Who is the 5th best NHL player of all time?

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
I saw an article the other day about the top five players and someone had Tretiak. I was thinking in terms of just the NHL though. Sorry, another one of these threads but a friend of mine were having a childish fight about it :laugh:. Top four in no order are the obvious ones, Gretz, Mario, Orr, Howe. That fifth slot to me seems TBD.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
The Rocket.

mauricetherocketrichard.jpg

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Gretzky, Orr, Howe i agree with but I rank Messier and Chelios above Mario. Maybe Lidstrom 5th and Mario 6th

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
This is a question that has been covered numerous times on the History of Hockey board, so you can find answers with a great level of detail and effort behind them over there. To keep it short, my answer is Bobby Hull...but you can find valid arguments for guys like Richard, Beliveau, Shore, and Harvey.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
This is a question that has been covered numerous times on the History of Hockey board, so you can find answers with a great level of detail and effort behind them over there. To keep it short, my answer is Bobby Hull...but you can find valid arguments for guys like Richard, Beliveau, Shore, and Harvey.

I did search it and there were plenty of arguments either way however sometimes it was difficult to make heads or tails of it. Figured on this side we might get a different, if anything a more exposed opinion of what the collective minds of hockey junkies think.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Bobby Hull. Counting his WHA career he scored more than 900 goals implying that he had a chance to be the first in scoring.

He can also be cosidered as best of all time.

PS Didn't see luch of Orr tapes compared to, say, Hull but something tells me he is a bit overhyped. It is American culture to love one single moment not the whole career.

fashi13

Feb 13, 2008
Gretzky, Orr, Howe i agree with but I rank Messier and Chelios above Mario. Maybe Lidstrom 5th and Mario 6th

No way, as a lifelong Caps fan who absolutely hated/hates the penguins, Mario is the most talented/dominate hockey player ever. He should never be lower than 2.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Bobby Hull. Counting his WHA career he scored more than 900 goals implying that he had a chance to be the first in scoring.

PS Didn't see luch of Orr tapes compared to, say, Hull but something tells me he is a bit overhyped. It is American culture to love one single moment not the whole career.

Ignoring the fact that it's a goofy assertion to claim what Americans like and it's not usually Americans ranking players. What's the single moment that over hypes Orr?

BTW it's pretty much the entirety of Howes career that makes him a legend. So that flies in the face of your theory.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I think he's one of those guys where the romanticism of what he could do gets a bit out of hand at times, but he won eight consecutive Norris trophies, two Art Ross trophies as a defenseman, and statistically dominated GF/GA numbers when he was on the ice. There's questions about the competition level of the era he played in, but what he was able to do was amazing beyond a single moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad