Who is the next doormat of the NFL?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I didn't intend to find this article, I stumbled across it. My vote is Arizona after hiring Klingsbury. If you look at these recent NFC West hires these guys look like the new BRAT pack. He has no coaching experience in the NFL. His college team stunk. Your job as a head coach is to teach your coaches so they can better do their job. I've heard stories like when Baker Mayfield got hurt he basically ignored him then while he was still around. Hes not a team guy, he may have worked as a QB coach.

If Smith can't come back Washington is a good second choice.

Miami may be a wildcard. NE after Brady will likely go back to what they were. Cowherd loves them and yesterday crapped on McDaniels for wanting to be the heir apparent.

With the Browns improving, who might be the NFL's new doormat?

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Interesting....Miami has had TEN coaches since 2004. Cleveland 10 and Oakland 9. I think Miami gets the unfair pass the even Oakland doesn't. Miami had Shula and Marino. They have 2 titles and I don't think a playoff win since 1998. They are one of 5 teams to not have a playoff win this century. Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland and Cincinnati I believe. Their best QB since Marino was Chad Pennington. Basically just sloppy seconds of the Jets.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Miami has been tanking for over a decade mostly. Still not sold Lawrence is gunna be this good in the NFL. He does have some potential though. I think he can be very serviceable in the league but I don't know if he has superstar written all over him. Sadly for them their will be quite a few other teams in the hunt. He also may not come out for 3 more years.

member 157595

At this point Lawrence is the best QB prospect since Luck IMO. However, he has 2 more years before he's draft-eligible so anything can happen.

I don't expect him to fail at Clemson because A) he's crazy talented, and B) Clemson is so loaded up on athletes at all positions that they're going to be hell to play against for years to come.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
At this point Lawrence is the best QB prospect since Luck IMO. However, he has 2 more years before he's draft-eligible so anything can happen.

I don't expect him to fail at Clemson because A) he's crazy talented, and B) Clemson is so loaded up on athletes at all positions that they're going to be hell to play against for years to come.

They also will have easy schedules. I'd be shocked if they missed the playoffs. Playing time is good but is having a superior team good for development?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
So is every other team if one of those players is a quarterback. Who is their quarterback next year?

Could still be Smith. But that's very up in the air. If not it could be a guy who is playing Madden at home today as Johnson was before contacted. As long as Snyder runs the team they won't draft a serious QB unless they have to. He's always trying to win now, which is why they are so bad usually.

In a lot of cases it is the lack of a QB but look at the Raiders. I don't believe Carr is the problem or that bad. Two years ago they were a legit contender til he broke his thumb or pinky or whatever it was.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Actually the problem with Miami is they've never fully 100% committed to a tank.

Even their really ugly years (2007) they went in with expectations of being an alright team. Even after a 1-15 year they didn't tank because Sporano magically turned them into a playoff team the next year. Same **** happened in the Suck for Luck saga. They canned Sporano and inexplicably won like 6 of their last 8 games, completely torpedoing any hope they had at getting him. Then after that it was a constant cycle of mediocre 6 to 8 win seasons, sign big free agent to patch hole, repeat process eternally.

The one plus side about the Gase debacle is now they're actually setting themselves up to be a doormat for once.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Actually the problem with Miami is they've never fully 100% committed to a tank.

Even their really ugly years (2007) they went in with expectations of being an alright team. Even after a 1-15 year they didn't tank because Sporano magically turned them into a playoff team the next year. Same **** happened in the Suck for Luck saga. They canned Sporano and inexplicably won like 6 of their last 8 games, completely torpedoing any hope they had at getting him. Then after that it was a constant cycle of mediocre 6 to 8 win seasons, sign big free agent to patch hole, repeat process eternally.

The one plus side about the Gase debacle is now they're actually setting themselves up to be a doormat for once.

Them and Buffalo have done the same thing, ironic about the statuses of no playoff wins this century. The Jets have flat out sucked but never perfected the tank for anything. They had to give up a lot to "get their guy" too. This is part of why NE has dominated. Nobody embraced the sucking to do anyrhing about it. They just liked being average.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I didn't intend to find this article, I stumbled across it. My vote is Arizona after hiring Klingsbury. If you look at these recent NFC West hires these guys look like the new BRAT pack. He has no coaching experience in the NFL. His college team stunk. Your job as a head coach is to teach your coaches so they can better do their job. I've heard stories like when Baker Mayfield got hurt he basically ignored him then while he was still around. Hes not a team guy, he may have worked as a QB coach.

If Smith can't come back Washington is a good second choice.

Miami may be a wildcard. NE after Brady will likely go back to what they were. Cowherd loves them and yesterday crapped on McDaniels for wanting to be the heir apparent.

With the Browns improving, who might be the NFL's new doormat?
Brady has been able to cover up for a lot of mistakes the patriots have made. If they start losing the krafts may go back to meddling again. Without top Coaches/players the Krafts have a spotty record The Krafts Are the Worst Owners in Major League Soccer

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Bro, that’s the MLS. The MLS is irrelevant. Nobody cares.
The point was not about the mls team it was more about how everybody calls the pats the model nfl team and the krafts the best owners in sports even though they picked one of the best quarterbacks of all time late in the draft and have one of the best head coach’s of all time. they can get away with being cheap with other players and having fans drive into a small town in mass with Brady/Bill on the team. No one knows what kind of team they are without them

Last edited:

member 157595

They also will have easy schedules. I'd be shocked if they missed the playoffs. Playing time is good but is having a superior team good for development?

Yeah the ACC does suck, I don't disagree with that.

That said, playing and winning in big games is great for development. There's an extremely high likelihood that Clemson will be playing in multiple conference championships and playoff games in the next few years, and a QB's performance in the biggest of games is what defines their career.

If I were a betting man, Lawrence is the #1 overall pick in the 2021 draft. He's likely to start immediately in the NFL on a very bad team. His experiences at Clemson may not prepare him for that, but if he has the mental makeup to handle that sort of situation his elite physical talent gives him a good chance of being successful.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Brady has been able to cover up for a lot of mistakes the patriots have made. If they start losing the krafts may go back to meddling again. Without top Coaches/players the Krafts have a spotty record The Krafts Are the Worst Owners in Major League Soccer

True, it's funny how Bellichick worked though. In Cleveland he had 5 of 6 losing seasons. Maybe Brady made him successful. It's an interesting thought. I know Cleveland was on the verge of relocation and all of that but it wasn't always in the picture that whole tenure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad