Who is the Hart front runner?

Hart winner today?

• Total voters

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
We are at roughly the halfway mark of the season so let's talk about rewards.

Really for the Hart it comes down to 2 players

McDavid or Kane... I can't think of any others close to these guys

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'd go with McDavid, but it's pretty close.

I never thought EDM was that good and after seeing my team own that team in a three game set, it is clear that McDavid's performance is crucial to the team's success. Kane is doing a lot for CHI with Dach and Toews out as well.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I'd go with McDavid, but it's pretty close.

I never thought EDM was that good and after seeing my team own that team in a three game set, it is clear that McDavid's performance is crucial to the team's success. Kane is doing a lot for CHI with Dach and Toews out as well.

Toronto owned Edmonton like Vancouver owned Toronto even with AM back in the lineup. Probably the 3 worst games of the season for the Oilers and it clearly doesn't help when your top players don't perform. Edmonton will only go as far as McDrai can take them but they just happen to be 2 of the best players in the game so they can take them pretty far which is evident based on Edmonton's record over the past 1.5+ seasons.

I think McDavid has won more single handed games this season then Kane so I'd homer vote him. I think Vasi is also putting together a ridiculous season.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
McDavid is definitely the front runner. Goals, assists, points, position (C>W), Ice time, GWG- just about every category has McDavid in front.

Kane is having a hell of a year but if the season ended today McDavid should take it in a landslide.

Reactions: Seachd and Mez

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
McDavid has Draisaitl, so it can't be him, like it shouldn't have been Draisaitl last season. League MVP can't be that easily replaced by an equally good player. McDavid could/should win Pearson though.

But in order for Kane to win, the Hawks would have to make the playoffs. As asinine as it is to pick McDavid/Draisaitl for the Hart, it'd be even sillier to pick the best player of a losing team as league MVP.

I think Matthews comes in if the Hawks miss the playoffs. Or maybe a goalie. Goalies are always the MVP's of their teams. About time they win some Hartware.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I have a formula that predicts the Hart trophy winner with 100% accuracy back to 2001. (Damn you, Pronger). As of today, the formula says that McDavid would win.

(That isn't the same thing as me saying that McDavid necessarily deserves to win - just that, based on historical precedent, he probably will. Also, there's no guarantee that the formula will continue to hold true - just because it worked for 20 years, it won't necessarily maintain that streak).

Reactions: eli4spetterss0n

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
McDavid has Draisaitl, so it can't be him, like it shouldn't have been Draisaitl last season. League MVP can't be that easily replaced by an equally good player. McDavid could/should win Pearson though.

But in order for Kane to win, the Hawks would have to make the playoffs. As asinine as it is to pick McDavid/Draisaitl for the Hart, it'd be even sillier to pick the best player of a losing team as league MVP.

I think Matthews comes in if the Hawks miss the playoffs. Or maybe a goalie. Goalies are always the MVP's of their teams. About time they win some Hartware.
This is so unbelievably incredibly stupid.

Because they have a star teammate that automatically takes you out of contention for winning the league's MVP title? Like seriously, I don't think people step back and realize how ridiculous that thinking is. There is no precedent for that line of thought within the NHL or any major sport....because its absurd.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
McDavid, he’s about to go on a serious heater and the points gap will only increase.

He’s playing excellent two way hockey right now driving play at both ends of the ice.

It doesn’t get talked enough about how strong he’s been defensively this year as well.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

This doesn’t even make any sense whatsoever.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Draisaitl can reasonably replace McDavid if he's out, sure, but then no one comes close to replacing Draisaitl. It makes no sense to base MVP on the difference between a player and his next closest teammate, rather than looking at the entire team beyond that player.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
McDavid by a hair. Matthews a week ago would have been right with these two but he’s missed time and cooled down since then. McDavid is now out pacing him by 25 points per 82 games and as much as Matthews goal numbers are really impressive that gap in overall points is too much.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
McDavid by a hair. Matthews a week ago would have been right with these two but he’s missed time and cooled down since then. McDavid is now out pacing him by 25 points per 82 games and as much as Matthews goal numbers are really impressive that gap in overall points is too much.
And McDavid is only 3 goals behind Matthews now. Albeit in more games, still, McDavid could possibly win the rocket this year.

Reactions: Paul4587

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
In terms of frontrunners, I'll be honest and say probably McDavid

I think there are more possible options here for sleepers, even if thats a bit unrelated to this. Vasy and Matthews come to mind. Pasta could continue to gain ground, though because of his prior injury he cannot afford a single slump. DeBrincat won't get votes over Kane but is definitely performing at a high level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad