Who is the Leafs Smartest Player?

TheThrill81*

Jonathan Bernier. Coincidentally, he's also the best player on this team as well, so it's not really a surprise. I didn't vote, because they aren't any stand out skaters in terms of hockey I.Q on this club as of right now.

It's definitely a surprise because he's not the best player on the team. So there's that.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Voted Clarkson because he was able to gyp management out of millions.

Kessel should win this poll as he knows the offensive zone like the back of his hand. I can also see JVR and Rielly getting some mentions.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Bozak, by a mile. He's not gifted physically, and he still managed 0.84 points per game last season (and improving!). Also our most underrated player.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Bozak. I honestly think he has one of the higher IQ's in the NHL. Fantastic at reading plays, always in the right spot (just has finishing issues).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bernier. Top flight goalies can read plays developing better than anyone else on the ice. It's why his positioning is always excellent.

Too bad he never played pool, it would help him with angles off the boards.

Staying awake would cut down on those "what the heck was that" goals against.

He had some pretty thick moments this year!

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Kessel. His offensive prowess is top notch. Defensively he is alright if he feels like back checking.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
that awkward moment when you realize the leafs really don't have much in the way of high IQ players.

Kessels hockey IQ is definitely up there but Rielly is a very cerebral player, so excited to watch him develop.

lol, my first reaction when I saw this thread!

hockeyfanz*

Voted Clarkson because he was able to gyp management out of millions.

Kessel should win this poll as he knows the offensive zone like the back of his hand. I can also see JVR and Rielly getting some mentions.

This along with another poster who picked Bolland because he was smart enough to jump ship are my faves :) LOL.

Its a good question though and at the root of the problems that hound the Leafs....dumb hockey players. Kessel seems to me to have some hockey smarts although he isn't anything special when it comes to IQ...the best of a bunch of dumb hockey players.

Phaneuf to me seems like probably one of the players at the other end of the spectrum.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Bozak, AINEC.

He was smart enough to become the best friend of the best player on the team. It has earned him tons of ice-time, and several millions of dollars more than he should probably have.

Borderline genius.

TheThrill81*

Bozak, AINEC.

He was smart enough to become the best friend of the best player on the team. It has earned him tons of ice-time, and several millions of dollars more than he should probably have.

Borderline genius.

How much do you think he should be earning? Keep in mind his actual earnings will be 17.5 mil total (excluding bonuses) for the next 4 seasons.

Kyle Doobas*

Bozak, AINEC.

Borderline genius.
Kessel said last year that his bromance with Bozak is hilariously overblown and that Clarke MacArthur was probably his best friend on the team, and IIRC mentioned Franson as a close friend as well.

Didn't seem to help them any. :sarcasm:

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
I was gonna go with Phaneuf but after further thought I choose Kessel.

Only a genius-savant could make a career based purely on supreme offensive ability while completely shirking all defensive responsibilities as a player. The way he cleverly avoids contact, blocking shots, forechecking and cycling is something of a marvel to watch.

:handclap:

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
How much do you think he should be earning? Keep in mind his actual earnings will be 17.5 mil total (excluding bonuses) for the next 4 seasons.

If he didn't have inflated point totals from playing with Kessel, there's no telling how little he could be making. I'd say somewhere between $2-$3 million per season, as a 3rd line center.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Kessel pretty easily, and I have no idea how anyone could figure it would be anyone else. The guy always knows what to do with the puck, especially in the offensive zone. The way he can read the opposing teams D is pretty great actually, definitely one of the better players in the NHL at doing it.

cujoflutie

I know there is some jest in this reply, but it would not surprise me if Clarkson is one of the Leafs better coaching prospects after he is retired.

I get why people slag Clarkson but Clarkson the man is a very easy guy to like. He's easily the most charitable player on the team. I could see him do something like coach disabled players or something of that nature.

Also people forget that he was given up on in the OHL and not even drafted in the NHL and still made it; you don't do that on skills alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad