Who is the Beast of the East (Atlantic Division)?

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I think Detroit is going to give us the hardest time given their skill and transition game. I don't think Ottawa has a tonne of skill so their strategy of overloading us with shots plays into our hands. Reimer eats lots of rubber for breakfast.

Boston I think we'll split this year...both teams are quite evenly matched and similarly built.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Until the Leafs really commit to the defensive game as a whole (so for example, playing like they did for the month of February when we were like 10-0-1 something crazy for points). on a more consistent basis, we're never going to get the credit we deserve.

I'm not going to diminish Ottawa. they are a very good team. I said during the pre-season, that the Atlantic is/will be the hardest division in the NHL (which makes sense, because the North East, when every team is clicking, was one of the hardest for ever).

I think the fact that we've not even really played at our full potential yet, should be scaring a lot of teams. when every team is clicking, I truly believe that the Leafs are #3 (I will give Detroit the credit they are due). then Boston, then us. Because again, if you just break it down - Boston's game is OUR game. the cycle set up, the total shut down collapse style on the PK. but our ace in the hole is our speed.

so I don't know who - unless a team totally craps out (not us), it will not surprise me if the final standings is as very close as it was last year.

Montreal (2nd)
Boston (4th)
Leafs (5th)
Sens (6th)
Wings (7th)

sens won one more game than the wings (they were tied for points or something), we had 1 point up on the sens, and we were about, 3/4 points back from Boston/Montreal respectively.

as our end game is almost always regulation wins/loss or a shootout loss - it is critical that we either end it in regulation (with us winning), or gaining more loss points (or better, winning the extra point). Montreal/Ottawa were challenging us all year not because of their play was better (we had the third best record for regulation wins, Chicago/Pittsburgh 1-2), but Montreal/Ottawa kept getting the extra point. (Boston as well).

twill be interesting i'll tell you that.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
I'll never understand how Ottawa is getting pumped up to be this big power house. We smashed them all season last year, and not only that we finished higher than they did yet some how they're one of the favorites to go all the way? How does that make sense ?lol We beat them 4 times last season
I'm no expert, but it might have something to do with Ottawa performing better against the other 28 teams than Toronto has :help:

OT- I wouldn't be surprised to see any of Boston, Detroit, Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto winning the division this year. New divisions, new format in schedule... I don't think there really is a clear favourite. But if I had to mention someone, I'd follow suit with everyone and say Boston.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'll never understand how Ottawa is getting pumped up to be this big power house. We smashed them all season last year, and not only that we finished higher than they did yet some how they're one of the favorites to go all the way? How does that make sense ?lol We beat them 4 times last season

Leafs 3 Sens 0
Leafs 2 Sens 3
Leafs 5 Sens 4
Leafs 4 Sens 0
Leafs 4 Sens 1

Bruins and Red Wings deservedly so are the "beasts" of the East with Pittsburgh right behind them. This is just me saying in general, not how well or poor the Leafs are against them seeing as the Leafs do rather well vs Pittsburgh and Detroit. After that is a toss up between the rest of the division

It also may have had something to do with, you know, losing an entire first line, first defenseman, #1 goalie, among other things. Just saying.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Boston is the team to beat in the East.

But the team that will give the Leafs the most trouble will be Detroit because of the relative styles of play.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't buy the Detroit or Ottawa hype in the least. Nothing remotely "beastly" about those teams. Health and age questions around their few legit star players, and not a ton of depth on either squad.

Boston is still the beast of the division for now, though they're far from unbeatable.

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
I don't buy the Detroit or Ottawa hype in the least. Nothing remotely "beastly" about those teams. Health and age questions around their few legit star players, and not a ton of depth on either squad.

Boston is still the beast of the division for now, though they're far from unbeatable.

This! I feel like we're underrating ourselves here. Boston and Toronto will battle for the Atlantic this year IMO. The Wings, Sens, Habs etc will be slightly down the ladder.

If we can stay relatively healthy and receive quality goaltending we can take the division crown. Lets not forget the Bruins are not even the reigning Northeast champs and theres no doubt we have a better team than Montreal. This year could be a statement year for this organisation.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Oh I so disagree with that! Detroit is an aging team, they're goaltending is not that strong compared to other teams in the Atlantic, I would rank Boston/Toronto/Ottawa for sure ahead of them, they're on par with Buffalo but they should be better then Tampa/Florida. Also lets not forget their defense is leaky, its been that way since Lidstrom retired and upfront while they're skilled its an aging core, everyone of their top players has seen their better days.

I'm not Detroit wont hang around, I have them in the mix for a wildcard positon but no way do I see them anywhere close to taking the division, sorry but they just don't have the youthfulness or roster to pull it off.

It really depends on how many man-games played they lose from their vets over the course of the season. One thing that will serve the Wing well in the East is their wicked PP units.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
detroit is well disciplined and well coached as is boston. i still think boston is ahead of us and the team to beat with tukka rask, gritty play and snipers who win faceoffs.

montreal and ottawa are neck and neck with us. so boston, detroit and pitts are ahead of us, although pitts has a gaping hole in net.

if i had to pick 1, i'd say boston at this point.

other teams below us that have a shot of surging past us are nyr, nyi and washington.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad