Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Bernstein mentioned Dan Bylsma as a possibilty
Makes sense, they already picked up Pittsburgh's sloppy seconds when they hired Buckley.
and it makes even more sense since he was a teammate of Bluc
1715189142547.png

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
To be honest, I don't really care. I mean, sure, if they made an interesting/aggressive coach hire, they might get someone who could actually get results out of this roster, but I am not holding my breath on it. I won't be too invested on the coach until leadership has changed. Nothing short of winning a championship would change my mind at this point. Even if they were to win a first-round next year it would only delay the inevitable.

I could totally see the Kings finally getting someone other than Edmonton and getting to the 2nd round, only to be eliminated by Edmonton or similar again and then Blake and Luc will be there patting themselves on the back and saying "we've made progress" again. f***. Makes me so mad just thinking about it, lol. I can't believe they had the balls to sit down at that presser and say this team was doing better, making progress, and that the Edmonton series was practically a coin flip. f***.

I wish Torts or some meme-worthy coach was available that would just tell the players, the front office, and the media f*** you every day :laugh:
I definitely feel this. But I also really do feel like a change in structure/system could reallllllly benefit this team (trying to be a little optimistic here).

Fiala, Kempe, Moore, Byfield, Spence, and PLD in particular would all likely benefit significantly from a system that is more aggressive/creative and generates more offense. These are skilled players who are actively being handcuffed by the Kings current system. Hell, even Doughty would likely benefit from a more offensive system - I believe he mentioned flat out in his exit interview that the current system makes it really hard for him to be able to jump up on the rush... That's not great to hear from your best offensive defenseman.

Let's inject some exciting, high octane hockey into Los Angeles - I'm tired of watching ex-Kings players see career highs as soon as they go to another team. At this point I don't care if our GAA goes up significantly.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Berube has a career 46.6% win percentage in the playoffs. A lot of fail along with one good run.
Dan Bylsma, on the other hand, has won 55.1% of his playoff games.

Hiller makes a lot of sense. The results during the regular season were quite good. He got the team back to playing good hockey immediately after the break. Problem is that he made all the wrong decisions in the playoffs. The line combos were a real mystery, starting Laferriere on line 1 for example. After the shellacking in game 1, decides not to hold practice or adjust the penalty kill or power play at all. Proceeds to get outscored 9-0 in 5 games on special teams.

From the coaching side, the playoffs are a lot about adjustments. Finding and exploiting weaknesses, playing to your strengths. Hiller failed at all of that and got cleanly out-coached by Knoblauch.

Sturm is the other obvious candidate. When he was brought in 6 seasons ago, it was clear he's on a track for a head coaching position at some point. If he wins the Calder Cup this year, that's the big item on his resume that gets him to the job he's always wanted.

Best guess is Hiller gets a contract for a year, maybe two. If he can't guide this team to a playoff win, it's curtains for everyone. Sturm is choice two, Bylsma could be a dark horse, Woodcroft would be a panic move.

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
We may see a fun audition for the job next week if the Coachella Valley Firebirds face the Ontario Reign in the Pacific Division Finals. Firebirds are currently up 2-1 against the Calgary Wranglers. Coachella Valley finished first in the division by a wide margin.

Bylsma versus Sturm. Winner gets the head coaching job?

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
We may see a fun audition for the job next week if the Coachella Valley Firebirds face the Ontario Reign in the Pacific Division Finals. Firebirds are currently up 2-1 against the Calgary Wranglers. Coachella Valley finished first in the division by a wide margin.

Bylsma versus Sturm. Winner gets the head coaching job?
i actually wouldnt be opposed to Bylsma....hmmmm

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Id like to write in pierre mcguire.
Kings get instant media recognition
Previous head coaching experience
He's kinda french canadian

This guy is a perfect fit with our management team. AND he knows alot of hockey names and backgrounds. Penguins have had him on a short list for positions in thier org for a while.
We need to move quickly on this

• Haha
Reactions: theMajor

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

This guy is a perfect fit with our management team. AND he knows alot of hockey names and backgrounds. Penguins have had him on a short list for positions in thier org for a while.
good lord no

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

and he is creepy AF

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
I’d just run Hiller back out there. Really, what’s the point of getting someone else. I can’t see this group playing any better than they have.

Reactions: chris kontos

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I’d just run Hiller back out there. Really, what’s the point of getting someone else. I can’t see this group playing any better than they have.
Yea really doesnt matter whos behind the bench especially when they are just taking orders from upstairs. So they run a 1-2-2 while down by 2 goals now instead of sticking with the 1-3-1 as the de facto system to use situationally.
Big whoop.
This is the team they are now. Not bad but not great.
They can win a round if they get outstanding goaltending and everyone clicks at the right moment.
But until ownership wants to win bad enough and makes the tough decisions then Bylsma or Hiller will just be a continuation of the last 2 years.
Berube could squeeze a buy in from players on the physical side of the game though and they could use that.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Lol. Pierre McGuire is the full grown adult embodiment of that really nerdy kid we all knew when we were younger. The one that wanted so badly to hang out with the "cool" jocks in middle/high school. But the players only tolerated him because he did their homework and helped them limp through school. The kid you later find out is now rich from running an online betting site, or a founding member of Fangraphs... I kind of love him and his whacky harmless akwardness.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Lol. Pierre McGuire is the full grown adult embodiment of that really nerdy kid we all knew when we were younger. The one that wanted so badly to hang out with the "cool" jocks in middle/high school. But the players only tolerated him because he did their homework and helped them limp through school... I kind of love him and his whacky harmless akwardness.
1715369075241.png

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

Maybe okay as your head of scouting, but not as a head coach.

Reactions: chris kontos

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
My guess is it'll be Hiller.

IMHO it should be a teaching coach whose primary focus is enhancing the long-term growth of the young'uns (like what the Ducks did last year), but: (1) they should've done that 5 years ago; and, (2) this won't happen as long as BLuc's in charge and they're still trying to "win now."

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Let’s be realistic. It doesn’t matter who the coach is. The upside is so low that very little can be done to raise the fortunes of the team.

Exactly, look at these lineups people are posting here, you could make a sequel to Miracle if anybody could guide these names to playoff success.

Todd was not the problem with this team, would I want him as the coach? No, but the problems are with the management and the roster.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Let’s be realistic. It doesn’t matter who the coach is. The upside is so low that very little can be done to raise the fortunes of the team.

i completely disagree, kings were 20-7-4 near the end of december before they completely collapsed in january (.367 win percentange !!). they looked great until they werent , thats what makes me think a good coach can get a LOT more out of this team. they were solid until January then Tmac got canned and hiller salvaged the season

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Kings roster is decent IMO. Not great, just fine. Top 15 in the league.

A handful of shrewd moves could probably make the lineup very good. Like top 10.

But there is virtually nothing that can be done to make it a legit contender right now. Nothing.

TMac actually got a lot out of this team.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
[..]

TMac actually got a lot out of this team.
You have no way to show that. I would say he got jack shit out of the team. I think the roster playing more aggressively and checking like they did in games 4 and 5 all season would be more successful in the reg season and well prepared for the playoffs. Main thing missing was getting traffic in front of the goalie.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Exactly, look at these lineups people are posting here, you could make a sequel to Miracle if anybody could guide these names to playoff success.

Todd was not the problem with this team, would I want him as the coach? No, but the problems are with the management and the roster.
This 100% this ^^^

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad