Who is the next Dysin Mayo?

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
By the end of this upcoming season. Expecting to sign some from the NCAA after their season - Cooley and Doan and burn off a season of their ELC.

The Tucson - Tempe shuttle will occur, but the problem with Roadrunners sticking in Tempe is that it is so important for this franchise to have at least 1 team making the playoffs next season and it's not likely to be the Coyotes. They do have an influx of veteran ex-KHLers. Still need to sign more players for Tucson.

Now back to the original question, I say Julian Lutz. Expecting him to be a 1st liner in Tucson, but if he beats everybody's expectations...

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
By the end of this upcoming season. Expecting to sign some from the NCAA after their season - Cooley and Doan and burn off a season of their ELC.

The Tucson - Tempe shuttle will occur, but the problem with Roadrunners sticking in Tempe is that it is so important for this franchise to have at least 1 team making the playoffs next season and it's not likely to be the Coyotes. They do have an influx of veteran ex-KHLers. Still need to sign more players for Tucson.

Now back to the original question, I say Julian Lutz. Expecting him to be a 1st liner in Tucson, but if he beats everybody's expectations...

Is it though?

For me it's much more important for this team to be perennially in the playoffs once these young guys mature (Cooley, Guenther, Lamoureux, whoever we draft next year etc). I'd honestly prefer to be in last place next year so we can draft Bedard / Michov rather than be slammed in round one like we were against Colorado. And Tucson is AHL.

Do you really believe the bolded statement above? Curious to hear your point of view, not challenging just asking. For me by far the more important thing is to develop the young guys to eventually become impact players, that's so much more important than a playoff series or two (esp in Tucson)

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Our top prospects won't be in Tucson next season, so I'm not putting a lot of weight on the importance of them making the playoffs. Sure, it'd be nice, but I don't think we're there yet. Just my opinion.

Edit: No clue who the surprise will be.

Reactions: PainForShane

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Is it though?

For me it's much more important for this team to be perennially in the playoffs once these young guys mature (Cooley, Guenther, Lamoureux, whoever we draft next year etc). I'd honestly prefer to be in last place next year so we can draft Bedard / Michov rather than be slammed in round one like we were against Colorado. And Tucson is AHL.

Do you really believe the bolded statement above? Curious to hear your point of view, not challenging just asking. For me by far the more important thing is to develop the young guys to eventually become impact players, that's so much more important than a playoff series or two (esp in Tucson)
Yes, I do! Part of the winning culture. Early season as oppose to still playing.
I am talking about being good enough to make the Calder Cup Playoffs and then adding Coyotes (like McBain and Smith) who qualify, to the Roadrunners, so they can make a run. That is if the Coyotes are out of it.

The Roadrunners are closer to the playoffs than the Coyotes., as long as the Coyotes don't deplete the roster with injury call-ups. Last season we lacked depth. Hopefully we made up for it with these ex-KHLers signings.

I like to see a Moser Soderstrom pairing. A future 2nd pairing and both are waiver exempt.

Last edited:

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Yes, I do! Part of the winning culture. Early season as oppose to still playing.
I am talking about being good enough to make the Calder Cup Playoffs and then adding Coyotes (like McBain and Smith) who qualify, to the Roadrunners, so they can make a run. That is if the Coyotes are out of it.

The Roadrunners are closer to the playoffs than the Coyotes., as long as the Coyotes don't deplete the roster with injury call-ups. Last season we lacked depth. Hopefully we made up for it with these ex-KHLers signings.

I like to see a Moser Soderstrom pairing. A future 2nd pairing and both are waiver exempt.

Yeah ok -- if I'm understanding correctly you're saying, "hey look if Tucson makes the playoffs then everyone on that team will be part of a winning culture (or at least winning enough) which should translate when they get to the big club"

I can see where you're coming from -- I mean, culture-wise there's a big difference between playing on a playoff team and playing on a last place team with no hope of reaching playoffs (like, say the Yotes this year).

But, not sure don't know I 100% agree -- first, most players who are drafted have played on winning teams before (whether in junior, national teams etc) so it's not like they don't know how to win. Second not all of our minor league guys will be in Tucson next year. But lastly, plenty of good players play on bad teams and stay good players. Take, say COL where McK / Landeskog etc were on the worst team in the league in 2016, Matt Duchene even forced a trade (ha what an idiot). Or in Tampa Stamkos missed the playoffs 4 of his first 5 years, incl the years he scored 51 and 60 goals (Hedman missed 3 of his first 4). Worked out ok for those players, there are plenty of examples like this.

I mean, nothing wrong with hoping Tucson makes the playoffs I just think it's more important that the young guys get ice time (wherever that is) and can take advantage of their opportunities. Like if Cooley scores 50 goals in the minors that would be good enough for me. But, honestly the two are probably related -- put another way if our young guys start dominating the AHL then probably Tucson will make the playoffs right? So we can hope for both things at the same time.

Either way, definitely see where you're coming from and you're definitely not wrong, having our AHL guys get playoff experience would definitely not be a bad thing overall. Thx for the perspective

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Yeah ok -- if I'm understanding correctly you're saying, "hey look if Tucson makes the playoffs then everyone on that team will be part of a winning culture (or at least winning enough) which should translate when they get to the big club"

I can see where you're coming from -- I mean, culture-wise there's a big difference between playing on a playoff team and playing on a last place team with no hope of reaching playoffs (like, say the Yotes this year).

But, not sure don't know I 100% agree -- first, most players who are drafted have played on winning teams before (whether in junior, national teams etc) so it's not like they don't know how to win. Second not all of our minor league guys will be in Tucson next year. But lastly, plenty of good players play on bad teams and stay good players. Take, say COL where McK / Landeskog etc were on the worst team in the league in 2016, Matt Duchene even forced a trade (ha what an idiot). Or in Tampa Stamkos missed the playoffs 4 of his first 5 years, incl the years he scored 51 and 60 goals (Hedman missed 3 of his first 4). Worked out ok for those players, there are plenty of examples like this.

I mean, nothing wrong with hoping Tucson makes the playoffs I just think it's more important that the young guys get ice time (wherever that is) and can take advantage of their opportunities. Like if Cooley scores 50 goals in the minors that would be good enough for me. But, honestly the two are probably related -- put another way if our young guys start dominating the AHL then probably Tucson will make the playoffs right? So we can hope for both things at the same time.

Either way, definitely see where you're coming from and you're definitely not wrong, having our AHL guys get playoff experience would definitely not be a bad thing overall. Thx for the perspective
I also believe it should be easier to make the Calder playoffs and that anyone on the Coyotes that qualifies for the Roadrunners should be on their playoff roster. Another way to look at it is getting ice time and continuing playing vs an early summer and we have a lot of waiver exempt guys coming in.
I do not know what is the minimal qualifications needed to be able to add to the Roadrunner's playoff roster, if there is any. But I am suggesting that the Roadrunners should build a team that can qualify for the Calder without those additions (and add to the Coyotes depth chart), but the additions would just allow the Roadrunners to advance in the playoffs and give those additions extra ice time vs an early summer vacation.

With all these waiver exempt elcs coming in, I see what I refer to as the Tucson - Tempe shuttle happening. Injuries do happen.

If there is a Soderstrom-Moser pairing it might be a good idea to start them in Tucson for 1st pairing ice time and develop chemistry. Both young enough to deal with it.

Reactions: PainForShane

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Carcone?

There's a very long list of players above him in the depth chart but none of them have his hustle.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
On that note, who is Dysin Mayo and is he really Arizona's 1RD? Saw him on Team Canada's WC roster and ended up trying to learn more about him. How is a guy with no experience slotted as a top pairing RD out of no where?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
On that note, who is Dysin Mayo and is he really Arizona's 1RD? Saw him on Team Canada's WC roster and ended up trying to learn more about him. How is a guy with no experience slotted as a top pairing RD out of no where?

Solid, pretty mistake free player. He won't wow you with anything, but I can't really remember too many instances where I wanted to fire him into the sun like the likes of OEL and Goligoski. haha

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
So really a home grown 3RD, with potential to be a low tier 2RD, playing up a few spots because of lack of depth.

I'd say mid tier 2nd pair on most teams, imo he's already playing like a low tier 2nd (actually that's exactly what he's doing for us). He's responsible in the D-zone, not much offense and also isn't big. Very good 3rd pair on a contender, absolutely can hold his own defensively on the 2nd pair on any team.

Based on your posting history, are you a Sens fan? Mayo would absolutely be an improvement on Zaitsev though he's not top pair potential. Although... if you played him with Chabot it might free up Chabot to jump in the play more often, with your top 6 that could potentially be game changing at ES. Not the worst idea actually. Hmm...

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Not sure if it will be surprising, but I just don't see any way Jenik or Macelli don't come up and play lights out.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Maccelli needs to put on some mass. We'll see if he has at camp.
Yep, Maccelli is without a doubt gifted offensively, but he does nee to add some muscle and I do hope he realized that and did all he could get in the off season about getting stronger.

He could be a gem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad