Who is the best defender in Flyers?

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Schenn's several spots too low. He's been our best defensively

They've all been average to horrible but the above is accurate. Schenn and Del Zotto have been the most consistent dmen so far. Ghost would win the award if he had played since the start of the year

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They've all been average to horrible but the above is accurate. Schenn and Del Zotto have been the most consistent dmen so far. Ghost would win the award if he had played since the start of the year

Before Streits injury, he was unsurprisingly better than Schenn.

Gudas has also been less mistake prone than Schenn.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Who's the worst might be a better question (ManDog doesn't count).

If Manning isn't allowed then I'm going with Luke Schenn.

Both Schenn and Schultz have been bad defensively so far and have zero offensive instincts, but at least Schultz can skate.

Plus if I have to watch Schenn fake a slapshot five times in a row before finally shooting it directly into the opponents legs one more time I'm going to light myself on fire.

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
If Manning isn't allowed then I'm going with Luke Schenn.

Both Schenn and Schultz have been bad defensively so far and have zero offensive instincts, but at least Schultz can skate.

Plus if I have to watch Schenn fake a slapshot five times in a row before finally shooting it directly into the opponents legs one more time I'm going to light myself on fire.

That last sentence... Yes... I want to like L Schenn but I have seen that too many times.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Looking forward to the day when they are all gone. At least that can be by the end of next year. I can't imagine them being re-signed. Maybe Gudas but it won't shock me if he is moved either.

Can't wait to turn the page on this D.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'll be shocked if Gudas isn't re-signed. With LSchenn gone he'd be the only right hander and the only physical presence of the signed defenders.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Ghost is an exceptional offensive D-man who needs to learn to play better defense, but is a future star. Lack of size means he has to get better at positioning and anticipating in the defensive end.

You know... Kimmo would be an amazing coach for the kid since he was a smaller guy as well. Would love to see him come back to the team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'll be shocked if Gudas isn't re-signed. With LSchenn gone he'd be the only right hander and the only physical presence of the signed defenders.

I don't think there is any chance Gudas isn't extended, unless some clown GM comes along and makes a dumb offer for him.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

Schenn - has been consistently average to below average.

Darroll Powe was a consistent 4th liner for us, it doesn't mean that guys aren't better etc.

I don't think you meant this, but I figured I'd throw my 2c in.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gudas has clearly been better than L Schenn.
Gudas has the highest relative Corsi and is just behind Schultz in D-zone starts.
Schultz and Streit are statistically the worst D-men, though Streit gets a bit of a pass due to injury.

Grossman and Schultz were the worst last season.
Statisically, Manning has been decent last year and this year.
MDZ made the biggest improvement over last year.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If that's what the statistics say then it's just further proof that statistics aren't flawless and don't always tell the whole story.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Gudas has clearly been better than L Schenn.
Gudas has the highest relative Corsi and is just behind Schultz in D-zone starts.
Schultz and Streit are statistically the worst D-men, though Streit gets a bit of a pass due to injury.

Grossman and Schultz were the worst last season.
Statisically, Manning has been decent last year and this year.
MDZ made the biggest improvement over last year.

LSchenn was rapidly catching up to Schultz and Streit in terms of OZ start %, and CF% which is now down to 48%. Gudas has a much higher OZ start % than all of them.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...fense&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

At the end of October LSChenn's CF% was 55.6%, and at the end of November it was 50.2%.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1976115

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad