Who is Meeting, Exceeding or Falling Short of Expectations?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He's doing fine in his current role, but I expected him to be a first pairing defenseman alongside Jones this year. Thus, he has fallen short of my expectations while Werenski (who I expected to be on the third pairing) has exceeded them.

For a #2 overall pick to be a third pairing D 4 years after being drafted...I'd say that is not quite the expectations we had for him. That said, I think he'll settle in as a solid second pairing D with Savard in the years going forward, so that should be a real good top 4.

Of course he is playing on his "wrong side" helping Nuti. I'm guessing that is why he is a 3rp pair guy and not JJ who couldn't be as trusted with the rookie.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't think Murray's ice time or pairing is due to his play but rather due to his stability. I said it over the offseason, but for this team to take a step forward, Seth Jones needs to be the one to develop. Murray taking a developmental step forward is nice, but his game is very self contained. I anticipated Murray playing a style similar to Hjalmarsson and that's so far what he's looking like.

He was our #3 guy until he got injured (#2 in ice time sometimes trading with Savard and just behind Jones). Jack Johnson stepped in next to Savard and those two have been very good together. Murray meanwhile is playing on his off-side next to Nutivaara and has been solid. If Werenski or Johnson goes down, I fully expect Murray's TOI to jump by ~4 minutes a night.

I'm also becoming more convinced that we'll lose a defenseman (probably Johnson) in the expansion draft.

A few asides:

1. Nutivaara reminds me of Kris Russell in his time here. Smaller frame, best suited to passing and skating the puck. Developmentally he'd probably get the most out of top TOI and PP time in the AHL, but we don't necessarily need him to become a top guy with Jones, Werenski, Murray, and Savard. He's our 6th best defenseman and it's nice to see the team rewarding him.

2. Lukas Sedlak is filling in nicely on the 4th line. If he can learn to win face-offs at above a 50% rate, he'll solidify his place in the NHL for the foreseeable future. He's a +5 which is what you want out of a guy like that.

3. Don't look now but Josh Anderson is on a 24 goal pace for his rookie season. He fights, he's big, and he's a locker room leader. A very nice addition and perhaps one of the best developmental jobs the Jackets have done in their history. I think he's learning a lot playing next to another big power forward in Scott Hartnell.

4. I've been wondering if Jenner's slow start has been partially due to the fact that he took a LOT of reps at center in the offseason. He's turning it around but still isn't near the number of chances he created last season.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Pretty much every player is exceeding my expectations. But to be fair, my expectations are never high. I'm curious to see if Bob can stay healthy. I'm glad Foligno is proving he can play at a high level without Johansen.

My MVP player by totally exceeding my expectations is Atkinson. He's really turning the corner from the one dimensional player he's been. I don't give a crap about he goal/point totals, it's about his ability to play in all three zones now - all play well.

Wennberg still sucks at faceoffs, but he's taking another step forward in his development.

Savard still lives on the edge, but he's on the right side of it. I think in a seven game series against a Montreal or Chicago he gets exposed, but at least he's playing better than he did to begin the season.

Jones is coming along. I like how Jack Johnson has taken on kind of a quiet leadership role. He's playing however they want him to and he's playing a solid overall game.

There's good things to say about almost everyone, Jenner is kind of coming out his funk. I still say we'd be better of with him at center.

Later all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad