NFL: Who is the NFL's Best Safety?

Malmo

Apr 6, 2008
No love for Reshad Jones? Constantly graded by PFF as one of the best all around safeties in the game.

I believe he at least deserves to be in the conversation. Thomas is probably the best but Jones is up there.

Something I saw on Reddit the other day:

Reshad Jones

420 tackles

6.5 sacks

11 interceptions

29 passes defended

Kam Chancellor

427 tackles

2 sacks

9 interceptions

31 passes defended

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Probably Thomas. But what about Haha Clinton-Dix or Morgan Burnett? Packers secondary doesn't get enough respect.

Ha Ha!

Why should the Packers secondary get respect? They just gave up a 500+ yard passing game. In fact, of the past like 8 500+ passing games, 3 came against the Packers.

And everyone blames Bostick for the Seahawks game last year.. I think Ha Ha should take the majority of the blame. His play on that lofted ball is the worst safety play I think I've ever seen (and as a Bills fan with a wife who is a Redskins fan, I watch Bacarri Rambo a lot):

If Ha Ha was any good, he knocks the ball down there, its 20-19 and Crosby kicks a game winning field goal.

Best In The Game

Nov 13, 2013
ottawa
So you are going to use one game and one play to trash a top 10 defense? Bills must be trash as well since Brady lit them up like ****ing christmas tree. But by all means keep cheering for your loser teams. I'm sure they will make the playoffs sometime in the next ****ing decade. Or maybe not.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
So you are going to use one game and one play to trash a top 10 defense? Bills must be trash as well since Brady lit them up like ****ing christmas tree. But by all means keep cheering for your loser teams. I'm sure they will make the playoffs sometime in the next ****ing decade. Or maybe not.

I used one play as an example of why Ha Ha is not anywhere near a top 10 safety. Polamalu, Sanders, Byrd, Weddle, Harrison Smith, Kam, etc would have made an easy play like that and win the game. Top players make that play.

I used one game to show the Packers secondary isn't top 10. Top 10 d's don't give up 500 yard games. In fact, it's really rare for a defense to give up 500+ passing yards. Really rare, as in its only happened 8 times since Dec 20, 2009. Think of all those inept defenses that have never given up a 500+ passing yard game... yet the Packers have done it 3 times of the 8.

Bills right now aren't a top 10 defense. They were last year and they never gave up a 500+ yard passing game. Even with Brady lighting up the Bills, they didn't give up 500+ passing yards.

During the offseason the Packers even felt the need to address their secondary by drafting 2 CBs (well one safety and a CB) with their top 2 picks. (unfortunately they didn't use one of those picks on Ron Darby who has graded out as one of the top CBs so far this year).

So, no Ha Ha is not a top safety and Morgan Burnett is much further away than Ha Ha is.

Best In The Game

Nov 13, 2013
ottawa
I used one play as an example of why Ha Ha is not anywhere near a top 10 safety. Polamalu, Sanders, Byrd, Weddle, Harrison Smith, Kam, etc would have made an easy play like that and win the game. Top players make that play.

I used one game to show the Packers secondary isn't top 10. Top 10 d's don't give up 500 yard games. In fact, it's really rare for a defense to give up 500+ passing yards. Really rare, as in its only happened 8 times since Dec 20, 2009. Think of all those inept defenses that have never given up a 500+ passing yard game... yet the Packers have done it 3 times of the 8.

Bills right now aren't a top 10 defense. They were last year and they never gave up a 500+ yard passing game. Even with Brady lighting up the Bills, they didn't give up 500+ passing yards.

During the offseason the Packers even felt the need to address their secondary by drafting 2 CBs (well one safety and a CB) with their top 2 picks. (unfortunately they didn't use one of those picks on Ron Darby who has graded out as one of the top CBs so far this year).

So, no Ha Ha is not a top 10 safety and Morgan Burnett is much further away than Ha Ha is.
You use one game to trash the Packers secondary who were a top 10 unit last year. Maybe you should worry more about your pathetic Bills who will once again finish last in their division and miss the playoffs. Funny how ****** teams like the Bills and Jaguars have the most obnoxious fans.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
You use one game to trash the Packers secondary who were a top 10 unit last year. Maybe you should worry more about your pathetic Bills who will once again finish last in their division and miss the playoffs. Funny how ****** teams like the Bills and Jaguars have the most obnoxious fans.

But you seem to be a Packers fan

Best In The Game

Nov 13, 2013
ottawa
Nope. Just replying to an uninformed Bills fan who wants to trash talk. And I didn't say Clinton Dix is one of the best safeties, I was just saying how underrated their secondary is.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Starting to see it in Jairus Byrd now. I'm not saying he's *the best* but he's making a big difference and you can see why he was considered the 2nd or 3rd best in the league just a couple offseasons ago. Has some very Earl Thomas-like abilities in his deep coverage. Which is nice when you're having to play junk like Kyle Wilson as your #2 corner. He's covering up that weakness nicely.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Nope. Just replying to an uninformed Bills fan who wants to trash talk. And I didn't say Clinton Dix is one of the best safeties, I was just saying how underrated their secondary is.

Wow, you make being a Bills fan sound like curse similar to how the words 4th and 26, or 19 to 7 with just over 2 mins left, or 15-1 season how hard can a wildcard team be are in places like Kenosha, WI. (or how wide right and no goal are in Buffalo)

All I'm saying is the Packers secondary are not overrated. They're appropriately rated as probably 15-20 in the league. They had the 10th best passing yards allowed per game last year, but that also had to due with allowing an average of 150 rushing yards per game through the first 10 or 12 games last year.

Yea, the Bills haven't made the playoffs in awhile, but they've had to face really great Jets and Pats secondaries and actually have competition in the division. I'm not saying the Bills would win the NFC North every year, but they did go 4-0 vs the NFC North last year, and Green Bay has never won in Buffalo.

This was your OP: But what about Haha Clinton-Dix or Morgan Burnett? Packers secondary doesn't get enough respect.

The answer to your how about is.. In my opinion they're not on there because the Packers are like 15th to 20th in the league in secondary and Ha Ha is probably 13-18 in the league in top safeties if that.

Best In The Game

Nov 13, 2013
ottawa
Wow, you make being a Bills fan sound like curse similar to how the words 4th and 26, or 19 to 7 with just over 2 mins left, or 15-1 season how hard can a wildcard team be are in places like Kenosha, WI. (or how wide right and no goal are in Buffalo)

All I'm saying is the Packers secondary are not overrated. They're appropriately rated as probably 15-20 in the league. They had the 10th best passing yards allowed per game last year, but that also had to due with allowing an average of 150 rushing yards per game through the first 10 or 12 games last year.

Yea, the Bills haven't made the playoffs in awhile, but they've had to face really great Jets and Pats secondaries and actually have competition in the division. I'm not saying the Bills would win the NFC North every year, but they did go 4-0 vs the NFC North last year, and Green Bay has never won in Buffalo.

This was your OP: But what about Haha Clinton-Dix or Morgan Burnett? Packers secondary doesn't get enough respect.

The answer to your how about is.. In my opinion they're not on there because the Packers are like 15th to 20th in the league in secondary and Ha Ha is probably 13-18 in the league in top safeties if that.

You don't watch the games. You just look at the stats and say "hey, green Bay's defense sucks." Who first in points allowed this year? You know, the most important stat. let's not talk about this didn't happen or that didn't happen, what happened was Green Bay won the game. And with 500 yards you should score a a lot more points. Congratulations on beating the NFC North last year, if that makes you feel better about the Jills finishing last in your division once again so be it. Have fun.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Starting to see it in Jairus Byrd now. I'm not saying he's *the best* but he's making a big difference and you can see why he was considered the 2nd or 3rd best in the league just a couple offseasons ago. Has some very Earl Thomas-like abilities in his deep coverage. Which is nice when you're having to play junk like Kyle Wilson as your #2 corner. He's covering up that weakness nicely.

Jairus Byrd has always been one of the league's best safeties I think. I got total respect for that dude.

Sill think Thomas is the best though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad