting to other guys. And look, at least one guy with a good pass on all 3 units!

Obviously a more rounded player fits even better, but those guys are the trade sort. I mean ideally you're freeing up salary this off-season and can also upgrade on Marchenko on that 2nd pair with a trade.

This was the best configuration I could come up in my head. Though you have a 9 million dollar bottom pair in this scenario, and the right side of your bottom 4 is awfully slow.

I have been gunning for Yandle for years, but I think Demers is a better fit if we are going to go the free agency route.

Almost would prefer

Dekeyser-Green
Kronwall-Smith
Yandle-Marchenko

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
To the folks who say okposo won't sign here, has he come out and said that it is there other info that indicates such? Just wondering, thanks

Want him and Martin on the team, amongst others.....

He *could* sign in Detroit, but unless Detroit offers the best money and term he won't sign in Detroit. And given the fact Detroit may have issues at wing but it's not as bad as their centers or defense, Detroit won't throw 5-6 million at a winger.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I get that... and I LIKE Yandle... What I'm saying is you need to consider fit.

Kronwall-Yandle as a top pairing would also be a big time minus pairing. Also don't think Yandle has played the right side at all in his whole career.

Neither Kronwall or Yandle can play on the left, so that won't be a pairing. Bench's idea is probably closer.

I am not a huge Yandle fan, he does bring buckets of offense though. DeKeyser has always looked better on the left so the ideal babysitter doesn't play on that side.

I also doubt they want to waive both Sproul and Ouellet. I think they make that tough decision if DeKeyser cap comes in favorably and Yandle really does have us on a short list. But a couple things have to break right for that to happen.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He *could* sign in Detroit, but unless Detroit offers the best money and term he won't sign in Detroit. And given the fact Detroit may have issues at wing but it's not as bad as their centers or defense, Detroit won't throw 5-6 million at a winger.

I think Detroit will gladly spend 5-6 million on a winger if they miss out on a center to replace Datsyuk. If that happens, they're putting Larkin at center, and I'm sure they'd love to have a high-profile winger lining up alongside Larkin to draw some attention away from him.

Not to mention, the way Blashill has talked about Nyquist and Tatar unfavorably, and the way Holland has talked about trades, being aggressive, and adding size, it makes you think they could easily be in the market for a big-name winger to replace trade bait.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Kris Russell
Jason Chimera
Dan Hamius
Huds!!!!!

Like this list a lot. Realistic. Some weird established but still boom/bust in russel and hamhuis, our bottom 6 needs a lot of work and Chimera would be great for that, and Hudler offers some of the best bang for buck you can get.

Think all of the Stars ufa D are worth looking at. How come Demers PIM has spiked the last two years? Has he lost a step?

Stall would be a great stop gap I think.

Always wondered why David Perron doesn't produce more.

We got lots of room for scrappy wingers, no matter what age. Again looking at the Stars, grinders Scevior and Fiddler. Like Matt Martin.

Obviously not a lot out there, but wings need to hunt for some decent kindling (no matter what age) and then search the farm for sparks.

Anybody know anything on David Warsofsky? Decent pedigree and real young for a ufa.

And finally slightly off topic, but I'd like to know if anyone has followed Stamkos closely and can speak to his prowess as a defensive center. I'm skeptical about his completeness as a cup contending true center.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Filppula was 29 when he got his 5 year deal. Nielsen is 32. His current contract, signed as a 28yo UFA, is 4 years, $11M, and he signed it after putting up 47 points. There is not a chance in hell that he gets a 6 year deal for upwards of $5M this off-season.

Why are you pointing out his last deal? That has nothing to do with what he may or may not get this time around. He is much improved in the last 4 years, and you are kidding yourself if you think he is getting less than 5 mil/season from anyone. David Clarkson had one 30 goal season and got a 7 year deal at over 5 mil a season. Nielsen is a fairly consistent 2nd line type player who can PK and plays a two way game.

In my opinion he will easily get 5x5 from someone. Have you seen the inflation of weak UFA's anymore? Weak players pull in awesome deals all the time. Jeff Petry for pete's sake got a 5 year deal, he a 5th-6th talent dman at best.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Why are you pointing out his last deal? That has nothing to do with what he may or may not get this time around. He is much improved in the last 4 years, and you are kidding yourself if you think he is getting less than 5 mil/season from anyone. David Clarkson had one 30 goal season and got a 7 year deal at over 5 mil a season. Nielsen is a fairly consistent 2nd line type player who can PK and plays a two way game.

In my opinion he will easily get 5x5 from someone. Have you seen the inflation of weak UFA's anymore? Weak players pull in awesome deals all the time. Jeff Petry for pete's sake got a 5 year deal, he a 5th-6th talent dman at best.

I pointed out his last deal because you brought up Filppula, and Nielsen when he signed his last deal was more comparable to Filppula than he is now, yet he only received $11M over 4 years. And now he's 4 years OLDER. So Filppula doesn't really work as a good comparison. Nor does Petry; he's also 4 years younger and also plays a different position. And Clarkson is a terrible example.... yeah, there's been wacky contracts handed out over the years, but those are the exception to the rule, and there's no reason to believe that Nielsen is going to get a contract in line with the craziest ones of years past.

Nielsen is not much improved over the past 4 years. He's virtually the same player (which is a testament to his consistency).... great two-way guy, aptly plays the PP, is near-lethal on the penalty kill, has a high compete level, is not very physical, and is below-average in the faceoff circle. That's what he was 4 years ago, and that's what he is today. Oh, and aside from a small spike two seasons ago, his point totals have been pretty much the same for 5 years straight.

I can see Nielsen getting $5M per year, but most certainly not for 4-6 years. That's what I disagree with. If he were 28, like the players you compared him to, and like he was when he signed his last contract, I might agree.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I'd take Sheahan as 2C over Staal, but that move does make a ton of sense for Kenny. I bet Helm is brought back, but I don't know if that qualifies as a surprise.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I'd take Sheahan as 2C over Staal, but that move does make a ton of sense for Kenny. I bet Helm is brought back, but I don't know if that qualifies as a surprise.

Staal had 39 points in 83 games this year. Richards had 37 points in 76 games when we signed him. Staal does have the size and age advantage, but I'd hope that Holland walking away from Richards wouldn't be to just grab another Richards in Staal. Especially when Richards was signed for the playoffs and Staal just laid an egg in his most recent playoff series.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Don't sign anyone who will be around long term or eat up more than like $4M of the cap

No point since the team isn't really trying to do anything currently, see what the next wave of kids can do, plus we don't really have a ton of cap space anyway

Just keep drafting and developing and stop giving out bad contracts to players like Ericsson, Abby, etc.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
SIgn Yandle and trade for Vatanen

I think Yandle would cost us at least 7 years $42 million and then you would be giving Vatanen at least 5 years $25 million not really sure if we can afford both. Though would love to add both. I guess if we can move both Datsyuk and Howard's contract without having to eat much on Howard maybe we could do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad