NFL: Who is the best QB to never reach a SB?

Who is the best QB to never reach a SB?

• Philip Rivers

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Warren Moon

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Dan Fouts

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Tony Romo

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Jim Hart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jim Everett

• Jeff Garcia

• Jay Cutler

• Randall Cunningham

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Jeff Blake

• Other. Please post.

• Dave Krieg

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
i

Who is the best QB to never reach a SB?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'd go with Warren Moon as well. Dude could still ball into his mid-30's for being a runner.

Rivers would be my 2nd choice. He probably would have been at least once had Marlon McCree not f***ed up that interception.

Reactions: Brooklyn

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Warren Moon.

He was on some really good Houston Oilers teams that had championship aspirations but collapsed in the playoffs, mostly by defensive breakdowns and coaching f*** ups.

You can’t blame him for the playoff futility, he did his job..the rest didn’t.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Fouts and Moon are good options.

I'd add Dave Krieg. More career wins than Fouts, and better win % than Moon & Fouts. Long career (19 seasons), like Fouts & Moon. Lot of stops around the league, almost always successful as a starter (minus a hard year as a Cardinal).
Very good career, without a Super Bowl run..

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I got Moon here
Rivers has had plenty of chances, and either he [or his team/kicker] choked away every one

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
May I ask why jay cutler is on this list?

Wtf, Jay Cutler?

Why Wouldn't Cutty be on this list?

He has more TD passes then Garcia , Everett , Hart , Cunningham and Blake
He has more passing yds then Romo , Garcia , Everett , Hart , Cunningham and Blake
He has more 4th qtr comebacks then Fouts , Garcia , Everett , Hart , Cunningham and Blake (Tied with Krieg)

Infact Cutty ranks

28th in NFL history for TD passes (227 TD's)
32nd in NFL history for passing yds (35,133 yds)
20th in NFL history for 4th qtr comebacks (23 4th qtr comebacks)

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's going to be an unpopular opinion but I'd go with Romo. That early-in-his-career muffed field goal attempt stuck with him forever, but he was an upper echelon QB for a decade. 5th highest passer rating of all time (minimum 2,000 attempts) behind Rodgers, Wilson, Brees and Brady.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Fouts and Moon are good options.

I'd add Dave Krieg. More career wins than Fouts, and better win % than Moon & Fouts. Long career (19 seasons), like Fouts & Moon. Lot of stops around the league, almost always successful as a starter (minus a hard year as a Cardinal).
Very good career, without a Super Bowl run..
Kriegs passing numbers are deceptive. If lost fumbles were counted like INTs he would suffer more than anyone.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Kriegs passing numbers are deceptive. If lost fumbles were counted like INTs he would suffer more than anyone.

Warren Moon & Krieg had virtually identical # of lost fumbles.. Fouts had better ball security/net fumbles than both Moon & Fouts. But I checked their career (total) lost fumbles, they were all pretty similar. Doing rough math, it looks like they were losing about 5 fumbles a year, which in the harder-hitting era these guys played in.. doesn't stand out as a unique negative to me. I remember Krieg's career & don't remember this as a knock against him (?) (Not a 'Hawks fan, but I liked Krieg & Largent).
And I do think Fouts was better than Krieg, just thought Krieg deserved a nod in the good, but never-champ list.

Last edited:

member 157595

I'd go with Moon and Fouts from this list.

It's going to be an unpopular opinion but I'd go with Romo. That early-in-his-career muffed field goal attempt stuck with him forever, but he was an upper echelon QB for a decade. 5th highest passer rating of all time (minimum 2,000 attempts) behind Rodgers, Wilson, Brees and Brady.

Guy got a bad rap his whole career but there were definitely worse QB's in big games than Romo.

That said, if you're quarterbacking the Dallas freaking Cowboys, stats are irrelevant. Nothing at all matters in Dallas besides championships (well, that and getting a fresh supply of the aged python blood Jerry Jones drinks to stay alive) and a QB that doesn't lead the Cowboys to at least one title isn't going to be that fondly remembered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad