Who is the big upset in first round?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
With the parity, there isn't many series that would really be upsets.

This is the correct take. Outside of Nash-Col, probably not a series that is so lopsided where you'd say "wow!! what an upset!" ala the Wings/Ducks series in 2003

Teams are much closer nowadays. Lower seed advancing won't make anyone say "Well I never saw that one coming". Most of the series the past couple years are slightly more than a coin flip

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
:laugh: I admire your dedication
Just like it was hilarious when you guys swept CHI last year.

It's like its happening all over again. "No way the Avs beat the Preds!" grumble grumble.

I would think a NAS fan would have a little more respect for their opponent after what they did to CHI last year when anyone who even thought of NAS beating CHI was laughed at continually almost exactly a year ago.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

It's like its happening all over again. "No way the Avs beat the Preds!" grumble grumble.

I would think a NAS fan would have a little more respect for their opponent after what they did to CHI last year when anyone who even thought of NAS beating CHI was laughed at continually almost exactly a year ago.
I do respect the opponent. Just wonder what it is you have against the Preds the last couple years.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I do respect the opponent. Just wonder what it is you have against the Preds the last couple years.
I think you take it too personal. Again, I thought it was hilarious that CHI got bounced in the first round in 4 straight and I think it would be hilarious for the same thing to happen to the Preds.

I don't hop on bandwagons and I don't normally chose the popular vote. I also don't normally root for teams that are rivals or who also have not won a cup. I am a selfish sad Blues fan who doesn't want anyone new to win their first cup.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Bolts....

Devils have an excellent shot at advancing.

I wouldnt say excellent but I would agree that this is the one that feels like upset central. I think the Devils are a very underrated team and could surprise anybody.

Wolf Larsen

Jan 10, 2017
I could see Penguins losing to the Flyers. Penguins just don't seem to be in sync at this point.

They can win but it appears the sheen of dominating speed and good enough defense (did I mention the horseshoe that Pit's team proctologist has surgically embedded in our goalies) has worn thin.

I wouldn't bet on Flyers winning but I won't be surprised if the wheels fall off for the Pens this go around. It would be appropriate in dealing with the Flyers as that organization seems to have a chip on its shoulder concerning the Pens. I can't see the Flyers winning the cup so beating Pittsburgh may be its shining moment for the season.

Hopefully it'll be a good series without too many injuries.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Good to be posting with you again. The last time we conversed it was early in the season and you were still convinced the Preds were a fluke and were destined to miss playoffs.......

Anyway, I continue to see people point to the Preds/Hawks series as an example that "anything can happen". I have heard a ton of people doing that, even hockey media.

But I have thought about this alot- and I think our sweep of the Hawks last year was an extreme outlier- I think it was a perfect storm of circumstances- the Hawks were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Preds were supposed to be a cup contender going into the season but for a variety of reasons underachieved and limped into the playoffs. But the Preds finally found their footing and became the team they were supposed to be at the best possible time. It is easy to see looking back now that the Preds were ready to break out and become an elite team, and the playoffs was the beginning of that. On the other hand, the Hawks were a team that was teetering on the edge of a cliff and though no one knew it at the time were close to beginning a steep decline. They had a great record but were kind of a paper tiger and were not nearly as good as their record.

Bottom line- Hawks could not have faced a worse opponent and did so at worst possible time. A perfect storm of circumstances- and the rest is history.....

Now, don't get me wrong, of course upsets can happen and there are no guarantees. It is absolutely possible the Avs could win the series.

But there is really nothing similar about Preds/Avs this year vs. Hawks/Preds last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad