Player Discussion: Who is the New York Islanders #13 prospect?

Who is the New York Islanders #13 prospect?

• Total voters

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Vote and/or discuss. Added Arnaud Durandeau. Suggest 1 player to add to next poll (no Dal Colle or Ho Sang). We'll go up to the top-15

Results

1. Noah Dobson
2. Ilya Sorokin
3. Oliver Wahlstrom
4. Bode Wilde
5. Kieffer Bellows
6. Otto Koivula
7. Sebastian Aho
8. Simon Holmstrom
9. Ruslan Iskhakov
10. Samuel Bolduc
11. Linus Soderstrom
12. Jakub Skarek

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Both Wotherspoon and Vande Sompel are better than 5 of the prospects already picked. This is embarrassing.

Reactions: SI

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Maybe in the here and now...

But likely not when it comes to the question "Will this prospect one day be an NHL player?".

No, I think Wotherspoon and Vande Sompel have more NHL potential than Skarek, Soderstrom, Iskhakov, and Bellows. I know very little about Bolduc.

Wotherspoon, in particular, I believe is nearly NHL ready & will have a long NHL career. He's what a modern defensive defensman should be - mobile, smart in his own end, gets in the passing/shooting lanes, is big enough, and makes the simple play. Every team needs at least 1-2 of those kind of players.

Reactions: Bronson

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
No, I think Wotherspoon and Vande Sompel have more NHL potential than Skarek, Soderstrom, Iskhakov, and Bellows. I know very little about Bolduc.

Wotherspoon, in particular, I believe is nearly NHL ready & will have a long NHL career. He's what a modern defensive defensman should be - mobile, smart in his own end, gets in the passing/shooting lanes, is big enough, and makes the simple play. Every team needs at least 1-2 of those kind of players.

Well, I sure hope you're right, because that'd be FANTASTIC!

As of right now, I'd say the left side of the Islanders' depth is currently seen as no less than the following:
- Leddy
- Toews
- Pelech
- Hickey
- Aho

After that, you've got Wotherspoon and Vande Sompel.

And judging by where they've been drafted in recent years, I'd say the organization has designs on Salo and Bolduc. Furthermore, even if Wotherspoon could be placed on the right side, there's already Pulock, Boychuk, Mayfield, Dobson, Wilde, and Hutton there as natural righty-shooting right side Dmen.

Sooooo, if Wotherspoon is all that, he's got his work cut out for him to break through in this organization. I guess the same can be said for Vande Sompel. Without trades being made, I don't see much room for them to become a part of things here.

Last edited:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Sooooo, if Wotherspoon is all that, he's got his work cut out for him to break through in this organization. I guess the same can be said for Vande Sompel. Without trades being made, I don't see much room for them to become a part of things here.

That was a long post based upon the silly premise that prospect ranking depends on the depth in the organization ahead of them.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

I have to agree with Dano here - Soderstrom hasn't played a game in almost 2 seasons.
I think Bolduc and Ishakov with their promise are fine where they are but, Wotherspoon and Vande Sompel (who plays a lot on the RH side) should be 11 and 12.

I would make a case for the next two players to fill out the top 15 should be Hutton and Salo ahead of the next crop of F prospects - Jenkins, Jobst, Cockerill, and Pivonka.

You can make a case for Skarek to be in the top 15.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Hutton. he signed max. ELC ($925,000), highest on the team, so i think they value him quite a bit. Aho signed for $770,000. doesn't tell the entire story, but...

add Pivonka

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
MVS looks closest to NHL ready from what I've seen but he's probably near his ceiling and will never become an NHL regular.
I think Hutton has more potential than MVS and Wotherspoon. Size matters, in case you didn't know. (Except for Loïc Leduc).

On a less serious note, let's add Corey Trivino, Aaron Ness, Jason Clark, Taylor Cammarata. Coming soon to this list: Robin Salo.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
MVS looks closest to NHL ready from what I've seen but he's probably near his ceiling and will never become an NHL regular.
I think Hutton has more potential than MVS and Wotherspoon. Size matters, in case you didn't know. (Except for Loïc Leduc).

Vande Sompel is 22. Wotherspoon turns 22 in 2 weeks. Hutton is 24.

I mean, come on. These arguments are terrible.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

All 3 players can be NHL players - they will take similar paths to the NHL that Mayfield had to take.

Hutton is an exciting one for sure and could skyrocket up the list before you know it

Reactions: dood

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Let's just bookmark our disagreement and move on.

I'm interested to see what Ishakov does but he's also not making it. As has been stated by others, he's really small and lacks "elite" skills. (There's that word again).

Just to stir up some controversy, I'd say the Isles current NHL players only have 2 guys with truly elite skills.
Barzal for his edgework
Leddy for his speed (If only he knew what to do with it once he entered the offensive zone).
I have to believe that someone will overpay for Leddy's flash. Lou should be patient on that.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

On a less serious note, let's add Corey Trivino, Aaron Ness, Jason Clark, Taylor Cammarata. Coming soon to this list: Robin Salo.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I'm gonna hold you to this one!

Reactions: dood

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hutton. he signed max. ELC ($925,000), highest on the team, so i think they value him quite a bit. Aho signed for $770,000. doesn't tell the entire story, but...

He's got me real curious, but mainly because of how quickly he made an impact going straight from college to the AHL game.

Didn't see that coming. A righty shot and that size are real nice as well.

Ever since seeing that, I've had to wonder if Lou really is just waiting for the right time to move Mayfield, full knowing what we've got coming in Dobson, Wilde, and now Hutton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad