Who is the most athletic player in the NHL?

Jerk Store*

K5iSJI4.jpg

We have a winner. Surprised it took this long. Quick, AINEC.

Jerk Store*

And there's a ton of people out there, including many in the NHL that can do what Patches was doing in his videos...one video doesn't simply make a guy the most athletic...

A guy like Paul Martin, who had many division 1 scholarships to play WR in college football is probably more of an athlete then both of them.

You're right, it doesn't. Being obsessed with one team only and not paying attention to activity around the league would lead to such silly answers.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Subban and Letang. Both dudes have made a pretty good living for themselves, mostly due to athleticism.

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
I know from the islanders Anders Lee and Cizikas played a slew of sports.

In fact Anders Lee only got his scholarship to Notre Dame because he was an award winning Qb in hs... also played lacrosse i think, plus the kid is built like a tank. Didnt know you could move that quick with all that muscle.

PSUPEN

Apr 1, 2013
It really depends on what your definition of athleticism is.

A short list of example
Speed
Power
Quickness
Reactive Qualities
Decision Making
Skill…etc.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
lol... Uneducated on the subject dude.

Standing jumpbox world record is 59 inches...

Vertical leap while running, and standing jump box, two very very different thing. Its like comparing a hockey goaler to a shooting guard.

57' jump box is extremely hard and I doubt that "many" NHLer can do it like someone else said earlier.

Its all cool that he can jump while running and clearing with his feet like that, it take flexibility, not much about power tho. Vertical leap can be measured when u jump while running with leg straight. There is a dozen+ of basketball player who have a 40+ vertical leap jump.

Good points...but let's not get carried away...that's not just converting forward speed and energy to height

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Selänne had great speed even in his 40s. That's quite remarkable imo, most hockey players start to slow down after 35 years, some even earlier. I remember reading that he was a competitive sprinter in his youth too. I think he still holds some local youth record in short distance running.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Selänne had great speed even in his 40s. That's quite remarkable imo, most hockey players start to slow down after 35 years, some even earlier. I remember reading that he was a competitive sprinter in his youth too. I think he still holds some local youth record in short distance running.

He did run when he was 10 years old. 60 meters record was 8,8.

MilanKraft*

I wonder if you really believe this, and if you really do, if you've ever played hockey.

I wonder if you know what the word athletic means...
Comes from athletics....Olympics.
Run and jump

None which hockey players do or are good at.

Noting to do with endurance, skating, toughness, Vo max, etc.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
It really depends on what your definition of athleticism is.

A short list of example
Speed
Power
Quickness
Reactive Qualities
Decision Making
Skill…etc.

The definition of athletesism on HFBoards for most people here is about being ripped, just like the last thread that was here about a month ago. Realy tried to argue with people but wasnt realy any point.
Abs = Athletesism, just go with it...

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Run and jump

Wow I thought you were joking! I'm not even going to bother explaining things to you because you clearly won't understand.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I know a few professional trainers who work with a few pro teams and they all say Pacioretty is one of the best overall athletes they have ever seen... And they have worked with multiple pro hockey, soccer and football players. He is apparently a complete fitness freak who spends all his time in the gym and is extremely disciplined.

I saw him out at a burger joint with Subban and Eller during the offseason. Subban and Eller were eating huge burgers and fries, and Pacioretty was having a bowl of steamed broccoli (that be brought himself) and a burger patty, no bread, with water. He's very strict with his diet and exercise.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
E. Kane is very athletic. Quick and powerful. His coach (Maurice), who is a known demon for fitness raves about Kane's ability to recover quickly from extreme exertion.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Run and jump

I have no idea why I'm involving myself in this discussion deeper than sharing the "Kreider jumping out of a pool" video which is just ridiculous, but here goes.

There is an actual definition for "athletic". Like, you can go to a dictionary and look it up. It's pretty easy. Simplified, the word means "having the characteristics of an athlete", similar to what you said, but by no means excluding the characteristics at the end of your post, especially endurance.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Hockey players are unathletic that's why play hockey.
Otherwise they'd do football/basketball/track.

Totally! The NHL is full of guys who concluded at just 6 years old they simply weren't athletic enough to do anything else so they settled on hockey and forever gave up on a track or football career... Two sports that on average are less lucrative than hockey.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Karlsson deserves a vote as well. The guy never seems to get tired. Speaks more to his endurance I guess but he can still flash explosive ability even with an Achiles less than 100%

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Ovi would be my guess. How he's avoided injuries playing the way he does at his size is unreal.

Stamkos seems pretty gifted too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes