Player Discussion Who is our 2nd best player?

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I was inspired by a mains poll that asked if you would trade your 2 best players for the Sedins in their draft year (so a career of the Sedins.) Now obviously McDavid is our best player but since we traded Hall, I think the identity of the #2 guy on the team is a little muddy. So what do we think, who's the First Mate?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Eberle will likely have the most impact after Mcdavid, even if they all end up on the same line. Eberle is clearly the second most talented forward on the roster and the only player on the team with any proven ability to carry a line, but the lack of dimension to his game along with his lack of ability to make an impact when the physicality gets dialed up will always hold him back.

Lucic, RNH, and Pouliot are complimentary forwards who are incapable of driving offense on their own, leaving Drai/Puljujarvi as the lone threats to become impact players without depending on someone else to carry them, but that exists entirely as potential and is likely several years down the road from being realized.

Pretty slim pickings after that though. Would be nice if one of the defensemen could step up into that status, but it's unlikely with the current roster of D.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I think it will quickly emerge as Larsson but as of right now it should be RNH.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Tough call. IMO it'd be RNH if he plays like he did 2 seasons ago. After him it'd be one of Draisaitl (he was truly dominant for that stretch last season and I for one do not think that he was a product of Hall but that instead they were equally responsible for that stretch), Lucic (most dominant player outside of McDavid when he decides to take over a game), Eberle (offensively) and Klefbom (guy was playing at a very high level last season). I haven't seen enough of Larsson to know where he'd rank but given the price that we paid for him he should be in the conversation and likely is.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
This poll makes me realize how much I miss Hall.

I'm gonna vote RNH for now, Klefbom for future. Lots of potential for other guys. Larsson, Drai, Ebs, and Pulju all have the potential IMO.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I have a hard time answering this because of so many variables. One of which is position. I was going to say Eberle, then I was going to say Nuge, and Talbot fits right in there as well, along with possibly Larsson from what I've read and seen on hilights and Klefbom.

So my answer is all of the above.

Where do I vote?

:D

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Great thread.. tough call either way..
Voting RNH... doesn't have 2nd highest value but is 2nd best player IMO.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Voted Nuge but if it's not Klef or Larsson this time next year we are in trouble.

This exactly, this is eberle though, and I have a feeling will be till pulju takes over which can be a few years, trading hall took a huge chunk out of this teams talent, no way around that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad