Who is the Greatest Buffalo Sabre All-Time Whose Last Name Started with "E"?

Who is the Greatest Buffalo Sabre All-Time Whose Last Name Started with "E"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm asking who is the best Sabre all-time whose last name started with the letter "E"? This is for their time with the Sabres, and I'm arbitrarily selecting a 75 game minimum as a Sabre.

Of course, I'll run through the rest of the alphabet up until the regular season starts.

Results so far:

A: Dave Andreychuk 91.2%
B: Danny Briere 73.1%
C: Brian Campbell 50.6%
D: Rasmus Dahlin 66.3%

Let the voting begin!

Last edited:

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Eichel scored a lot of points.

Eichel also was immature, causing turmoil and turnover in the locker room. He empowered his "friends" who created even more turmoil.

Eichel's pluses and minuses helped win some games in his time here but were instrumental in also extending the losing mentality and issues within the organization.

Edwards FTW.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's Eichel. Yeah, he was an immature dickhole who probably didn't want to be here. But he is/was still immensely talented.

Edwards was a very solid goalie for us for a number of years.

Eichel had a couple of elite seasons/parts of seasons with us.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The circumstances by which Edwards and Sauve joined the NHL after the Jerry Desjardins eye injury and the Al Smith "thank you, but I'll see you later" salute to the Knoxes in the stands are stuff of true Sabres history. Edwards was a legit Calder candidate.

Eichel is/was a poor leader, and an overall negative influence on the team. Counting stats don't make up for all of that in my book.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Don Edwards and it wasn't that close for me. He actually won a league award when he played with the Sabres - just like Barrasso. And he was my favorite Sabre when I started to become a real fan. Still love that guy.

1695752726046.png

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
1 Vezina, received Hart votes in three different seasons. Edwards might suffer from the Sabres having world class goaltending through the 90s and 00s. He’s kind of a forgotten player, but 5 of his 6 seasons with the Sabres were world class.

Eichel also played six with the Sabres but was never once as individually as good in any one season as Edwards was at his peak.

If you were to rank their best seasons between them you’d have one Eichel (19-20) and 4 from Edwards (not in that order… but even if you did. Edwards was a better player and a better Sabre.)

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Edwards by a mile in terms of greatest Sabre starting with E.

Eichel was talented for sure, but many of the above posts say it better than I could. Immature, me first, no respect for the the team, nor respect for the the history, the locker room, the leadership in place, cliquey, self centered, petulant, pouty, moody, party guy jackass.

I hadn't given any thought to other Es in Sabres history and I am glad that Edwards is there to represent the best of Sabres Hockey

308 Games - 156 Wins, 83 losses, 61 Ties

I'll take that any day over what Eichel did for Buffalo Sabres hockey.

Edit - Edwards was also part of Sabres lore in what was a memorable first game. He was brought up to Buffalo from Hershey of the AHL and was named starter for that night's game, leading to veteran Al Smith - after the anthems - jumping on to the ice, waving good bye to the Knox brothers, skating off the ice, heading to the locker room and leaving the Aud. Classic.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
It's Eichel, despite how it all ended. Edwards is certainly close and an acceptable answer, but it's Eichel.

Reactions: Zman5778

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Don Edwards. Third on our goalie list, Vezina winner.

I read a cool story just researching him (he’s pre my time as a fan).

“I got to the locker room at about 5 p.m. for the game. We all went out on the ice and Al Smith [Sabres Goalie] took all of the warm-ups. Then I was sitting next to him in the locker room right before game time and said 'Good luck tonight.' He looked at me and said 'You don't know you're playing?'"

"That sort of ended the conversation right there. I was dumbfounded. So they play the anthem and when it ends Al hops off the bench, skates about five strides and says 'See you, Seymour' to Sabres owner Seymour Knox in the crowd. Then he skates off the ice. Also referred to by Sabre fans as "Sayonara" So it's my first game in the NHL and I was the only goalie in uniform."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad