Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #12 prospect?

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
I was reading some Bleacher Reports on this years first round picks... Some of there player comparisons to NHL players were just terrible.. And players ETA to make the NHL were just god awful. Like Shinkaruk was this year.. But other picks in the top 10 were like 2015..

Just a bunch of American baseball/football analysts trying to do hockey. :laugh:

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Been voting for him since Lack. I guess his skating really turns some people off. Seen him play live a few games and his effort and physicality are noticeable immediately.

I think some people are going to be pleasantly surprised.

He'll be an NHLer some day for sure. But he doesn't have any upside in my eyes.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Been voting for him since Lack. I guess his skating really turns some people off. Seen him play live a few games and his effort and physicality are noticeable immediately.

I think some people are going to be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think skating is as important as it once was. Definitely really nice to have, but as long as you aren't Jason Strudwick or Dana Murzyn, you should be alright.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
You don't think Horvat will top out as a 1st liner, just a really good second liner? You think he has the same ceiling as Jensen, although more likely to reach that potential? You have Shinkaruk with a higher ceiling, and as the only potential 1st liner in the system? I've got to disagree on this one. There's a reason Horvat went that high in the draft.

Just a reminder of how their rankings work:

9. Elite Talent
8. First-Line Forward/ No. 2 Defenseman / No. 1 Goaltender
7. Second-Line Forward/ No. 3-4 Defenseman / Journeyman No. 1 Goaltender
6. Third-Line Forward/ No. 5-6 Defenseman / Backup Goaltender
5. Fourth line forward / No. 7 defenseman / depth goaltender
4. Top minor league forward / defenseman / goaltender
3. Average minor league forward / defenseman / goaltender
2. Minor league role-player
1. Borderline minor league player

A – All but guaranteed to reach potential
B – Should reach potential, could drop 1 rating
C – May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings
D – Unlikely to reach potential, could drop 3 ratings
F – A player possessing little potential

Jensen has higher offensive upside than Horvat. I'd give him an 8.0C whereas Horvat is more of a sure thing but isn't quite the as skilled offensively (but he could work to get better). I give Horvat a 7.5B with room to grow because of his work ethic.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
i got kellan lain because i expect him to play games in the nhl this year and be productive in bottom 6 in the next couple.

I also expect Lain to reach the NHL quicker than others might, if for no other reason because of his tools. I want to give him 1 season in the AHL before I vote for him here though, I feel like I need to see him play in more than highlights.

But I don't know who to vote for here tbh, it's a toss-up. Besides Lain I like Blomstrand and Andersson, not to mention Archibald. And I want to put the 3 collegians (or former collegians) around here too.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
If we're strictly talking readiness for the NHL, Archibald is by leaps and bounds the closest of the listed prospects. Andersson is the closest of the remaining defenders, and Blomstrand also looked very good in the AHL (better than Lain in my eyes). Beyond those 3, I would be very surprised if any of the remaining players saw NHL ice this season.

• Cannata needs to get games;
    Grenier needs to prove he can contribute offensively at the AHL level;
    Polasek needs to show he can play at a consistent level in the AHL;
    Lain needs to adjust to the speed of pro-hockey; and
    Friesen will probably never be more than a desperation call-up.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
I'll be voting Cassels until he gets in because I love the fact that he's got a bit of potential skill-wise, but also seems to be very willing to play any role he has to in order to contribute.

arsmaster*

Would it make sense to just populate the next 5 or so spots on the list with the guys who have the most votes in this poll?

arsmaster*

a regular what? nhler? that's high expectations for a guy that played most of last year in the echl.

Was in the AHL from November onwards.

I'm gonna bang the drum one more time....Mallet went in the top 10 and played 19 AHL games with NO production and spent the MAJORITY of his mediocre season in the ECHL.

I'm probably nitpicking on words you used, but when a guy plays 73 games in a season and 55 were at the AHL level, I'd say most of it was spent at the AHL level....most being 3/4 of the season.

He also scored at an almost 20 goal pace, as well as being fairly effective in the offensive zone and not being afraid to drop the mitts.

When Gillis talked about "developing prospects at the NHL level" in my head I envisioned Archibald being one of those guys....because he has all the makings of a 4th liner already, and history shows us he's got a bit of a scoring touch to boot.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Was in the AHL from November onwards.

I'm gonna bang the drum one more time....Mallet went in the top 10 and played 19 AHL games with NO production and spent the MAJORITY of his mediocre season in the ECHL.

I'm probably nitpicking on words you used, but when a guy plays 73 games in a season and 55 were at the AHL level, I'd say most of it was spent at the AHL level....most being 3/4 of the season.

He also scored at an almost 20 goal pace, as well as being fairly effective in the offensive zone and not being afraid to drop the mitts.

When Gillis talked about "developing prospects at the NHL level" in my head I envisioned Archibald being one of those guys....because he has all the makings of a 4th liner already, and history shows us he's got a bit of a scoring touch to boot.

He was also one of the most consistently physical players for the Wolves. Usually had a couple huge hits a game.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Just checked capgeek, and Archibald is listed as an RFA, according to them the first year of his entry level deal was 2010-11. Has he been resigned yet? infact, aren't a couple others like Kellan Lain RFA's?

Just checked the thread on all of the RFAs that were qualified and they are all there. So nevermind this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad