Who is our best forechecking winger?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Just curious what you guys think. Condra is pretty good on the forecheck, but I don't find him to be very physical. I think Zibanejad would be the perfect fit for this if he were a winger, but alas, he is not.

Thoughts?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
When i saw Silfverberg live against toronto he looked realy dominant, he also scored a goal that game,

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
condra is so effective on the forecheck because he just knows where to be. pageau seems to have the ability to slip in front of the defenseman picking up the puck and stealing it. greening in the playoffs was doing a great job of separating people from pucks. that line was great.

smith when he's firing on all cylinders, zibby, alfie, and silf are in the second tier of our forecheckers i believe.

my memory is too bad to rank the other players or even to be sure that this is how i would rate them, lol. i'd have to watch a bunch of games in a row again.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Alfredsson. Hands down.

Silfverberg displayed phenomenal forechecking and board play where he always came out with it during some real brilliant stretches by him, he will be dominant soon but besides that, Condra is basically our best so far.

Speaks volumes with our lack of forechecking ability from the winger positions.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Alfie and Condra lead our team in takeaways but didn't hit very much while players like Greening and Smith played physical while having slightly less takeaways than our top 2 wingers.

I guess it depends on what your definition of forecheck is. Some would just consider it puck pressure others would believe it is how hard a person both hits and hoe easily he takes away the puck.

Milan the God*

Id say Neil.

Neil could be the best based solely on reputation. Players see him coming and rush plays to avoid getting steamrolled.

I'd have to go with Alfie as well. He has no quit in him, especially on winning puck battles and along the boards. He's great on the forecheck.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Alfie or Neil. Should be Greening.

The Ruutu-Kelly-Neil line was a crazy good forechecking line.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
chris neil. he's by far the guy that opposing defenceman have to think about and worry about on the forecheck. he can catch you, and if he does, he can hurt you.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Watching the sens play live it is quite easily silverberg and neil

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I see forecheck as pressure the other team to make mistake. IMO, Neil is great at finishing check but is not necessarily a good forechecker.

Best winger is Condra. Suprisingly, Latendresse was good at breaking plays and creating turnovers.

Zibby and Pageau are the best forechecking forwards.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lmao, that's nice but how is it helping his forecheck, not much.

That's your opinion & I couldn't disagree more with you comme d'habitude. Greening was our best player against Pitt & constantly forechecks unlike the two Swedes who constantly do fly-bys rather than forecheck. While Alfredsson is a good forechecker I can remember throughout these playoffs yelling at Silfverberg & Zibanejad for flying by & not finishing their checks. They were invisible when the going got tough unlike Greening who was one of the few who actually scored against Pitt, something the two Swedes get paid to do but didn't.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That's your opinion & I couldn't disagree more with you comme d'habitude. Greening was our best player against Pitt & constantly forechecks unlike the two Swedes who constantly do fly-bys rather than forecheck. While Alfredsson is a good forechecker I can remember throughout these playoffs yelling at Silfverberg & Zibanejad for flying by & not finishing their checks. They were invisible when the going got tough unlike Greening who was one of the few who actually scored against Pitt, something the two Swedes get paid to do but didn't.

Greening was brilliant in the series against Pitts but hitting =/= forechecking even though I can definitely agree he was one of our best though in that particular series he was below average before that. I want a bigger sample.

Though I definitely think he is supposed to be our best forechecker with his package he hasn't been consistent or very effective up until the Pitts series.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
At taking the puck from guys? Alfie. He's the king of keepaway.

At getting in quickly and chasing guys down? Condra. He's got so much speed.

Physically? Neil. Everyone in the league either knows, or learns the hard way, that they can't give him a chance to hit them on the forecheck, because he will floor them if he get a chance.

Honorable mention to Greening. He has great size and speed. You can't ignore that combo. Its just dangerous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad