Who is the Beast of the East (Atlantic Division)?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I was having a very interesting conversation with my penguins friend about who will give the leafs a hard time. He believes it was the bruins...however my personal view is the senators and the wings.

I think people are really underestimating the senators, who are quite filled with good depth. The wings, who I think will take full advantage with the travel being a lot easier for an older team. If you take a break they'll squash you.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
The Leafs are going to struggle against the teams that are speedy and excel on the transition game. I'm not saying the Leafs aren't fast but they are prone to a lot of turnovers, and they tend to get pinned in their own end for long stretches. So yea, were' going to have a hard time against teams like Detroit, Ottawa and Pittsburgh that are puck possession teams and thrive on the turnovers.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Bruins have had our number for a number of years, until this past year where it became much more even.

Montreal showed the other night that their speed can be lethal. They also aren't a pushover like they were in the past.

Ottawa has good depth and that will to win. Healthy Spezza and Karlsson also go a long way.

Detroit is never down and out.

Between each team having a goalie that can steal a game and a coach on each team that can be a difference maker, I don't see any team beating us all year or us beating them consistently.

Could be my bias, but I see the atlantic as a tougher division than the metro.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

I think the days of Boston steaming all over us have come to an end. Even though we didn't win the series, we still put up a good fight and were with them every step of the way in all the battles. The Leafs now know Boston isnt the boogie man, and they now know we are a force to be reckoned with in all areas. If anything I think we overtake the Bruins this year.

BayStreetBullies*

Naturally, the beast from the east: Bam Bam Bigelow

FLO_1_td17bam1_227751_1117.jpg

On a more serious note, I expect Boston and Detroit to be at the top. Leafs, sens, and habs will battle it out for 3rd and 4th. Although with the team we have this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs finished 1st in the division.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Majority say Bruins, but I don't think were far behind them at all. Red Wings are overrated IMO, but they keep doing it somehow.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Beast of the east or the team that will give the Leafs the hardest time? Two completely different things.

Tampa Bay and even Florida have given us a hard time in the past. Even with them most likely not getting into the playoffs, I can see both or one of them taking the season series.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Beast of the east or the team that will give the Leafs the hardest time? Two completely different things.

Tampa Bay and even Florida have given us a hard time in the past. Even with them most likely not getting into the playoffs, I can see both or one of them taking the season series.

At taht time they had roloson :laugh:

I don't know I dont think this will be a regular playoff race...but more challenging/

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Bruins, I just feel like they have the most talent on their roster. Even if they don't do well during the season, that team is just built for the playoffs.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Why is everyone so quick to rule the Leafs out from winning the east?

1. We have 2 scoring lines in JVR/Bozak/Kessel, Lupul/Kadri/Clarkson
2. We have legit goaltending in Riemer and Bernier
3. We have a gritty bottom 6 (Bolland, Raymond, Mcclement, Orr, Mclaren, Ashton)
4. Our blueline is deep and well rounded in Phaneuf/Gunnar/Franson/Gardiner/Fraser
5. We have toughness in Orr/Mclaren/Fraser/Ashton/Bodie

The only glaring weakness I see is lack of a 1C but still man we are well rounded and a very tough team to play against most nights.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Majority say Bruins, but I don't think were far behind them at all. Red Wings are overrated IMO, but they keep doing it somehow.

Which means they aren't overrated. Overrated teams fail to deliver. The Wings rarely do.

I'm picking the Wings. Think they will walk over the Atlantic this season if they can stay healthy.

Great coach.

Some world class forwards.

Very good goaltending to really take care of that questionable D.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Which means they aren't overrated. Overrated teams fail to deliver. The Wings rarely do.

I'm picking the Wings. Think they will walk over the Atlantic this season if they can stay healthy.

Oh I so disagree with that! Detroit is an aging team, they're goaltending is not that strong compared to other teams in the Atlantic, I would rank Boston/Toronto/Ottawa for sure ahead of them, they're on par with Buffalo but they should be better then Tampa/Florida. Also lets not forget their defense is leaky, its been that way since Lidstrom retired and upfront while they're skilled its an aging core, everyone of their top players has seen their better days.

I'm not Detroit wont hang around, I have them in the mix for a wildcard positon but no way do I see them anywhere close to taking the division, sorry but they just don't have the youthfulness or roster to pull it off.

hockeyfanz*

Boston
Detroit
Ottawa
LEAFS
Tampa Bay
Montreal
Buffalo
Florida

Leaf should be good enough for one of the wildcards. Nonis has done a good job of getting the team more playoff saavy IMO.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I was having a very interesting conversation with my penguins friend about who will give the leafs a hard time. He believes it was the bruins...however my personal view is the senators and the wings.

I think people are really underestimating the senators, who are quite filled with good depth. The wings, who I think will take full advantage with the travel being a lot easier for an older team. If you take a break they'll squash you.

Disagree on both counts, although they're certainly good enough to make the playoffs.

Boston looks to be the clear best team until proven otherwise.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005

I don't see it personally. I think there's reasons to suggest Ottawa finishes ahead of us but not for "good depth". I think our Top 9 forwards are better.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Not sure how anyone could feel it's the Sens after we routinely tooled them last year.

OP isn't giving Boston the respect they have earned.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
The Leafs are going to struggle against the teams that are speedy and excel on the transition game. I'm not saying the Leafs aren't fast but they are prone to a lot of turnovers, and they tend to get pinned in their own end for long stretches. So yea, were' going to have a hard time against teams like Detroit, Ottawa and Pittsburgh that are puck possession teams and thrive on the turnovers.

We played very well against Ottawa and Pittsburgh last year. I could see Detroit giving us fits though.

Boston will be the beast of the East.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I'll never understand how Ottawa is getting pumped up to be this big power house. We smashed them all season last year, and not only that we finished higher than they did yet some how they're one of the favorites to go all the way? How does that make sense ?lol We beat them 4 times last season

Leafs 3 Sens 0
Leafs 2 Sens 3
Leafs 5 Sens 4
Leafs 4 Sens 0
Leafs 4 Sens 1

Bruins and Red Wings deservedly so are the "beasts" of the East with Pittsburgh right behind them. This is just me saying in general, not how well or poor the Leafs are against them seeing as the Leafs do rather well vs Pittsburgh and Detroit. After that is a toss up between the rest of the division

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad