Speculation: Who is Habs best value pick over the past 5 years?

Best value pick?

• Rafael Harvey-Pinard 7th round (2019)

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Jakub Dobes 136th OV round (2020)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sean Farrell 124th OV (2020)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Joshua Roy 150th OV (2021)

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Adam Engstrom 92th OV (2022)

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Lane Hutson 62th OV (2022)

Votes: 44 49.4%
  • Owen Beck 33th OV (2022)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • William Trudeau 113th OV (2021)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jesse Ylonen 35th OV (2018)

• Alexander Romanov 38th OV (2018)

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • Jordan Harris 71 th OV (2018)

• Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
That thread is a tribute to our scouting staff who have done an incredible job at revamping our prospects pool over the past few years and one of the biggest reasons the franchise has a so bright future going foward. Picking only 1 wont be easy since there are so many great options, but Im asking you guys to pick who you feel was the highest value pick taking into consideration where he was picked in the draft and the potential you foresee.

Last edited:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I get that they might look like good picks now, but imo a player can't be a "best value pick" unless they

a) play in the NHL and being value on the ice
b) got traded to another team for a solid package because another team thought they were that good

That leaves RHP, Harris, Romanov, Ylonen?

I'd go with Romanov, who we were able to trade for a 13th OA pick really early on.

It could become RHP if he continues to play that well - being a 7th OA and all.

Xhekaj wasnt drafted, but I'd out him as HM due to being as free as possible

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Right now, Romanov. A 2nd round pick that we were able to turn around for Kirby Dach. Pretty sweet.

RHP is definitely runner up. Yes, he's on a hot streak. Still, kid has hands, a nose for the net & hockey smarts. Think he can be a pretty good top 9 forward for us.

Jake Evans is in 3rd. Another 7th round pick. Just the fact, we have 2 7th rounders on the team is pretty amazing. Jake is a killer pker and all round good defensive player. Good to see him back.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I get that they might look like good picks now, but imo a player can't be a "best value pick" unless they

a) play in the NHL and being value on the ice
b) got traded to another team for a solid package because another team thought they were that good

That leaves RHP, Harris, Romanov, Ylonen?

I'd go with Romanov, who we were able to trade for a 13th OA pick really early on.

It could become RHP if he continues to play that well - being a 7th OA and all.

Xhekaj wasnt drafted, but I'd out him as HM due to being as free as possible
I get that not everyone know our prospect pool that well, but Im asking people who they think will have the biggest impact down the road vs where they got picked. Personally I hesitated between Engstrom and Hutson and think there is no wrong choice at that point, but with Engstrom you get the total package, very high floor and some legit upside.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Jordan Harris so far.

Hutson obviously could blow this out of the water, but it's unclear how his game will translate to the NHL

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I thought we'd have learned a lesson of praising the scouting staff for "winning drafts" that ultimately lead to nothing. Maybe we can revisit this when one (1) of these players hits even 30 points in the NHL.

Reactions: BLONG7 and amethyst

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I get that not everyone know our prospect pool that well, but Im asking people who they think will have the biggest impact down the road vs where they got picked. Personally I hesitated between Engstrom and Hutson and think there is no wrong choice at that point, but with Engstrom you get the total package, very high floor and some legit upside.

Gotcha, I mosunderstood the question as "as of today", ie without the "down the road" part.

Makes sense, I'm curious to see what others that follow the prospect pool have to say! I read a ton of good from Hutson and Engstrom (especially Hutson though), so I can only hope they achieve good things at the NHL level!

I thought we'd have learned a lesson of praising the scouting staff for "winning drafts" that ultimately lead to nothing. Maybe we can revisit this when one (1) of these players hits even 30 points in the NHL.

You know, I've been pretty pessimistic regarding this team for a while (probably close to 10 tears now).

And I'm not a huge prospect connoisseur, but I do try to read people's takes on here and check their stats. And from what I gather, it has actually been a while since we had the sort of early success that we're seeing.

For a while, past the first round (and even within it), our prospects never really dominated their league at any point. They never did much at the world junior championships, didn't win or get nominated to individual awards. This crop though?

Hutson and Farrell are finalists for the Hobey Baker this year. Caufield won it a few years ago. Hutson I read has something like the most points oer game for a defenseman since Leetch in the NCAA?

Joshua Roy led the LHJMQ in pts last season. Big part of the U20 World championship team who won the gold medal.

Dobes won best goalie in the MCAA (B1G?)

Kidney is tearing uo the Q

Then obviously guys like Romanov whi jumped from unknown to KHL to NHL without missing a beat, a guy like Engstrom who seems to be doing well in the SHL at 19, RHP who's actually dokng well at the NHL level as a 7th rounder, etc.

Idk, perhaps I'm misremembering, but I don't think we've had many players even participate to the WHC U20 before those crops of prospects. Let alone drafting guys who would go on to dominate their leagues.

Anyway, it's a bit early to p'an the parade, but there's definitely reasons to be optimistic. At least when compared to other crops from the past 10 years, when most players tended to not even make it to the AHL

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldenhands

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Jake Evans has 57 points... so... umm, yeah

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
As for actual, realised, value and not potential, this can only be either Romanov or Jake Evans.

Romy was solid for us and is now Kirby Dach, who has been good already for us and is going to be a core piece for us for years.

Evans is a 7th round pick who continues to be a lock in our bottom 6 and PK unless he's hurt. RHP has to do what's he's been doing for a couple more seasons before leapfrogging Evans in the value league.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well, the guy we traded Romanov for did.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Really can't say because they are all at different stages.

Right now it would be RHP.. a 7th round pick who's scoring goals in the NHL.. but Jake Evans is more established as a role player and was also a late pick.

Potentially it could be Hutson, Engstrom, Roy, Dobes or Farrell.

Just too many unknowns but good question.

habstradamus

Jul 1, 2018
Brussels, Belgium
I responded Romanov. he actually got us a top 15 draft pick which got us Dach. As for others, there may be some good value but until they actually deliver, all it is is hope not value.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Anyway, it's a bit early to p'an the parade, but there's definitely reasons to be optimistic. At least when compared to other crops from the past 10 years, when most players tended to not even make it to the AHL
Sure sounds good to me but this sort of front running celebration sits uneasy after 10+ years of let downs.

When a few of our prospects succeed where they need to (the NHL) Habs fans will surely throw many triumphant celebrations where we can assess which pick was the best value.

That said, Hutson seems cool.

Reactions: abo9

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I took a guess and put Farrell... but it will depend a lot... Hutson is definitely looking like he might become something very very special...

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
As many have said, too many unknowns to make a confident pick.

Hutson sure looks like a good answer, but there is still a lot of risk there. Engstrom looks great, but it's early. Dobes, sure, but goalies trajectories are hard to evaluate. I went with Joshua Roy. I expect him to be a very good player. Much more well rounded than we would have thought around draft time.

habstradamus

Jul 1, 2018
Brussels, Belgium
Le beau petit Rafael Harvey-Pinard
I thought a few seconds about RHP then I was reminded of Rem Pitlick last year. What players do in a small sample should be tempered. I also asked myself how much the HABS would get for him if we were to trade him. My conclusion was to vote for someone else.

We can revisit this in a year and he could be my vote. I really like what I am seeing but let's wait for a greater sample.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Caufield…by a country mile.

Is the best Goals per game in the 2019 draft at .43…..ahead of Hughes who is .35

He will be the best goal
Scorer of the entire 2019 draft and was picked 15th overall

Reactions: abo9

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Agreed.............way too soon to be going there....

There are a lot of great choices, if things pan out.....this, is how Tampa built their Cup Contending team, by drafting well, top to bottom in the draft, and then a program to develop their kids.

Better days ahead guys, but it is hard to be patient.

Caufield…by a country mile.

Is the best Goals per game in the 2019 draft at .43…..ahead of Hughes who is .35

He will be the best goal
Scorer of the entire 2019 draft and was picked 15th overall
I think this thread is talking kids who are value picks, and not in the 1st round.

But yes, CC is the best pick we have had in years!!

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad