Who is the better Leaf defenseman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
one has played on the top pairing for probably 5-6 years by now while the other has yet to average top 4 minutes in his 4 nhl season's so if your talking straight up whose better the answer is quiet obvious, now if your asking whose been better this year in there role on the team then I would say franson

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
If a mod could add a poll.. That'd be great.

Does it really need one? Think this one is pretty clear cut. Dion gets the most minutes, has consistently produced the most points, and is an asset on both the power play and the pk not to mention his physical edge. Franson has played well, no question about it but the guy has played sheltered minutes throughout his career. Great on the pp, great stickwork, decent physicality but lets see how he handles the top minutes/matchup before the becomes a legitimate question... Both have pretty slow footspeed. Shoudl be interesting to see if they mesh....

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Franson has been great. However there's a big difference playing 26+ min of shutdown role vs other teams top lines and the role Franson currently fills.

If Gardiner/Liles aren't going to get called up or play, I'd actually like to seem them paired together.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Against some of the toughest quality of competition in the league.

Exactly... Why is this even a question?

Franson is being used against the LOWEST QoC out of any D on our team, just like last year. He starts 50.5% of the time in the offensize zone, he plays less than 17 min/game including essentially no time on the PK (0.20 SH TOI/G).

Phaneuf? Highest QoC out of all our D, 26 minutes a night, and leads our D for SH TOI/G.

Franson is being used effectively in a 3rd pairing role, that is all. If he was playing the minutes Phaneuf was against the quality of competition that Phaneuf is, he would be completely exposed.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It's an unfair match up. Optics would suggest it's Franson due to his better stats this season however, Phaneuf is a minute eater on the back end. He plays big minutes in all situations against opposing teams best players. I'm a big Franson fan but this one has to go to Phaneuf.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
As great as Cody Franson has been this year, the fact remains that he has played sheltered minutes. He's improving and is great offensively, but still has some limitations defensively. I look forward to seeing him continue to take on more responsibility.

Dion Phaneuf has played against the top line of the competition every night, with a limited defensive partner. He is the better defenseman historically and currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad