Who is the Greatest Buffalo Sabre All-Time Whose Last Name Started with "W"?

Who is the Greatest Buffalo Sabre All-Time Whose Last Name Started with "W"?

• Jim Watson (1970 - 1972)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jay Wells (1989 - 1992)

• Randy Wyrozub (1970 - 1974)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
This is the last poll - there has never been a Sabre whose last name started with an X or Y and Alexei Zhitnik is the only Z to qualify (and he's one of my favorite Sabres of all time so that's fine).

I'm asking who is the best Sabre all-time whose last name started with the letter "W"? This is for their time with the Sabres, and I'm arbitrarily selecting a 75 game minimum as a Sabre.

Remember, this is all-time and includes every season since the beginning of the franchise - not just the recent ones.

Of course, I'll run through the rest of the alphabet up until the regular season starts.

Results so far:

A: Dave Andreychuk 91.2%
B: Danny Briere 73.1%
C: Brian Campbell 50.6%
D: Rasmus Dahlin 66.3%
E: Jack Eichel 48.1%
F: Mike Foligno 93.2%
G: Danny Gare 94.5%
H: Dominik Hasek 95.3%
I: No one qualified
J: Calle Johansson 51.3% (Honorable Mention - Rick Jeanneret)
K: Jerry Korab 71.9%
L: Pat LaFontaine 80.0%
M: Rick Martin 48.2%
N: Teppo Numminen 100.0%
O: Kyle Okposo 55.7%
P: Gilbert Perreault 98.5%
Q: Jack Quinn by default
R: Rene Robert 27.5%
S: Jim Schoenfeld 68.8%
T: Pierre Turgeon 60.7%
U: Linus Ullmark by default
V: Thomas Vanek 98.8%

Let the voting begin!

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Oh sweet jeebus this is a wretched letter.

Remember how with some letters there was no wrong answer?

There's no RIGHT answer with this one.

Gonna go with the underrated Weber......but I'm not happy about it.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Rhett Warrener is definitely my pick. He was just a fantastic addition to the Finals team. He played with a dirty edge - I remember a slight hook on Brett Hull during a faceoff when it was known that Hull was dealing with groin issues.

He also was traded for Mike Wilson, which meant that I never had to watch Wilson in a Sabres jersey again.

Wooley is a close second. Mike Wilson is dead last.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Seconded, Dixon Ward was always one of my favorite Sabres from that era. He's my pick.
I remember Robitaille on Hockey Hotline. Ward had a bad game, and Robitaille was ripping into him, saying that Ward's only success was clinging on and riding Peca's success like Amtrak. Good times, good times.

Mike Wilson, straight violence in his game
In the same way that Oedipus used violence to gouge his own eyes out?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I remember Robitaille on Hockey Hotline. Ward had a bad game, and Robitaille was ripping into him, saying that Ward's only success was clinging on and riding Peca's success like Amtrak. Good times, good times.
Mike Robitaille probably yells at squirrels and small children too.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Went with Ward because of the the W-P-V line....but very close call with Woolley and Warrener.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Wooley during the cup finals playoff run was stellar. I also was at a game where he got into a fight, believe it or not.

But I went with Rhett. He was a great physical blueliner, and some of the stories I've heard in the past few years make him sound like an excellent locker room guy. The prototype for Samuelsson.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
2A - Ward - Peca - Varada was a third line that put in so much effort per game that they managed 1st line production. I remember RJ calling Dixon "chicklets" because he kept losing teeth.

2B - Woolley. He was a great 3rd pairing offensive defenseman. But still, really better suited for 3rd pairing, which makes it hard to be the best W.

1 - Rhett Warrener - Caught a lot of those games on the radio those days and you always knew what was happening when RJ was yelling "Warrener in the corner!" Warrenner and McKee were the vicious, physical, defensive pairing every team feared when playing us. They were as essential to those playoff years and the cup run as any other part of the team. Would love a pair like that on todays team. The corners would be littered with broken forward bones and the blue paint would be cleared of all but blood drops and teeth.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I'm going for Woolley based primarily on his 1999 playoff performance -- 15 pts in 21 games. Also, his 43 point season -- as a defenseman -- is about the same as Dixon's best seasons.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
No votes for "Dumbo"? A lot of heart but a lot of mistakes with a young team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Woolley and Warrener in a neck-and-neck race for me. I went with Rhett by a hair but that could change on a different day. Both were vital to the Hasek teams' success in the late '90's.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Thank you to @Dingo44 for all of the research and work he put into these polls, it was certainly a nice trip down memory lane, even for a more recent fan (circa co-captains era) like myself. I'm sure the older fans had a lot more memories and reminiscence from the votes.
Beautiful lists of lineups, oh yeah he played for the Sabres candidates, troll votes galore.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Thank you to @Dingo44 for all of the research and work he put into these polls, it was certainly a nice trip down memory lane, even for a more recent fan (circa co-captains era) like myself. I'm sure the older fans had a lot more memories and reminiscence from the votes.
Beautiful lists of lineups, oh yeah he played for the Sabres candidates, troll votes galore.

Thank you! It was fun to do and I like the debates between Sabre fans that aren't the same few arguments. I had a blast seeing all those old names and only regret some of the guys who didn't play enough to make the lists.

I'll try to come up with something new and also there are a few second place polls worth doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad