Who is our "rival"

dnmccoy

Nov 18, 2013
Columbus
Was at the game talking with some people and got on the subject of rival games and it seemed everyone has different ideas. Who would you consider to be our rival. I thought the Penguins, but for me its their fans that bother me more than the team. I love playing the red wings, and love when boll and tutu tee off on each other

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
The most immediate rival for us will be the Flyers probably. Pitt, at this time has smacked us around to much, but when we beat them in the second round of the playoffs this season, they will start to become more of a rivalry team to CBJ. I still hate the Blues though with passion, as their team and their fans are a bunch of jackasses.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I still hate the Red Wings with a passion. Everyone else in our division, except for Carolina, is already preoccupied with other rivals. It's hard to hate Carolina and almost impossible to hate their fans.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
To be determined. To me, the strongest rivalries are (1) within your division and/or (2) forged in the playoffs. With the change of the playoff format, our rival will be determined in the playoffs in the coming years. There are definitely some things that could lead to the Rangers becoming that rival. With the history with Nash, Brassard, Dubinsky, Anisimov, etc. there's definitely no love lost between our teams.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
At the moment, we have no rival. That status has yet to be earned.

Agreed. I also agree with Lee it is hard to hate the Canes right now, and I do see lots of parallels between their team/fanbase and ours. However, most of our division have longer-standing rivals, while the Canes and us are the odd men out. Due to the musical chairs theory of rivalry, I predict that the Canes will become our biggest rivals.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Oddly enough the Jersey fans were talking some major trash about us when we played them. I've never really considered the Devils for a rival but I guess there's potential there. And I still über hate the Blues.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Ok, I deeply, deeply hate the Blues. With an intense passion. Much of that is because I can't stand their coach because I think he teaches guys to play dirty.

But for a rival? Pittsburgh is natural but they are a lot better than us so far. So I am not sure how intense that can be as a rivalry.

Flyers? Yeah, just because of their style of play and the intensity of their fans. Of course the Pens and Rangers are their traditional rivals. But there is real potential for an intense hate affair with the Flyers.

Rangers? We have a winner !!!! With all the players that have been exchanged between the teams, this is a natural. I am sure Dubie is already annoying his former teammates. And I must say, the guys we traded to the Rags, Nash, Brassard and Dorsett rank incredibly high among my least favorite former Jackets. Maybe even the top three. So for me, personally, right now it is the Rangers. I want to see Brass suffer, Nash lose and Dorsett beaten down.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The closest we had was Nashville and St. Louis. But since we rarely play them now, nobody yet.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Ok, I deeply, deeply hate the Blues. With an intense passion. Much of that is because I can't stand their coach because I think he teaches guys to play dirty.

I've heard a lot about Hitch, but never have I heard that he teaches guys to play dirty. :huh:

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It doesn't matter now, but I thought Minnesota would have been a good rival because we both came in the same year. We're both Big Ten cities and there was a lot of familiarity with each other.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
To be determined. To me, the strongest rivalries are (1) within your division and/or (2) forged in the playoffs. With the change of the playoff format, our rival will be determined in the playoffs in the coming years. There are definitely some things that could lead to the Rangers becoming that rival. With the history with Nash, Brassard, Dubinsky, Anisimov, etc. there's definitely no love lost between our teams.

At the moment, we have no rival. That status has yet to be earned.

I agree with the above. None yet and its the players who develop the rivalries imo, not the fans. And for it to be a true rivalry it has to go both ways. The Jackets have never been good enough to achieve rivalry status with any team.

If we finish 2nd or 3rd and win the series, a rivalry will be born.

The other factors in building a rivalry are time, incidents leading to bad blood between the teams, and how competitive the games are.

Last edited:

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
The Blue Jackets have no rival. It's one of the reasons I hoped the CBJ would stay West with Nashville, St. Louis & Chicago.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I think there are a lot of teams without natural rivals. Colorado, Dallas, Carolina, Washington, Buffalo, Minnesota, Phoenix, Nashville, etc. I could probably go on.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I would say Nashville had a rival--- us. Both teams admittedly hated each other. But with us switching conferences, that rivalry is no longer hot.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
This again? This and naming a captain.

I'll give you the short and sweet. When we have one you won't have to ask. You'll know.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
We hate you guys in Carolina. You make our blood boil.

:sarcasm:

Oddly enough the Jersey fans were talking some major trash about us when we played them. I've never really considered the Devils for a rival but I guess there's potential there. And I still über hate the Blues.

Devil fans pretty much hate everyone.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I used to consider Detroit our biggest rival. The proximity of the teams to the Michigan-OSU rivalry contributed to this. Also, we got swept out of the first round by the Wings in 09.

Realignment changed that and we no longer share a division with Detroit (whose closest division rivals are now Buffalo and Toronto).

Before last year's playoffs were even over I started to hate the Penguins, and especially their captain Sidney Crosby. In general I don't like any of our division rivals (every other team in the Metro sans Washington has at least one Stanley Cup while we do not), but the Penguins, given the history between Ohio sports teams and those of Pittsburgh (the Browns-Steelers rivalry of the NFL comes to mind), top my list. Second is the Flyers, I can't stand fans of any Philly team, whether they are Flyers, Eagles, Phils, Sixers, Owls, Wildcats, Hawks, Quakers, Explorers, or Dragons (if you can guess what the last 6 are you get a cookie) - from reading stuff online I know how Philly sports fans can be. Third on my list is the Devils - being somewhat (but not fully) religious, the name "Devils" offends me. Also, Rutgers is joining Ohio State in the Big Ten in July.

Because of realignment, I no longer hold any ill will towards Chicago, Nashville or St. Louis either, we now only play those teams twice a year.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Big Five plus one. Chocolate chip, please.

You got it

As an additional aside, baseball hit king Pete Rose (who's currently unwelcome to organized baseball) played for both Philly and an Ohio team for most of his career, that OH team being the Reds.

That being said, I would love to visit Philly one day, but I don't know if I want to go to a sporting event there. Philly fans are not known to be kind to visiting fans. Maybe I can to WFC, LFF, or CBP for a concert, but it would take a lot of courage for me to go to a sports event there.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
Was at the game talking with some people and got on the subject of rival games and it seemed everyone has different ideas. Who would you consider to be our rival. I thought the Penguins, but for me its their fans that bother me more than the team. I love playing the red wings, and love when boll and tutu tee off on each other

The Staal's are our biggest rival. Along with anyone from Thunder Bay...Racke included.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad