Who is the last big-name actor you'd expect to see in a Marvel movie?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
5 years ago I never would have expected to see Cate Blanchett, Michael Keaton or Jake Gyllenhaal in a Marvel movie. Who is the last big-name actor that you'd expect to see in an upcoming Marvel movie?

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
George Clooney once said that he takes parts/jobs for the money (that he may or may not like) and that gives him the freedom to take the parts he enjoys (not for the money).

I think most actors would take a big money Marvel gig. Doesn't mean they would take it seriously, but it would pay the bills for their family and give them the freedom to take other parts they like later.

There might be a small number of A-listers (already rich beyond their dreams) who might not take a Marvel role, if they thought it did not fit them. Perhaps someone eccentric like Daniel Day-Lewis might turn any Marvel part down but he's almost retired and already accepts almost nothing new anyway.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I wouldn't have thought Joaquin Phoenix would have agreed to be part of a superhero related film, so who knows? I guess Heath Ledger (and to a lesser extent, Brandon Lee) gave some panache to this kind of role that could attract more artsy actors.

I still doubt Vincent Gallo would touch that, but he would make an amazing villain.

5c92e4cc220000c5001b5854.jpeg

Edit: oh, the last one I'd expect to see in a Marvel film? Woody Allen! :laugh:

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think one could draw up a definitive list of actors that would snub Marvel. I think most would do it for a lark; especially for the payout.

From all accounts, the actors in Marvel projects seem to enjoy working on these together. Not many productions can afford all the high-priced talent on one set. I think most enjoy the experience or chance of working together. These aren't Academy Award performances, they can set their artistic egos aside for a period and enjoy the ride.

We are even seeing changes in movie actors snubbing tv roles lately. More are willing to accept a tv role (Merryl Streep the latest) and more are going Netflix. There are no small roles. You lose out by being high-brow.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I love Will Smith as an actor, but can't see him in the Marvel universe.

I can see Will Smith joining for the right role. He's not above superhero roles, with two different characters under his belt. He has a relationship with Disney, as Aladdin has given him one of his biggest hits.

The MCU is diverse enough in the type of movies it puts out that its hard to really rule anyone out. They're one of the few reliable moneymakers out there, and, they're doing a good job of attracting strong directors. Even the more unlikely candidates could be talked into a cameo role under the right situation.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I would agree with the first two, but why Murphy? I don’t know if there’s anything that would fit him anyway, but just curious why you don’t think he’d do one.

I love Eddie, but he's got a huge ego and might feel the MCU is beneath him (yes, I realize he's done many movies which should have been beneath him).

Last edited:
Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad