Speculation: Who is the Next Coach of the Leafs?

Who is the Next Coach of the Leafs

• Sheldon Keefe (15 year HoF Career in Toronto)

• Barry Trotz

• Mike Babcock

• Coach Q

• Andrew Brunette

• Interm Coach

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
At this point is there anyone(other than Dubas) who doesn't want Keefe replaced?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Who's the GM? In all seriousness, I'd prefer someone with NHL experience/a track record of some success whenever a change is made.

Trotz-A good option that's less so of one if he truly designs to be a GM (we'd still need a coach; don't like the idea of dual portfolio)
Babcock-Not big on sequels within the coaching/management ranks
Brunette-A decent option
Quenneville-Probably not happening for reasons not related to his on-ice success.
Interim-Don't care for this option when a team is in contender mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
At this point is there anyone(other than Dubas) who doesn't want Keefe replaced?
At this point I’d rather them both replaced.
Especially since one name on the list can start as coach and transition to GM.

If not, I don’t really care and will just wait for the hammer to fall on both if success isn’t in their future.

Who needs a coaching change if the same issues around it remain.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
A part of me really wants to see the look in the locker room (provided Mitch is still here) as Babcock's grin enters.

Pragmatically, I think the best candidate that's had success, is no-nonsense, but strikes the perfect balance of tactician, disciplinarian and player's coach, is Barry Trotz.

Wouldn't say no to Joel Q. either.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The intentions of this thread don't sound sincere just based on whats written after Keefe and Babcock being an option. However will answer anyways. Q would be my guy if he didn't have off ice drama. Good balance of tactician, and team fit

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Spencer Carberry or Greg Moore. If Dubas is let go, Hardy will take over as GM, I think. Unless Shannahan completely cleans house.

I agree, I think it’s going to be Hardy or Laurence Gilman as GM if Dubas is fired in season. So those options seem about right

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Depends who gets to pick. The great thing about the hiring of Keefe is that Dubas was so sure he was the guy he didn't bother to look at other options, so I don't really have much faith in him conducting a proper coach search on his first try

Reactions: capfit9

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I don't want Keefe replaced.

The leadership core has no accountability and its been like this for a while. Tavares Matthews Marner Rielly need to come correct, and they haven't. I haven't seen their give a shit meter rise enough.

Nothing wrong with Keefe pulling strings early, especially trying to do things differently when this team is failing to evolve into a better team.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
While Michel Therrien would be entertaining for a repeat of this speech

I would suggest Claude Julien as a possibility. Has to be a vet coach

Reactions: TorMapleJays

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If they fire Keefe, they are just ignoring the actual problem. If Dubas won't fix the construction, find someone who will. I say that as a Dubas supporter but this core can't get it done

Quenneville is the best option but Dubas would never do that. :laugh:

Changing the coach is not a solution. It's a temporary fix. The core has shown what it is by now and at some point, you have to put the blame on the players.
The blame on Keefe is misguided. They are already said it's Babcock's fault and they were right, but you can't blame Keefe the coach they wanted. Time to look at players and GM if he won't fix it

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Lol Babcock. It would be pretty funny if they brought him back, they’re still paying him for this year after all. Don’t even tell the players, just have them show up to practice and he’s there.

I doubt the replacement is found on this list.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Who's the GM? In all seriousness, I'd prefer someone with NHL experience/a track record of some success whenever a change is made.

Trotz-A good option that's less so of one if he truly designs to be a GM (we'd still need a coach; don't like the idea of dual portfolio)
Babcock-Not big on sequels within the coaching/management ranks
Brunette-A decent option
Quenneville-Probably not happening for reasons not related to his on-ice success.
Interim-Don't care for this option when a team is in contender mode.

I'm ok with someone like Trotz deciding on which players to target but someone else should be building up the actual liquid value for acquiring those players and running the program. A coach + GM role would end up losing value going after "his guys" unless someone makes a pipeline/cap framework for him to work in.

Reactions: Buds17

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The season will get easy in a week or so and the Leafs will be fine until the playoffs. Which is good, because if they were to let Dubas make any drastic changes it could derail the whole thing and the window to win could never open.

The new GM will hire the new coach and I don’t think Trotz will be available

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Whoever the next GM is, will tip their hand to who the next coach is.
Dubas will have no problem tanking this season and/or his job before he would fire his boy Keefe.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad