Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #7 prospect?

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
You should really just make Lack #7 and proceed straight to 8 where it will start to get interesting.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
If Jordan Subban goes in the top 10 then I will lose the little faith I had in the average poster here on HF boards.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Agree that Lack shouldn't be considered a prospect anymore...and also don't see why someone would vote for him over Eriksson. Missing an entire season with a hip issue certainly raises concerns, and not sure there's much to separate Lack from Eriksson or Cannata (or probably a couple dozen other similar-aged goalie prospects) as far as ceiling goes.

Voted for Mallet. Size, toughness and maybe some offensive potential.

How do Hutton and Tomerness compare as prospects?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
to me, #7 is a tossup between hutton, mallet and blomstrand. goalies just aren't 'good prospects' to me - look at the return we got for an elite, first round pick that developed in ideal conditions, signed to a good contract

if you wanna rank them, eriksson > lack > cannata, but they shouldn't rank until past the 10s. they just arent that valuable.

hutton over tommernes because hutton's deficiencies are pretty much unknown, and over mcnally because mcnally, at this point, might not be a real person. "patrick mcnally" indeed.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Agree that Lack shouldn't be considered a prospect anymore...and also don't see why someone would vote for him over Eriksson. Missing an entire season with a hip issue certainly raises concerns, and not sure there's much to separate Lack from Eriksson or Cannata (or probably a couple dozen other similar-aged goalie prospects) as far as ceiling goes.

Voted for Mallet. Size, toughness and maybe some offensive potential.

How do Hutton and Tomerness compare as prospects?

For me it's about his ceiling. From my viewings, and everything I've read, I think Lack is an extremely naturally-talented goaltender, with good technique. He also has the calmness, coolness and character to be a starter in the NHL and deal with the pressure. He's one of the most talented goaltending prospects in the world. IMO it's all a matter of how he rebounds from injury.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
For me it's about his ceiling. From my viewings, and everything I've read, I think Lack is an extremely naturally-talented goaltender, with good technique. He also has the calmness, coolness and character to be a starter in the NHL and deal with the pressure. He's one of the most talented goaltending prospects in the world. IMO it's all a matter of how he rebounds from injury.

goaltending is pretty much magic though, and predicting it is essentially divination. it's like networking - yes, there are people who can explain everything, and yes they think they understand it, but when something goes wrong, nobody can fix it.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
goaltending is pretty much magic though, and predicting it is essentially divination. it's like networking - yes, there are people who can explain everything, and yes they think they understand it, but when something goes wrong, nobody can fix it.

Is that as in computer networking? I know nothing about that unfortunately. However, I agree that Goalie is a really, really weird and unpredictable position. But all you can do is work with what you know... I don't know if it's like magic, or perhaps more like aiming for a bullseye with a dart - you probably won't hit it, and your odds are really poor, but you're still going to give it your best effort and come as close as you can.

Scouts have some criteria to go by, and that's why Goalies still get drafted... sometimes in the first round. If it was purely a matter of random chance, I think they wouldn't be drafted at all.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Lack is no prospect and if he is he is not #7, behind guys who might not hit NHL ice at all this season (or at all).

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Eriksson. I voted at #5 (forgot at #6), so here, for me, is a no brainer. Great season last year and led AIK to a championship.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Ya this done. Start the next one. Our prospect pool is starting to come together. We're gonna have some NHL potential in the double digits.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Voted Lack, but I think Eriksson is a very close runner up. Lack edges Eriksson slightly because he has proven his abilities in the AHL, was a wall most nights when his team can't score. I worry about his hip.

Eriksson should go next because he has had two great seasons, shown the ability to get better in each of the past three, and proven he is one of the best in the SEL. We've all see his gaudy numbers so I won't mention them again. Goldman said Eriksson has the potential to be a franchise goaltender.

----------------

I don't think Subban is a top 10 prospect, maybe top 15, maybe.

----------------

Hutton vs Tommernes. I choose Hutton based on upside, size and willingness to use it. I see both as offensive d men, both can make good outlet passes, great puck movers on the PP, both have good shots and have no hesitation for shooting. I see Hutton as more aggressive in his moving of the puck, whereas Tommernes is more passive in general.

Both have defensive kinks to work out. I have heard on more than one occasion from Frolunda fans that they have grown tired of how soft Tommernes is in his defensive zone. That scares me that this is just déjà vu again of Erixon part 2. Hutton wasn't really used too much in defensive situations, just got spot duty on the PK. Hutton from the couple times I watched didn't have a glaring flaw defensively, but could stand to make better decisions with the puck but still he led his def corp in plus minus by a wide margin.

arsmaster*

Voted Lack, but I think Eriksson is a very close runner up. Lack edges Eriksson slightly because he has proven his abilities in the AHL, was a wall most nights when his team can't score. I worry about his hip.

Eriksson should go next because he has had two great seasons, shown the ability to get better in each of the past three, and proven he is one of the best in the SEL. We've all see his gaudy numbers so I won't mention them again. Goldman said Eriksson has the potential to be a franchise goaltender.

----------------

I don't think Subban is a top 10 prospect, maybe top 15, maybe.

----------------

Hutton vs Tommernes. I choose Hutton based on upside, size and willingness to use it. I see both as offensive d men, both can make good outlet passes, great puck movers on the PP, both have good shots and have no hesitation for shooting. I see Hutton as more aggressive in his moving of the puck, whereas Tommernes is more passive in general.

Both have defensive kinks to work out. I have heard on more than one occasion from Frolunda fans that they have grown tired of how soft Tommernes is in his defensive zone. That scares me that this is just déjà vu again of Erixon part 2. Hutton wasn't really used too much in defensive situations, just got spot duty on the PK. Hutton from the couple times I watched didn't have a glaring flaw defensively, but could stand to make better decisions with the puck but still he led his def corp in plus minus by a wide margin.

Where would you slot McNally in in comparison to Hutton and Tommernes? Hutton and McNally seem to be very similar (both similar size) in that they seem to be puck rushers over puck movers.

I've seen very little of them all really, outside your prospect videos and the prospects camp.

Tommernes seems like he might be a better puck mover, really liked the one pass he made in the scrimmage to spring that one dude for his breakaway goal.

I think I'm still going to put McNally in the top 10.

----

I do agree on Eriksson. He's going next for me too. Probably ahead of where Lack was when we brought him across, so lets hope he continues to develop.

arsmaster*

I like Mallet as much as the next guy and hope he develops into an NHLer, but how does 1 assist in 19 AHL games make you move into the top 10? It isn't as if he lit the ECHL on fire either.

Promising prospect for me, but I can't find a place in the top 10 for him.

Alot of stock seems to be going to a scrimmage here.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Lack is 25 years old and isn't even a prospect.

I mean, I take him over Eriksson but he shouldn't even be on the list.

gurfling

Sep 24, 2004
Wow, this is over already.

Next vote should be really interesting though, I'm not sure who I'm voting for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad