Who is Meeting, Exceeding or Falling Short of Expectations?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Are the players on - or expected to be on - the opening day roster meeting your expectations, falling short of your expectations or exceeding your expectations so far this season? This exercise says as much about us (our expectations) as it does the team (their performance). Here's mine:

FORWARDS:
Dubinsky: Meets
Foligno: Meets (after a season of falling short)
Wennberg: Exceeds
Saad: Meets
Jenner: Short
Atkinson: Meets
Hartnell: Meets
Sedlak: Meets
Anderson: Exceeds
Bjorkstrand: Short (expected to make the team)
Calvert: Meets
Gagner: Exceeds
Karlsson: Meets
Hannikainen: Meets
Miano: Meets

DEFENSE:
Jones: Meets
Werenski: Exceeds
Murray: Meets (maybe this could be Short)
Johnson: Meets
Savard: Meets
Nutivaara: Exceeds
Prout: Meets (never had high expectations of him)
Harrington: Meets

GOALIE:
Bobrovsky: Meets
McEilhinney: Meets
Korpisalo: Short
Forsberg: Short (.921 avg is not bad, but I expect more of him at the AHL level)

COACHING STAFF:
Exceeds

FRONT OFFICE:
Meets

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Don't really disagree with any of your assessments, although I might switch two if I had to:

Foligno: exceeds - yes, maybe this rebound was expected of him, but I wasn't sure that two years ago wasn't a fluke and he's matured into the captain role more than I was expecting this year.

Murray: short - was expecting a big year after being paired with Jones in the World Cup - I know you were debating to go this way too.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'd change a few based on my own expectations:

Murray, Dubi short,

Foligno, Hannikainen, Sedlak, Gagner, Saad, and Johnson all exceed my expectations.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
FORWARDS:
Dubinsky: Short
Foligno: Exceeds
Saad: Exceeds
Atkinson: Exceeds
Sedlak: Exceeds
Bjorkstrand: Short
Karlsson: Exceeds
Milano: Meets

DEFENSE:
Murray: Short/Meets
Johnson: Exceeds defensively, short offensively
Prout: Meets

GOALIE:
Bobrovsky: Exceeds
McEilhinney: Exceeds
Forsberg: Meets

COACHING STAFF:
Exceeds

FRONT OFFICE:
Meets

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Are the players on - or expected to be on - the opening day roster meeting your expectations, falling short of your expectations or exceeding your expectations so far this season? This exercise says as much about us (our expectations) as it does the team (their performance). Here's mine:

FORWARDS:
Dubinsky: Meets Short but gaining on meets
Foligno: Meets (after a season of falling short) Exceeds I had him at 40-50 pts
Atkinson: Meets - Slightly exceeds
Bjorkstrand: Short (expected to make the team)
Karlsson: Meets
Miano: Meets

DEFENSE:
Murray: Meets (maybe this could be Short)
Johnson: Meets
Prout: Meets (never had high expectations of him)

GOALIE:
Bobrovsky: Meets Exceeds - he is flashing Vezina form
McEilhinney: Meets
Forsberg: Short (.921 avg is not bad, but I expect more of him at the AHL level)

COACHING STAFF:
Exceeds

FRONT OFFICE:
Meets

Mostly agree except for bolded.

Obviously the team has far exceeded my expectations.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Nothing new to add, but Bjork and Jenner is on my most disappointed short list. Jenner is heating up though so there is hope he can put together a good year still. Not 30 G good, but if he can get into the 20's I would consider that to be good.
Bjork, I just hope he gets another chance, I thought he would be tearing it up. I'm not even sure how well he is doing in Cleveland right now, but with Anderson playing very well, who knows when we might see him again.
Bob, Werenski, Cmac, and Anderson are playing suprising well to me. In all honesty, I could list a half dozen players in the exceed column and still forget someone though. As a whole, the team is exceeding at this point IMO.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Id honestly think about throwing Savard in the "exceeds" column, dude has been solid and I dont thinks anyone really expected it. Nutivaara could play more as well.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
FORWARDS:
Dubinsky: Short
Wennberg: Exceeds by a lot
Atkinson: Meets
Bjorkstrand: Short
Milano: Short

DEFENSE:
Murray: Short
Johnson: Exceeds
Savard: Exceeds
Nutivaara: Exceeds, of course I had no expectations of him

GOALIE:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Nothing new to add, but Bjork and Jenner is on my most disappointed short list. Jenner is heating up though so there is hope he can put together a good year still. Not 30 G good, but if he can get into the 20's I would consider that to be good.
Bjork, I just hope he gets another chance, I thought he would be tearing it up. I'm not even sure how well he is doing in Cleveland right now, but with Anderson playing very well, who knows when we might see him again.
Bob, Werenski, Cmac, and Anderson are playing suprising well to me. In all honesty, I could list a half dozen players in the exceed column and still forget someone though. As a whole, the team is exceeding at this point IMO.

With all due respect, some of you guys had wildly unrealistic expectations for Bjorkstrand that he'd never meet.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
FORWARDS:
Dubinsky: Meets
Atkinson: Exceeds
Sedlak: Exceeds

DEFENSE:
Jones: Exceeds - he was -11 in 41 games last year
Werenski: FAR Exceeds
Murray: Short
Johnson: Exceeds
Savard: Exceeds

GOALIE:

COACHING STAFF:
Exceeds

FRONT OFFICE:
Meets - they didn't have any options to change the team except for shedding a couple of salaries. We'll see what they do at the deadline.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

Just stat watching, he has been alright at Cleveland. He has 11 points in 18 games, 7 goals.. Personally, I'm in the boat- That unless there are injuries or his/Milano/Korpi's play starts to force that you bring them up, I let them play in Cleveland.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
WannbeFin's list is my list.

Dubinsky - we're not paying him to be a 27 point center (his current pace)
Foligno - has to be exceeds. Last year was terrible for him, but he's on pace for 70+ points which would far exceed his contract value.
Jenner - has fallen off a cliff after last year's 30-goal effort. On pace for less than 30 points this season.
Murray/Johnson - could say meets, but that's mostly because of the emergence of Werenski on the PP and top pair. Ideally, these guys should have SOME goals and more points 23 games in.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Just stat watching, he has been alright at Cleveland. He has 11 points in 18 games, 7 goals.. Personally, I'm in the boat- That unless there are injuries or his/Milano/Korpi's play starts to force that you bring them up, I let them play in Cleveland.

An injury call up would be the only way he could make it back right now with how well the team is playing IMO.

With all due respect, some of you guys had wildly unrealistic expectations for Bjorkstrand that he'd never meet.

I'd have to check my past posts, but I don't think I was one of those claiming he'd score 30G or such. I figured he had the opportunity and talent to make a legitimate impact here though. I am just surprised he had such a short leash and comparing the chances Milano got, I figured we would see him back by now. Unfortunately for Bjork, the players in front of him have done very well.

It must suck for Bjork, but its a good problem for the club and fans. I'm just glad Kerby's dad isn't his at this point.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
My list is very similar to Lee's original gradings with these differences:

Dubi - short
Cam - exceeds. He has posted great numbers playing with two linemates with grades of "short"
Foligno - exceeds. Not only is is scoring ahead of where I expected in a bounce back year, he has been the undisputed leader of this team.
Murray - short
Johnson - exceeds. My grade is based on a solid rise from the baseline he had set (which was not good).
Bob - meets if based on the high expectations I have of him, but certainly exceeds recent years performances.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm not overly impressed with any individual player this season, outside of Anderson and Werenski just because they are producing at or above veteran levels.

We are hands down the best team in the league without a top 20 forward, top 10 dman, or top 5 goalie (statistically speaking).

That speak volumes about the success and sustainability of this team.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not overly impressed with any individual player this season, outside of Anderson and Werenski just because they are producing at or above veteran levels.

We are hands down the best team in the league without a top 20 forward, top 10 dman, or top 5 goalie (statistically speaking).

Are we better than the Rangers hands down?

I don't know what lists you are appealing to, it really depends on what you are measuring. If it's this year the Jackets have Saad in between McDavid and Crosby on ES P/60, and Atkinson, Foligno and Wennberg all also in the top 20 in points per game. Werenski is in the top 10 in D scoring. Bob has a .930 sv%.

I don't know how much of that is sustainable, but I will argue that this is a skilled team.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
You could make an argument that Atksinon/Saad/Wennberg/Foligno are all right there at that top 20 line of forwards, and Werenski is a top 10 Dman if you look at point production.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
For my personal expectatations:

Meeting:
Bobrovsky (he's a top paid goalie, the team relies on him to play like a top-5 one)
Jones (Expected him to establish himself as a top pairing player)
Johnson (Expected good 2nd pairing guy)
Saad (Expected 30 goals, near PPG)
Atkinson (Expected close to 30 goals)
Calvert (Expected him to be a 3rd/4th line catalyst)
Murray (Expected him to be quiet but stable #2/3 player)
Savard (Expected him to be a good 2nd pairing guy)
McElhinney (Expected him to only be in 15-20 games but be OK)
Dubinsky (Expected him to be our top defensive center)
Hartnell (Expected ~20 goals)

Exceeding
Werenski (Expected him to start out on the 3rd pairing and have some issues adjusting)
Karlsson (Expected him to be a 4th line ~30 point guy)
Wennberg (Expected 10 goals, 40 assists, 50 points)
Foligno (Expected 20 goals, 20 assists)
Gagner (Didn't know if he'd stick with the team)
Anderson (Expected 4th line NHL/AHL tweener)
Nutivaara (Expected him to go back to Europe or the AHL)

Falling Short
Bjorkstrand (Expected 20 goals, 20 assists)
Jenner (Expected 30 goals)
Korpisalo (Expected him to establish himself as a 1B guy)

Last edited:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Are we better than the Rangers hands down?

I don't know what lists you are appealing to, it really depends on what you are measuring. If it's this year the Jackets have Saad in between McDavid and Crosby on ES P/60, and Atkinson, Foligno and Wennberg all also in the top 20 in points per game. Werenski is in the top 10 in D scoring. Bob has a .930 sv%.

I don't know how much of that is sustainable, but I will argue that this is a skilled team.

If you apply per game weighting, then a few of our guys break into the top levels, but the point is simply that outside of the Calder, you won't see any individual award nominees from this team based on current stats.

Bob is statistically 6th in the league based on sv% and gaa. He isn't carrying the team, and no single skater is having a Rocket, Hart, or Norris level season.

We have a winning system and 18 skaters that buy into it, plus a solid #1 goalie and backup. My point is that is a good thing.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Murray (Expected him to be quiet but stable #2/3 player)

Do you think he's been that? I like the way he is starting to move in the last few games, but I'd count this year as his worst as a pro, to start. I agree with those who say he's been more of a 4/5. I thought he was a stable 2/3 in the last half of last year so I'm definitely disappointed.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Only targeting those actually on the 22 man roster and for their contributions (not just points)....

Exceeds
Wennberg
Foligno
Anderson
Atkinson
Gagner
Werenski
Johnson
Bobrovsky

Meets
Saad
Hartnell
Karlsson
Sedlak
Calvert
Savard
Nutivaara
McIlhenney

Short
Dubinsky
Jenner
Murray

Hard to grade Prout and Harrington - neither stood out in a good or bad manner in a limited showing. I also tried to base this off historical precedent and pundits and league wide expectations. The CBJ as a team is far exceeding expectation and the moves, such as Murray to the 3rd pair, have made this team better which can also hamper their contributions. Solid team, top to bottom right now.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Not a single star player on the squad, except maybe Bobrovsky.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015

90% on the coach, Torts found his new home.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
There is some disagreement here on Murray. I say he meets expectations. The only reason I think some "short" him is because his play has been overshadowed by Werenski, and Jones. Those two have been playing in situations where maybe Murray gets the opportunities otherwise. He is doing just fine in his current role.

We all agree that Jenner has been short, but he has really picked up his game in the last little while. His rating should change if he keeps rebounding.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
There is some disagreement here on Murray. I say he meets expectations. The only reason I think some "short" him is because his play has been overshadowed by Werenski, and Jones. Those two have been playing in situations where maybe Murray gets the opportunities otherwise. He is doing just fine in his current role.

We all agree that Jenner has been short, but he has really picked up his game in the last little while. His rating should change if he keeps rebounding.

He's doing fine in his current role, but I expected him to be a first pairing defenseman alongside Jones this year. Thus, he has fallen short of my expectations while Werenski (who I expected to be on the third pairing) has exceeded them.

For a #2 overall pick to be a third pairing D 4 years after being drafted...I'd say that is not quite the expectations we had for him. That said, I think he'll settle in as a solid second pairing D with Savard in the years going forward, so that should be a real good top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad