Who is the Best Sabre to Ever Wear the # 10?

Who is the best Sabres player to have worn the uniform # 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I figured with the hockey summer doldrums upon us, I'd run a poll each day on who people think is the best Sabre to ever wear a particular number.

We're up to # 10 and there are 9 players who wore that number at least once. But to narrow it down, I'm only going to consider those who wore the number at least a full season for a reasonable number of games. Sorry Mark Parrish and Cole Schneider.

Brad May will be going in as #27 and not #10 so you will have your opportunity to vote for him there. He had his greatest success with #27.

Only consider how that player played while with the Sabres - so, not their NHL career in general.

I'll stick to the main numbers for which players are known.

Polls will allow voting for two days and I'll post the latest results in each poll.

Results so far:

#1 Don Edwards 77.4%
#2 Tim Horton 96.4%
#3 James Patrick 45.7%
#4 Jerry Korab 52.6%
#5 Mike Ramsey 84.9%
#6 Phil Housley 81.0%
#7 Rick Martin 98.2%
#8 Jim Lorenz 38.1%

Please, no coaching, GM, or owner talk in here!

Your choices are:

Phil Goyette 1971-1972
Craig Ramsay 1972-1985
Dale Hawerchuk 1991-1995
Henrik Tallinder 2002-2010
Christian Ehrhoff 2012-2014
Jacob Josefson 2018

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
Craig Ramsay. 776 consecutive games played. Still the 5th longest iron man streak in NHL history. Dude didn't miss a game for 10 years. 10 years! He's the epitome of blue collar Buffalo guys.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
s-l300.jpg

This was one I had to think about, but I went with Ramsay.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
This is definitely one of the hardest for me so far but Craig Ramsay is the MAN for all the reasons stated above. They named the best leader in the Prospects Camp after him for a reason. Guy was a dream third liner for 10 years.

I LOVE Hawerchuk and his performance when both LaFontaine and Mogilny went down in the 1993 playoffs second round was otherworldly. I have rarely seen a guy put a team on his back in all situations like that. But as good as he was for us when he was here it wasn't for as long a time and he had his best years elsewhere. It just has to be Ramsay.

Oh - and Ramsay won the Selke Trophy the same year he retired.

Buffalo Sabres Legends: Craig Ramsay

Last edited:
Reactions: Eichel9

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
There is always one troll but at least it's easy to see who it is in every poll. :eyeroll:

Anyone who picks someone that receives less than 5 percent of the vote should at least provide a reason.

I do have Tallinder second on this list. Ducky, Tallinder, and Ramsey.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Hawerchuk was the best player to wear the number by far although Goyette was a nice pickup for an expansion team.. however as far as #10 being remembered as a Sabre--has to be Ramsay.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Couple comments:
When Ramsay played, by the mid-late 70s, Ramsay-Luce-Gare were the Sabres 2nd line. Rosters had not yet expanded to 12 dressed forwards per game. Andre Savard was the 3rd line center.

His Selke was awarded as a career recognition. It was known he would retire at season’s end, and it was a well-deserved honor.

Luce-Ramsay were the Sabres #1 PK unit every season they played together.

Reactions: oldgoalie

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Toughest vote yet. I went with Hawerchuk this time based on the HoF argument. But Ramsey was just outstanding winning all those Selke's. As good of a defensive forward as any I've ever watched. It wouldn't be hard to convince me to change my vote to Craig.

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
Hawerchuk is in the Hall mainly because of his time in Winnipeg. He was awesome, and no doubt he had a better overall career than Ramsay, but just based on their contributions as Sabres, Ramsay was a bigger contributor to the franchise. He's still second all time in games played and top 5 all time in points.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Preseason Week 1: Panthers vs. Bills, Aug. 9 at 7 p.m.

Broadcast Information:
  • Buffalo, NY: WKBW
  • Rochester, NY: WROC
  • Syracuse, NY: WSYR
  • Binghamton, NY: WBGH/WIVT
  • Utica, NY: WPNY/WFXV/WUTR
  • Elmira, NY: WETM/EETM
  • Watertown, NY: WWTI
  • Erie, PA: WJET/WFXP
  • Albany, NY: WTEN/WXXA
Play-by-Play: Rob Stone
Commentary: Steve Tasker
Sideline Reporter: Thad Brown

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Preseason Week 1: Panthers vs. Bills, Aug. 9 at 7 p.m.

Broadcast Information:
  • Buffalo, NY: WKBW
  • Rochester, NY: WROC
  • Syracuse, NY: WSYR
  • Binghamton, NY: WBGH/WIVT
  • Utica, NY: WPNY/WFXV/WUTR
  • Elmira, NY: WETM/EETM
  • Watertown, NY: WWTI
  • Erie, PA: WJET/WFXP
  • Albany, NY: WTEN/WXXA
Play-by-Play: Rob Stone
Commentary: Steve Tasker
Sideline Reporter: Thad Brown

Did you post this here because of McCarron? :laugh:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Hawerchuck had better seasons than Ramsey did, and a much better song written in his honor. This is a tough one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad