Who is the NHL version of Ohtani?

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
Ohtani in baseball is playing 2 extremely niche positions, pitcher and position player (batter). Has there ever been an NHL version of that? A player who can play skater (position player) AND goalie. And who were the best hockey players with that skillset?

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Laine was a goalie until he was like 14. Most likely not even european league level goalie, but that's the closest one I can think of.

Reactions: jetsforever

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Dumb questions but how does that work? Does he bat every game but pitch every 5? Does he play a position or DH the other 4? Does he rest/sit more frequently? If relieved as pitcher does he continue to bat?

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
Dumb questions but how does that work? Does he bat every game but pitch every 5? Does he play a position or DH the other 4? Does he rest/sit more frequently? If relieved as pitcher does he continue to bat?
Ohtani plays DH on non-pitching days. I think he pitches once every 1.5 weeks or so for injury reasons. He can continue to bat during his pitching starts if he plays like RF/LF or something but they don't get DH.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
A version of that??

I think the closest thing is something like Byfuglien
Played 1st line right wing
Played 2nd line right wing
Played Top pairing defense
can hit
was able to shoot the puck 100+

He'd also probably be a good candidate for the 3rd string goaltender if it came to that at 260ibs. He wouldn't give much to shoot at.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Ohtani plays DH on non-pitching days. I think he pitches once every 1.5 weeks or so for injury reasons. He can continue to bat during his pitching starts if he plays like RF/LF or something but they don't get DH.
Thanks.

Reactions: Norwegianoiler

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Some guys have switched between D and F, but a skater hasn't played in goal or vice versa since the 1920s when Lester Patrick did it while serving as coach, and even him and the other instances were on an emergency fill basis. The closest thing to a 'do everything' player that exists in NHL history might be the since eliminated rover position.

Reactions: DaveG

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Why didn't he ever dress as a skater? Maybe they had no good bench goalies for him so he had to net for the rest of his career? Idk I don't watch much hockey.
Why would you take one of the greatest goalies of all time and move him to a different position where he likely won't even be NHL level?

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples
upload_2021-6-7_23-47-43.gif

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Don’t get a DH because their pitcher hits, but he doesn’t play OF when he’s pitching. He pitches.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
A version of that??

can hit

He'd also probably be a good candidate for the 3rd string goaltender if it came to that at 260ibs. He wouldn't give much to shoot at.

Brett Burns would have a similar type of claim.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
A version of that??

can hit

prime buff was kind of a freak hockey player, he went from entering league as a defenseman then to wing and was elite then back to defense and once again elite and did it all while being in questionable shape at times but he was insanely talented for his size

Reactions: Flair Hay and DaveG

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
almost always DH i think he's sometimes played right field tho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad