Who is in, Who is Out in 2018-19?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
With all of these prospects, I've been mulling how we are going to create some development space on the roster, while also realizing that the window to push for a Cup may be this year and next year (e.g. Chara's tenure).

Here are the prospects who I believe will be ready to be NHL players:

Bjork
Cehlarik
JFK
Maybe Blidh
Maybe Donato
Maybe Zboril

Here are the expiring contracts

Spooner
Nash
Vatrano
Schaller
Chara

I think we have to resign Chara for one more year, as he is still very effective in a defensive role. That means Zboril remains in PRO for at least one more season, which is probably not a bad thing.

Vatrano is probably out. We have too many one way deals. No real growth in his game.

Schaller is probably another re-up on a one-year deal. I wouldn't mind Blidh taking his spot, but I think Schaller has proven more and is good for that role, so its his to lose.

Here is where it gets hard. Nash has found chemistry with Backes and Heinen, and they form the perfect third line. However, coming off a career year, and at the age of 29, he will want a multi-year deal. Overpaying role players on long term deals, sound familiar? I think Nash is probably the first sacrifice, and Backes moves to the middle to make room for a RW prospect.

Spooner is another hard call. He seems to have finally found a spot next to Krejci, although it is early in the experiment. I always wanted to see him on the right wing, as I figured he would maintain speed better and not shuffle step in the neutral zone. Seems like it's working. Given that Bjork has shown no chemistry with Krejci, I'm tempted to take another 1 year deal with Spooner and bring him right to UFA, just to have an insurance policy next year. Then again, if we can return a 2nd round pick for him at the 2018 draft, I'd probably take it.

So, ultimately, I have the same roster as this year, except Bjork joins Backes and Heinen on the third line.

Anyone else?

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
"Spooner
Nash
Vatrano
Schaller"

Spooner is playing on borrowed time IMO, Nash I think this team may keep for veteran depth but I feel they should move on, Schaller will drop the gloves and would like to keep for the 4th line but if he is blocking a kid let him go. Vatrano never really reached his potential with this team, I feel another team will take a chance on him.

Chara will re-sign and stay in Boston. Mentor our young defenders.

I hope they trade Krug however. It also seems like the team still needs to make a decision about Miller and McQuaid.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Schaller and Nash are very replaceable. It's not that they're making a ton of money, it's just that equally affordable and more talented players are available through the system.

JFK keeps getting better at Providence. Donato looks like a guy who can step right in from the campus to the ML roster. They will compete for Nash's job.

Blidh could easily replace Schaller. But I'd rather have a more skilled player on the fourth line. If Cehlarik doesn't make the second or third line, he could drop down initially.

The Chara thing is a little tricky. He's played well defensively this season but has clearly lost a step or two. Nice to have him around for another year, but if Z Light shows he's ready, or Sweeney acquires another LHD in trade, Chara and his expected contract may be an unaffordable luxury.

And Spooner may be very mush elsewhere.

Reactions: Strafer

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My big fear is that Sweeney has a bout of Chiarelli-itis and reups Nash on a long term, overpriced deal based off of this season. Hopefully he realizes that the guy is really nothing more than a JAG and lets the youth movement continue, but this is by far my biggest fear heading into this off season.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think Spooner is going to make it a hard choice for the Bruins but I think when they evaluate their cap space situation, they'll let him go - for what I'm hoping is just picks to help restock the cupboards that are quickly being emptied out because these kids are good enough to play in the NHL.

I'd like to see something like this:

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pasta

DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Bjork

Heinen -- JFK -- Backes

Schaller -- Kuraly -- Cehlarik

extras: Acciari, callups

Chara -- McAvoy

Krug -- Carlo

Grz -- Miller

extras: McQuaid, callups

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
My big fear is that Sweeney has a bout of Chiarelli-itis and reups Nash on a long term, overpriced deal based off of this season. Hopefully he realizes that the guy is really nothing more than a JAG and lets the youth movement continue, but this is by far my biggest fear heading into this off season.
I think Nash will get a two year deal at best from the Bruins, at a reasonable rate for the Bruins. If he doesn’t like it he can test the market and make an informed decision about what’s best for him. He is having a good year but he is or should be aware that his replacement is already in house, just a question which kid they would give his job to.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
The team will look like what it is depending on if spooner and Nash are offered contracts and they like them

I think they'll offer Nash something like 3 mill for 2, and he's worth it imo - I know that's the same money Kelly was signed for but 3 mill now is reasonable for Nash.

Not so sure they'll offer spooner money but if they do, I think there is a higher chance of him signing else where if neither of those guys sign I think you're looking at JFK replacing Nash and Cehlarik replacing spooner

I think Vatrano and schaller are out and two guys will make the team out of providence. Something like Bjork and Cave

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Schaller is probably another re-up on a one-year deal. I wouldn't mind Blidh taking his spot, but I think Schaller has proven more and is good for that role, so its his to lose.

Here is where it gets hard. Nash has found chemistry with Backes and Heinen, and they form the perfect third line. However, coming off a career year, and at the age of 29, he will want a multi-year deal. Overpaying role players on long term deals, sound familiar? I think Nash is probably the first sacrifice, and Backes moves to the middle to make room for a RW prospect.

I let Schaller go and keep Nash to fill the same role on the 4th line with the ability to play up. Yes Nash will probably cost twice as much, but he is dramatically better. Schaller has had his moments but he brings nothing that isn't replaceable from the farm

In terms of Backes, he is not a Center on this team. I don't believe after playing him 2 years almost exclusively at RW, they are suddenly going to switch him back to C.

Reactions: Strafer

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
I think Spooner is going to make it a hard choice for the Bruins but I think when they evaluate their cap space situation, they'll let him go - for what I'm hoping is just picks to help restock the cupboards that are quickly being emptied out because these kids are good enough to play in the NHL.

I'd like to see something like this:

DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Bjork

Heinen -- JFK -- Backes

Schaller -- Kuraly -- Cehlarik

extras: Acciari, callups

Chara -- McAvoy

Krug -- Carlo

Grz -- Miller

extras: McQuaid, callups
Very solid lineup right there!

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Not sure where Backes fits on this team...Any chance he gets traded?

DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Cehlarik

Heinen -- JFK -- Bjork

Blidth-- Kuraly/Donato -- Backes

extras: Acciari,

Chara -- McAvoy

Grz-- Carlo

Zboril -- Miller

Krug traded for futures

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Too early to speculate who will be back and who won't be.

But clearly moving forward there is not really enough room at the inn for everyone.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I'm gonna guess there will be some posts about "poor asset management" coming after the playoffs.
My guess is Sweeney stays with the current players for the playoffs, or a minor trade.
I see him keeping all the D, based on what happend last year, and maybe packaging Spooner and a prospect to improve that spot.
Looking at their contracts: Boston Bruins - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Nash, Schaller , Chara, Postma, and Khudobin are UFA's.
My guess is Sweeeney keeps them for the playoffs, and lets Schaller and Postma go for nothing.
Chara resigned and Nash, if Nash is reasonable otherwise gone for nothing.
Will not be surprised to see Nash get a decent contract and price himself out of Boston.
Khudobin maybe resigned if reasonable as well. He's had a great year, so some team might offer more than the B's are willing.

Spooner, Kuraly, Vatrano, and Grzelcyk are RFA.
RFA compensation: Offer sheet - Wikipedia
I think Kuraly and Grzelcyk are signed.
I think Spooner and Vatrano are gone for compensation. My guess is Spooner signs for less than 4 million so they get a 2nd and
Vatrano signs for less than 1.2 and compensation is zero.

So if the B's go out in round 1 or 2, I'm thinking some will complain about the asset management of the players not coming back,
but I agree with the move.

Reactions: DKH

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Heinen -- JFK -- Bjork

Chara -- McAvoy

Grz-- Carlo

Zboril -- Miller

Krug traded for futures

Backes fits in the role he's already in. A rookie will be traded before he is....The top 4 just went from good to a weakness once you dealt Krug for futures and inserted Grzelcyk into his spot. Also, what has Blidh done at the NHL level to uproot Acciari?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Backes fits in the role he's already in. A rookie will be traded before he is....The top 4 just went from good to a weakness once you dealt Krug for futures and inserted Grzelcyk into his spot. Also, what has Blidh done at the NHL level to uproot Acciari?

Since his recall in late March of last year, Noel Acciari has been scoring at an almost 20 goal pace if it can be believed.

And not a chance Ryan Donato is centering the 4th line next year. Not a knock on Donato, but that isn't a spot I can see Cassidy using him, considering he prefers a more traditional 4th line. It isn't even guaranteed Donato ends up in the NHL as a center at all, if anything it's far more likely he starts off as a winger.

Square Hammer*

Jan 22, 2017
Nash will price himself out of Boston with his play this season.

I’m all for the youth movement and moving on from Nash, but it’s a shame how he’s still being disrespected by being called “JAG” in this thread.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Nash will price himself out of Boston with his play this season.

I’m all for the youth movement and moving on from Nash, but it’s a shame how he’s still being disrespected by being called “JAG” in this thread.

Nash has been awesome this season, and a big part of the team's recent success. I think as a GM sometimes you have to make a hard choice to just let go of a player at the top of his game. The NE Patriots m.o. is that its better to move them out a year early than a year late. I tend to agree with that, especially with talent waiting in the wings.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
My guess is Spooner is gone by the deadline. Either way, chances are slim that he's back for the 18/19 season IMO. Just too much youth who can do the same thing as him for a fraction of his qualifying price.

They will let Nash walk. Please do not reward a career year at 29 playing up in the lineup.

Schaller is a tough one. I could see him being brought back as veteran depth. At the same time, Kuraly will be 25 and Acciari 27 next year. If he want's a dime more than he's currently making, I'm comfortable with Blidh. Every penny matters.

Chara will be back.

Re-sign Vatrano. Slip him though waivers come the end of training camp if he doesn't make the team. There's a player here I believe. Pretty sure his agent with push for a parting of ways however.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
My guess is Spooner is gone by the deadline. Either way, chances are slim that he's back for the 18/19 season IMO. Just too much youth who can do the same thing as him for a fraction of his qualifying price.

They will let Nash walk. Please do not reward a career year at 29 playing up in the lineup.

Schaller is a tough one. I could see him being brought back as veteran depth. At the same time, Kuraly will be 25 and Acciari 27 next year. If he want's a dime more than he's currently making, I'm comfortable with Blidh. Every penny matters.

Chara will be back.

Re-sign Vatrano. Slip him though waivers come the end of training camp if he doesn't make the team. There's a player here I believe. Pretty sure his agent with push for a parting of ways however.

More likely vatrano is traded and spooner is kept

I think they'd like to trade spooner because he makes the most sense and would probably garner the biggest return, but JFK is still a year out and Krejci has been having injury problems all season. Trading spooner hurts the team unless they get a good forward back in return...or a top 4 defensemen but I don't see that deal out there do you?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
As some have said, way too early to speculate this since things can change real quick.

That being said, I'd try to extend Nash at 2 years/2.25 million. Gives him a raise and only adds 225K to the cap. Honestly anything more than that I'd cut bait. This team cannot fall into overpaying role players again.

Same goes with Schaller. I like his game, but he's replaceable.

Spooner probably plays out the year and isn't tendered a contract. I'm done with him. Vatrano as well. Too much upcoming wing depth to have them blocking kids.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Heinen -- JFK -- Bjork

Chara -- McAvoy

Grz-- Carlo

Zboril -- Miller

Krug traded for futures

You are putting Cehlarik, a guy that while talented, can’t seem to stay healthy for more than 2/3 weeks in the Top 6 and demoting/trading Backes?? And also bringing Zboril in and trading another proven vet in Krug?

I like the influx of youth as much as anyone, but the B’s have been extremely fortunate with the way McAvoy, Grizz, Heinen, and DeBrusk have developed and produced this year. Not sure they will be able to plug in three more rookies and expect the same results.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
As some have said, way too early to speculate this since things can change real quick.

That being said, I'd try to extend Nash at 2 years/2.25 million. Gives him a raise and only adds 225K to the cap. Honestly anything more than that I'd cut bait. This team cannot fall into overpaying role players again.

Same goes with Schaller. I like his game, but he's replaceable.

Spooner probably plays out the year and isn't tendered a contract. I'm done with him. Vatrano as well. Too much upcoming wing depth to have them blocking kids.

If Spooner keeps producing points as he has, he's going to get tendered an offer, even if you don't like the player (and I'm not a fan either).

We'll see if he can continue to put up points, as we've seen these good 10 game stretches out of him before. But realistically he's trending toward be qualified.

One thing to note on Spooner, he's arbitration eligible again. So worst case, they qualify him, go to arbitration and agree or award a 1-year deal, and he's a UFA the following summer in 2019.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Here's the thing with Spooner though, I don't want him blocking a kid next season even if he's only on a 1 year arb deal. Trade his rights in that case.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Here's the thing with Spooner though, I don't want him blocking a kid next season even if he's only on a 1 year arb deal. Trade his rights in that case.

You trade him once the kid has pushed him out in October.

If he produces relatively consistently this year, they won't have trouble moving him if they feel they are better off with any of JFK/Cehlarik/Bjork in his line-up spot come October.

The one argument to trading his rights before arbitrations is he may have more value to a team that can negotiate it's own deal with him.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
You trade him once the kid has pushed him out in October.

If he produces relatively consistently this year, they won't have trouble moving him if they feel they are better off with any of JFK/Cehlarik/Bjork in his line-up spot come October.

The one argument to trading his rights before arbitrations is he may have more value to a team that can negotiate it's own deal with him.

That's all fair. I'd still lean towards moving on from him this offseason.

Full disclosure, I've never liked Spooner's game so I'm probably biased, but I'll give him credit, he's shown a willingness to at least battle and go into the dirty areas this year which is something he had been hesitant to do in the past.

His problem for me, and I've mentioned it in another thread somewhere, is that he's typically been someone who doesn't shoot the puck as much as he should, especially on the PP.

Again, he's been much better as of late, so let's see if he continues that trend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad