Who is the Greatest Buffalo Sabre All-Time Whose Last Name Started with "V"?

Who is the Greatest Buffalo Sabre All-Time Whose Last Name Started with "V"?

• Rick Vaive (1988 - 1992)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Van Boxmeer (1979 - 1983)

• Hannu Virta (1981 - 1986)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm asking who is the best Sabre all-time whose last name started with the letter "V"? This is for their time with the Sabres, and I'm arbitrarily selecting a 75 game minimum as a Sabre.

Remember, this is all-time and includes every season since the beginning of the franchise - not just the recent ones.

Of course, I'll run through the rest of the alphabet up until the regular season starts.

Results so far:

A: Dave Andreychuk 91.2%
B: Danny Briere 73.1%
C: Brian Campbell 50.6%
D: Rasmus Dahlin 66.3%
E: Jack Eichel 48.1%
F: Mike Foligno 93.2%
G: Danny Gare 94.5%
H: Dominik Hasek 95.3%
I: No one qualified
J: Calle Johansson 51.3% (Honorable Mention - Rick Jeanneret)
K: Jerry Korab 71.9%
L: Pat LaFontaine 80.0%
M: Rick Martin 48.2%
N: Teppo Numminen 100.0%
O: Kyle Okposo 55.7%
P: Gilbert Perreault 98.5%
Q: Jack Quinn by default
R: Rene Robert 27.5%
S: Jim Schoenfeld 68.8%
T: Pierre Turgeon 60.7%
U: Linus Ullmark by default

Let the voting begin!

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Vanek is the correct answer but this was a much stronger letter than I anticipated. Van Boxmeer deserves some love, too - and he came back as a coach for the Amerks.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Vanek deserved a better team around him after the Drury/Briere debacle. He could have been a Sabres legend.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Vanek deserved a better team around him after the Drury/Briere debacle. He could have been a Sabres legend.
Ehh, his signing of the offer sheet pretty much nixed any chance of that (whilst being a nail in the coffin of the post lockout Sabres). I don’t begrudge him for taking the deal, but it is the behavior of someone who wants to maximize earnings, not contribute to building a contender by taking a 10% cut.

Again, I would argue that most players should absolutely maximize earnings, but they don’t “deserve” to be on competitive teams.

How can you go against Varada tho?
Loved me some Ward-Peca-Varada.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Ehh, his signing of the offer sheet pretty much nixed any chance of that (whilst being a nail in the coffin of the post lockout Sabres). I don’t begrudge him for taking the deal, but it is the behavior of someone who wants to maximize earnings, not contribute to building a contender by taking a 10% cut.

Again, I would argue that most players should absolutely maximize earnings, but they don’t “deserve” to be on competitive teams.

Loved me some Ward-Peca-Varada.
Years ago (early 2000s) my buddy got a Chex Bubble hockey game for his house...he custom painted all the players...one team was the old school blue and gold Uniforms (French Connection) while the other team sported the black and red goatheads...The forward line for the goatheads was Ward-Peca-Varada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad