Who is going to get the bigger contract, TT or Pearson

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If either one of them gets over $5M, Dean should step down.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Neither one deserves 6 million. I'd prefer 5 year/20 million, but would go to 5 year/22.5 million. Neither have proved enough to warrant that kind of money.

Toffoli is the superior player. This is Pearson's first solid, consistent season.

Albeit it's hard to say neither is consistent enough when the entire offense is a giant pile of ****.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Toffoli gets the bigger number, Pearson gets the bigger raise. Since neither guy is going to double their recent production over the last few years anymore, they should both be traded for younger, cost controlled options before they start giving them larger contracts. Not just because of that, but also to recoup some of the lost value of Brown and Gaborik.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
My best guess is Pearson gets 4.25 over 6 years. Comparable to the Killorn contract.

Toffoli could go for another bridge deal hoping for a bounce back and negotiate for more money next year, or get something like 5 over 5/6 years.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I hope DL can get both at that golden number of $4.75 for both...
5 years x $23.75 million.. anything more is overpayment for one year wonders so far

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Toffoli's rough year (injury or not) may wind up a blessing in disguise, he was on his way to a 7x7 deal (or something close) with another 30+ goal season.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I hope DL can get both at that golden number of $4.75 for both...
5 years x $23.75 million.. anything more is overpayment for one year wonders so far

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think they'll get similar deals. Pearson is much more useful than the general public knows, even if TT is the sexier name because of his sniping. Goal scorers typically have more value but Pearson is that good.

I would say TT would get a discount but I have a feeling management knows what they have in him and that he's playing through an injury. They also probably have some goodwill loyalty reward built up in their heads for him quickly signing to accommodate the Lucic deal. If his agent is a stickler about it, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get one more short bridge "show me" deal (1 year?), but I get the feeling he's gonna get paid. Probably both 5 million, long-ish deals.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
At the beginning of the season I would've said Toffoli, but that's not happening. I can see Toffoli taking another bridge deal, but I don't think that will happen. Both Toffoli and Pearson should get around the same. 5-6 years around 4.5 I think is more than fair.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
At the beginning of the season I would've said Toffoli, but that's not happening. I can see Toffoli taking another bridge deal, but I don't think that will happen. Both Toffoli and Pearson should get around the same. 5-6 years around 4.5 I think is more than fair.

Bridge deals would take both players into free agency, as both have one or two years of RFA status left (I believe), so it wouldn't make any sense to give either player the opportunity to hit free agency at 25 or 26.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Bridge deals would take both players into free agency, as both have one or two years of RFA status left (I believe), so it wouldn't make any sense to give either player the opportunity to hit free agency at 25 or 26.

That's why I don't think it will happen. I can see Toffoli's agent push for another bridge deal, but not Dean.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Both have similar goals per game numbers (of course that would change if TT goes on tear and pots 5 or 6 by the end of the year) but right now , based on current career numbers

TT average is 29 g, 60 pts

TP average is 24 g, 46 pts (However this year he's at 60 pt pace over 82 )

Playoffs
TT 21 pts in 43 games .48
TP 15 pts in 30 games .50

Toffoli did the Kings a favor taking the bridge deal last time, I don't see his agent going that route twice. And his agent is the same as Toewes and Kopitar, and his job is to get the best deal , fair market value for his client. Given his track record, he doesn't bend, he draws a line in the sand and that's it. It's not his concern that DL has CAP issues due to prior contracts.

Best guess is that TT will get 6 M (like Saad and Monahan ) and TP just under that 5 to 5.5 range.

The agent is working for his client, not the team. DL has to know by now that both of these players are worth that fair market value and a big part of the team's future. Which is why Muzzin or AMart will have to go to she d$$$ or if they can get a taker for Gabby, with a high draft pick and player or prospect they'll do that.

Last edited:

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I think DL should not give either player over $5 million. And if they give an ultimatum of $5MM plus or we walk, he should let them walk. First of all, this is Pearson's first solid season. I don't see him being a consistent 30+ goal scorer. His peak is being a consistent 20 goal scorer that adds speed to the lineup. IMO, that is worth $4 million long term contract.

Toffoli, despite his off year, has that killer instinct and deserves a little bit more than Pearson. I don't think he is worth $6MM, but $5MM long term makes sense. Ideally, we sign both these players for under $9.5MM.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I think DL should not give either player over $5 million. And if they give an ultimatum of $5MM plus or we walk, he should let them walk.

Both players are restricted free agents with arbitration rights, so while they have rights, they are limited. After the Kings give them a QO, players have the right to file for arbitration by July 5th if they don't come to an agreement. They can continue to negotiate up to the arbitration date, usually in August. Most of the time they come to an agreement, as players in particular don't like going through the process. After presenting each side's case, the arbitrator sets the salary, which the Kings can accept or walk away from, making the player a UFA. The Kings would be foolish to let either of these players walk away for nothing. It's GM suicide. The teams hold more of the cards, although arbitration can be a bit of an equalizer. History shows that players in this position that are in the upswing usually sign long-term deals. If the player doesn't sign by Dec 1st, they have to sit out the entire season.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I would offer them matching 4-5 year deals at 4.5 AAV right now. I don't think either of them deserve over 5 mil a year at this point

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Both players are restricted free agents with arbitration rights, so while they have rights, they are limited. After the Kings give them a QO, players have the right to file for arbitration by July 5th if they don't come to an agreement. They can continue to negotiate up to the arbitration date, usually in August. Most of the time they come to an agreement, as players in particular don't like going through the process. After presenting each side's case, the arbitrator sets the salary, which the Kings can accept or walk away from, making the player a UFA. The Kings would be foolish to let either of these players walk away for nothing. It's GM suicide. The teams hold more of the cards, although arbitration can be a bit of an equalizer. History shows that players in this position that are in the upswing usually sign long-term deals. If the player doesn't sign by Dec 1st, they have to sit out the entire season.

Thanks for the insight. Forgot about the arbitration rights under these circumstances.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Both have similar goals per game numbers (of course that would change if TT goes on tear and pots 5 or 6 by the end of the year) but right now , based on current career numbers

TT average is 29 g, 60 pts

TP average is 24 g, 46 pts (However this year he's at 60 pt pace over 82 )

Playoffs
TT 21 pts in 43 games .48
TP 15 pts in 30 games .50

Toffoli did the Kings a favor taking the bridge deal last time, I don't see his agent going that route twice. And his agent is the same as Toewes and Kopitar, and his job is to get the best deal , fair market value for his client. Given his track record, he doesn't bend, he draws a line in the sand and that's it. It's not his concern that DL has CAP issues due to prior contracts.

Best guess is that TT will get 6 M (like Saad and Monahan ) and TP just under that 5 to 5.5 range.

The agent is working for his client, not the team. DL has to know by now that both of these players are worth that fair market value and a big part of the team's future. Which is why Muzzin or AMart will have to go to she d$$$ or if they can get a taker for Gabby, with a high draft pick and player or prospect they'll do that.

This is about right. There's no way Toffoli signs for less than $5 million with any term. Best the Kings can hope for is $5.25-5.5 million for Toffoli and $4.5-4.75 for Pearson. Right around $10 million for the pair, optimistically speaking. Probably going to end up around $11 million for the pair.

These two are the present and future of the Kings up front for the next 5 years. To think the Kings should try to get them each for less than $5 million a year or let them walk is probably not realistic.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
This is about right. There's no way Toffoli signs for less than $5 million with any term. Best the Kings can hope for is $5.25-5.5 million for Toffoli and $4.5-4.75 for Pearson. Right around $10 million for the pair, optimistically speaking. Probably going to end up around $11 million for the pair.

These two are the present and future of the Kings up front for the next 5 years. To think the Kings should try to get them each for less than $5 million a year or let them walk is probably not realistic.

In my eyes Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson are products of playing with Jeff Carter, neither is worth over $5.5 million per but will obviously demand it.. Both are still one year wonders but have the look of 30G scorers.

Saad is a more consistent player than both while Monahan is just a better player than either rand is worthy of the contract, the question is are both TT and TP worth that much money to the Kings?? Keep in mind DL isn't afraid of trading young guys for establish stars aka the MR and JC deals... Im pretty sure a TT+JM deal could net us a Matt Duchene type talent to help rejuvenate the offense and clear cap space at the same time..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad